Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - 2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Plus one robbie

Wind has significantly picked up, and that shower is definitely convective. Just a shame it's not going bang, and seems to have died a bit.

The CBs are quite high based, so any rainfall is falling as virga. GLOUCESTERSHIRE and BOSCOMBE DOWN are reporting TS.

I don't think it's warm enough for some decent Thunderstorms to form, but hey... you can only wait and hope and see what the Atmosphere brings with it.

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

This was taken earlier, light rain and thats it...

storm.png

Posted

At about 2:40 here we had a very heavy shower with a brief but intense shower of hail with pea sized hail. You could hear the heavy hail just across the field to the south when not here so afterwards I thought I'd get on my bike and see if there was any more, and just 100-150m down the lane there was lots more.

post-7593-0-54594700-1334069209_thumb.jp Just where some had collected on the netting of the vegetable patch at home

post-7593-0-75058500-1334069360_thumb.jp Just 150m the road there was notably more, it had gone from the tarmac around my house.

post-7593-0-32944600-1334069416_thumb.jp just some close ups of hail

post-7593-0-09669500-1334069516_thumb.jp Some looked larger than pea sized

post-7593-0-80975200-1334069548_thumb.jp

post-7593-0-03716500-1334069587_thumb.jp Here I saw it had knocked catkins/young leaves from a tree

Might not seem too major but seems rare we get convective weather of note here so had to post a few pics :D

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

I'm surprised how today has panned out,was expecting to be house bound due to showers sometimes heavy expected but instead there has been no rain at all since 8 o'clock this morning and have enjoyed a sunny day in the garden,would be nice to get something thundery but I can't see it happening,maybe tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Had two brief, very local showers today. Nothing to crow home about.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Cell moving across london to my sw, shame it lost its spark so quickly

post-15445-0-76076800-1334070438_thumb.j

post-15445-0-10064100-1334070472_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Some impressive Cb around today, expecting some hail and downpours around here shortly.

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

So VERY strong showers around here today.

had some very odd hail as well. Balls the size of marbles but they were fluffy balls. Almost like snow.

Very odd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

with a west midlands IMBYism, stuck in the middle of no-mans land here, dry since mid morning.....but things look much better for the north west midlands tomorrow as steering winds are much more favourable (turn to north west which should enhance the cheshire gap effect, so IMHO, areas to the south of Brum should have a relatively dry day, areas to the north, more shower/storm potential .....(post copied across from the midlands thread :) )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Had one shower with moderate rain today that's it. Some lovely sunshine though in a fresh breeze.

To be honest, looking at the models and MetO forecast etc, the NE/E England seem have a better chance of thundery showers tomorrow and Thursday compared to my area (in my opinion). Obviously I may be wrong and it often goes down to nowcasting.

It would be good to see a potent thundery shower, but I'm not holding my hopes up too much yet. Today has been a similar scenario to what I had all of last year so far, with the showers developing better after they've passed me and of course it has been very hit and miss for a lot of others.

Where I live, we seem to do best for storms when fronts slowly move in or stall against a hot southerly/south-easterly airstream. May 9th 2008 was a great example I believe. Most time I manage to get a thunderstorm - they are big!

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted

Some very string echos out to the west of here.

Could be in for more hail.. Woop woop. No thunder so far though.

-G

Posted

So VERY strong showers around here today.

had some very odd hail as well. Balls the size of marbles but they were fluffy balls. Almost like snow.

Very odd.

Soft hail, very regular occurence on showery days at this time of year when the upper air is cold enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

with a west midlands IMBYism, stuck in the middle of no-mans land here, dry since mid morning.....but things look much better for the north west midlands tomorrow as steering winds are much more favourable (turn to north west which should enhance the cheshire gap effect, so IMHO, areas to the south of Brum should have a relatively dry day, areas to the north, more shower/storm potential .....(post copied across from the midlands thread :) )

Not too sure about that AJ. The Irish Sea will have little effect on the generating of showers tomorrow as the temperature differential (sea temps and upper air temps) is not large enough (sea temps near their coldest right now). Places within 30 miles of the N/W coast might not see anything tomorrow (as per GFS afternoon precip charts which show a large dry sector around NW England). Yourself and other locations may do well however as you're far enough inland for shower development to initiate in the unstable flow.

Posted

Dark towards Buxton way again, some precip (hail?) showing up on the webcam. A nice anvil stretching 1/4 way across the south-southwest here further north looking in that direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

THUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice cell over central London right now, little thunder (very quite) and one flash..... ahha!!

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted

Not a drop here all day as expected, showers split to the South and North of Leigh On Sea but the views South and North are very nice with us bathed in Sunshine in the Middle.

Posted

Soft hail, very regular occurence on showery days at this time of year when the upper air is cold enough.

Yeah I figured as much. In all the years following storms, watching them, being under them. I had not see it like that.

Very cool.

On another note, I can see a very well defined anvil to my east. Oxford...? Maybe in the firing line.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Just drove home in a hail shower but it appears to have missed my house. Fantastic CB going on looking over towards London way.

Posted

A couple of flashes of lightning and thunder here, though with only light rain.

Edited by Ben_Cambs