Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Nevermind 20C, it's going to be a long long long time until 15C is reached again at this rate.. it could be well into May before it is. I'm not sure I've ever seen an April where 15C hasn't been reached. It'll be interesting to see where this fits in, in terms of records... I suspect it could finish the coolest for some time here.

Posted

Warm weather fans can't complain at the moment though- okay it was over 2 weeks ago but we did have that superb and almost unprecedented warm spell in March in which many places recorded several consecutive days over 20c in glorious sunshine. I had never experienced 20c in March before in the UK, so that was quite something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

My forecast I posted back in Feb for March/April has been almost spot on about March being much above average and April being much cooler than last year and more showery, wish the warmth would return though i'm sick of being cold all of the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Today was the best day of the current week and even then it felt chilly at times when the sun went in. I cant say its felt pleasantly warm at any point this month so far.

Still i am pleased that i managed to see this coming week's unsettled weather coming and cancelled my annual leave and moved it to May when it will be warmer and hopefully drier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Models have backed away from any heat tonight, a southerly tracking jet looks likely to be relentless well into may now and culminating on the GFS 18z run in another arctic blast for scotland giving blizzard conditions for the highlands.

h500slp.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I look forward to a wet April..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well we're certainly into this manky pattern now - northern blocking and endless low pressure over the UK.

We do need the rain and I for one don't begrudge us getting some. But can't say its enjoyable for the most part.

The sunshine & hefty showers last week was great - it got some moisture into the ground but you still had sun too. Good growing weather.

This past few days has been dire though- I really struggle to understand how folk enjoy it. Just so restrictive and makes day to day getting around so difficult.

Last night the roads were gridlocked with alot of angry drivers doing lots of stupid things because of it. Cycling between that in the pouring rain isn't fun. And no sign of turning the heating off - or even down!

This is my first year I'm really getting into gardening properly. After a great start everything is getting water logged and without sun is growing much more slowly.

My worry is if we get a naff spring or naff summer my efforts will be wasted. Peppers and tomatoes do not like this weather - and neither do I!

Fine to roll out to the end of April with this pattern but after that here's hoping we can change to something warmer & sunnier.

No sign yet but then there was no sign of the drought easing into April either - and now look!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Similar feelings here. I was originally hoping for the prospect of a return to 'sunshine and showers' from Friday through to at least Monday but the latest model outputs have toned up the southerly tracking jet somewhat, which usually makes the pattern somewhat less straightforward with fronts in the mix giving cloudier skies and belts of more continuous rain.

The weekend is still looking favourable for bright weather and sharp thundery showers but next week could well end up rather cloudy as well as showery. It is perhaps one of the frustrations of living at the downwind end of the Atlantic, though a greater emphasis on frontal type rain will be more helpful towards alleviating the drought situation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Just over 8 weeks 'til the days start getting shorter - yeehaa! The more of those weeks which can be like now,the better.

Which means another 14-15 weeks more of them being this long or longer! Wonderful - the best time of year is here! (but booo to the rain haha)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Just over 8 weeks 'til the days start getting shorter - yeehaa! The more of those weeks which can be like now,the better.

Remember though its not untill late September that it gets dusk before 19:00 so we have many weeks yet of usable light nights weather permitting of course

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I enjoy the change in day lenght in the UK, it adds to variety, in my opinion.

Posted

Which means another 14-15 weeks more of them being this long or longer!

Ye - in my haste I'd overlooked the fact that in those 8 weeks leading up to the longest day,the day length will be increasing all the while. Shucks. Ah well,nowt I can do about it. Enjoy your summer anyway; I know you love it. I'm off to lay down in a darkened room!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Ye - in my haste I'd overlooked the fact that in those 8 weeks leading up to the longest day,the day length will be increasing all the while. Shucks. Ah well,nowt I can do about it. Enjoy your summer anyway; I know you love it. I'm off to lay down in a darkened room!

