Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2012

Posted

We actually recorded the warmest max of the spring so far yesterday when it reached a suprisingly high 20.6C.

Certainly to record the warmest spring temperature in March has never happened here in the 32 springs I have records for, though April occasionally manages it (2007 and 2011 were the most recent).

Posted

In August the leaves turn a darker green. some dropping off already, damaged ones etc and the evenings get darker, there is a different light for certain, both directly from the Sun and in it's reflection off plants. Summer flowers begin to fade away and many go to seed, not all but a lot. Yes it is a great month but it doesn't have the light or promise that May and June have. A good May is a magical time for nature and observing it. Fills you and the land with energy, August is the late middle age of the Summer, May is a youthful period, a precious time that when it is missed is a pity.

In August the leaves turn a darker green. some dropping off already, damaged ones etc and the evenings get darker, there is a different light for certain, both directly from the Sun and in it's reflection off plants. Summer flowers begin to fade away and many go to seed, not all but a lot. Yes it is a great month but it doesn't have the light or promise that May and June have. A good May is a magical time for nature and observing it. Fills you and the land with energy, August is the late middle age of the Summer, May is a youthful period, a precious time that when it is missed is a pity.

august is better because its warmer and you can sit outside, plus crops harvest then. may is overrated its always cold in the evening and night

Posted

Any other springs where warmest max has been in March? sofar my highest max is 20.9C on 28th Mar, although not finished May yet, just wondered if its ever happened

Yeah were still yet to beat the 19.6c reached here March 28th, highest in April was 13.5c on the 1st and so far this month yesterdays high of 17.8c with no sign of any 20c+ days whatsoever still.

Nothing exceptional till last week of June, early July. Temperatuers max mean at 22*C for England. with 18-19*C max mean for scotland. This is generally maintained across most of the country for the 2nd week of July, with a max mean of 20-21*C. 3rd week of July, widespread temperatures with a max of 20*C in the south east max mean. Widespread temperatures of 20*C in the UK, minimum of 18*C in parts of the Highlands. 21*C in parts in the south as we enter last week of July.

First week of August, 20*C in the south east. With 15-18*C in the north and Scotland. For the 4 weeks to early September, temperatures in the south max mean at 20*C in the south east, 18-19*C widespread across the UK, except Scotland some parts showing 17*C

Does look like, late June- till Early September could be scorcher. I am trying to find if these max means are like some sort of average temperature and you could add another 5-10*C for a max temperature on to them.

Is this a joke, we have enough problems forecasting a week away let alone forecasting a 2 month period thats over a month away to start, really you should take much less notice of those CFS charts they are as temperamental as the british weather.

Edited by Eugene

I'm yet to be convinced that the weather will settle down in the near future to any noteworthy degree. It looks to turn slightly warmer but TBH the 0z GFS doesn't look great for settled weather.......unless you live in Lerwick. I think some slight hopecasting/clutching at straws is happening. Even the ECM run isn't that settled with rain or showers never too far away. HL blocking looks the order of the day from where I'm sat.....based on current model projections of course.

All I'm seeing ATM is a pressure rise to the N/NE followed by a quick retrogression back to Greenland/N Atlantic- hardly a pattern change and rather more a pattern adjustment. With the MJO sluggish in the phases that a lot of people don't want to see in late spring, I think it might be a tad premature to herald any significant change in the pattern that has dominated the past few weeks. The biggest change will probably be the lack of arctic sourced air so it will feel decidedly warmer.

Also I see the phrase 'patience is needed' cropping up......I seem to remember that phrase coming up in winter and look what that brought us for 80% of its entirity.

On the other hand, what a fantastic post this is, completely realistic and not just over what may happen a few months ahead.

The warmer continental air will most likely give colder daytime maxs than the current polar air over the country due to rain and no sunshine on sunday and monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Still my spring max in march, with lousy models for the rest of May, this could be a spring 01 mar-31 may when warmest temp is in march

indeed anyone talking of 25-27c back then for later this week would have been laughed at.

Yes indeed just like anybody suggesting the wettest April in 100 years would of been laughed at in March after that early summer like weather, just shows you anything is possible and nobody has a clue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Yes indeed just like anybody suggesting the wettest April in 100 years would of been laughed at in March after that early summer like weather, just shows you anything is possible and nobody has a clue.

Not true, I went for a wet April back in late feb and in march and knew that after a great March/Feb it would cool down, it often does that after 2ish months. so some people did indeed have a clue.

Even though its hot now the synoptics that produced it were more northerly blocking than continental, as ever in these patterns as we approach the summer months you can get wide swings between temperatures as the block readjusts itself, so in conclusion the weather was excellent in the short term but current synoptics aren't conducive for prolonged way above average temps for our early to mid summer prospects unless we see a fundamental pattern change.

Kind of like Gavin D during the winter, posting high pressure charts over 300 hours out.

That is incorrect, Gavin D only posts HP charts in the spring and summer when they can produce warm weather, in winter HP usually means cold so you wont see him posting HP charts over and over in the winter.

One of the most interesting springs for sometime, a variety of weather then has tended to the extreme at times.

Yes. Scotland temperature record for March broken on 3 consecutive days, wettest April on record in the UK series, then the May of two halves.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The general pattern of the last 5 years is still with us I believe, things have changed around but the pattern is still there. The model runs typify this at the moment, and I would not be surprised at all (in fact I expect it) if this summer didn't follow the last 5 in being fairly poor, especially up here in the northern parts.

I would take those temperature charts with a hefty handful of salt! Also you're not suggesting those temperatures, you're reading off what the GFS says, which at this stage looks to be -3-4c off the mark. A max of 13-14c in central and southern areas is complete nonsense IMO. Before someone suggests it, yes I do enjoy the warmth, and I'm not in denial over the cooler spell coming up, however I'm not the only one on here who knows those maximums are too low - it's a GFS habit.

I guess the BBC and UKMO are talking utter nonsense too as they are going for maxs lower than 13C/14C for sunday in London , which is by far not a cool place to be in June.