Your entitled to your own opinion, but don't forget that light is the source of life, and without the sun's light and heat energy on our earth, it would be a very different place, the earth is beautifully vibrant and varied thanks to the sun's influence and the atmosphere as well.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Extremely long drawn out spring. It started in Jan went on hold during Feb resumed in Mar but was slowed by lack of rain. Slowed again by cool weather in April. Everything seems to be rather hap hazard. Out five sycamore trees opposite the House. One is fully out one just beginning to think about it and the others saying not yet folks. The mountain ash started coming out three weeks ago but has now stopped in it's tracks almost.

Posted

Your entitled to your own opinion, but don't forget that light is the source of life.....

It's not an opinion;it's a reaction which is beyond my control! It's like the news of recent weeks where there's been much talk of drought and hosepipe bans and how dreadful it all is etc. Then in the following weather forecasts you've got presenters with long faces who are "afraid" it's going to rain. I mean come on,what's all that about!? PIT,maybe my memory is playing tricks on me (I'm getting on a bit,now) but Spring this year seems to have got off to a late start after an early,but false start back in Feb and March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Well ladies and gents lets not look for when days gona get short i would like to catch up in the garden so lets hope the warmth can make a come back soon. I know we need the rain to end the drout but this rain we getting at the moment isnt gona help much we need proper rain to moist the ground in sted of ivaperating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

WeatherOnlines outlook for May the final month of Srping

Valid from 25/04 to 22/05 2012

May starts better

Issued: Saturday 21st April 2012

Duty forecaster: Simon Keeling & Captain Bob

April showers bring forth May flowers?

Thankfully the pattern has delivered some welcome return, perhaps not exactly in the detail but at least in emphasis? Welcome rainfall too, although not enough a worthy attempt though and will go some way to redress the soil moisture deficit at least. The predominantly showery weather looks as if it'll continue for a while longer with the added influence of perhaps more prolonged rainfall as low pressure systems move close to the UK.

*25/4/12 to 08/4/12*

The next pattern alteration looks as if it'll be taking place towards the latter stages of this month, high pressure in some guise developing to the west or northwest. For a time there looks to be a settling of the pattern, mainly for western and north-western Britain, the south and southeast perhaps remaining rather more mixed for a time, with showers or longer spells of rain.

This settled weather may extend into the beginning of May when for a time it becomes warmer and drier but I can see no evidence at the moment that it'll be protracted at all and not lasting beyond the first week of the month.

*09/5/12 to 15/5/12*

Into the second week of May the pattern looks set to be taking on a more westerly orientation with low pressure tracking into the UK. So unsettled conditions can be anticipated to be generally the order of the day, rain and potentially strong winds for all areas and hence feeling rather cool at times. Brighter between the rain bands with blustery and heavy thundery showers, the strength of May sunshine quite evident in favoured sheltered spots.

*16/5/12 to 25/5/12*

The middle of May sees little evidence to suggest any settled weather or it warming at all just yet, high pressure to the west a cool north-westerly breeze and showers for all continuing to feed in through all areas, perhaps longer spells of rain as low pressure slips southeast at times?

*26/5/12 to 1/6/12*

Through the final week of May high pressure to the west looks as if it'll be drifting northeast across northern Britain, here there'll be drier, brighter and warmer weather a cooler easterly breeze further south across England and Wales with showers continuing.

As the month closes pressure begins to fall to the west and southwest, the flow then orientating more southeast to potentially southerly, the prospect then for warmer continentally sourced air to be drawn in to the UK.

http://www.weatheron...ma&DAY=20120421

Edited by Gavin D

Posted
Enjoy your summer anyway; I know you love it. I'm off to lay down in a darkened room!

Given the last five summers I'd say you've had it rather easy!

Posted

Its been a very confusing spring for nature so far. The exceptional early warmth and brilliant sunshine during the second half of March, spurred wildlife into a state of frenzy, with green shoots appearing everywhere (including the weeds), and butterflies, bees and birds into high levels of activity. However, the last 3 weeks have stunted rates of such activity and there has been a subdued atmosphere of sorts. Trees don't seem to be spurting green leaf appearance at half the rate they were in late March. The cherry blossom is out though always a sign spring has properly sprung into gear.