Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Also frontal snowfall can occur with air thickness values around 530-534.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Probably got confused with 1995 come to think of it. A quick Google brought up 'The History of British winters' from Net Weather.

1993-96 weren't so bad though, with falls of up to 40cm in Leeds (January 25th 1995 I remember 1995 very well, it was a good year for snow, the coldest temperature since records began recorded in Braemar, Scotland) In 1993 there was a white Christmas in South Wales (yippee!) and Wessex. Before that, there was some snow for Scotland and Wales (6 inches 20th-24th December) and 4-8 inches of snow in late November for the Eastern spine of the UK. The IOW (Isle of Wight) to Lincolnshire saw 6 inches in early January. Mid February (1994) saw 4 inches in Northern England. Late February had 1ft of snow in Eastern Scotland. 1994-95 saw many falls of up to 40cm throughout the UK. I remember walking home from school in early march 1995 with a blizzard commensing, 15cm in total, we were off school for a week! As I said above, Leeds saw 40cm of snow in 3 hours in late January 1995! Late March also saw snow for the Northern half of England, 35cm widely here. 1995-96 saw snow on Christmas Eve/ Day in Scotland and the North East, with 35cm falling in the Shetlands. The end of January (South East) and early February (North West: Lancashire 13cm, 2 foot drifts) and also South West Scotland seeing some aswell. Mid February saw some more in the South, before some more to end the season in mid March (East).

http://www.netweathe...r-history;sess=

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I have a feeling in my bones that i am going to see some of the white stuff during the next 24 hours, its been too long.

Posted

Heavy hail falling here, looks nothing on the radar unless I zoom in.

Large area of ppn heading this way across the Irish Sea, should be interesting in an hour or so.

Temp 3.2c.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

So the SW gets a bit of snow but we do not.. what the frick? This winter is certainly annoying.. can't wait for those easterly winds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Probably got confused with 1995 come to think of it. A quick Google brought up 'The History of British winters' from Net Weather.

1993-96 weren't so bad though, with falls of up to 40cm in Leeds (January 25th 1995 I remember 1995 very well, it was a good year for snow, the coldest temperature since records began recorded in Braemar, Scotland) In 1993 there was a white Christmas in South Wales (yippee!) and Wessex. Before that, there was some snow for Scotland and Wales (6 inches 20th-24th December) and 4-8 inches of snow in late November for the Eastern spine of the UK. The IOW (Isle of Wight) to Lincolnshire saw 6 inches in early January. Mid February (1994) saw 4 inches in Northern England. Late February had 1ft of snow in Eastern Scotland. 1994-95 saw many falls of up to 40cm throughout the UK. I remember walking home from school in early march 1995 with a blizzard commensing, 15cm in total, we were off school for a week! As I said above, Leeds saw 40cm of snow in 3 hours in late January 1995! Late March also saw snow for the Northern half of England, 35cm widely here. 1995-96 saw snow on Christmas Eve/ Day in Scotland and the North East, with 35cm falling in the Shetlands. The end of January (South East) and early February (North West: Lancashire 13cm, 2 foot drifts) and also South West Scotland seeing some aswell. Mid February saw some more in the South, before some more to end the season in mid March (East).

http://www.netweathe...r-history;sess=

I've mentioned this.. and I remember it well.

Posted

Is it a large area Consett?

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Is it a large area Consett?

It must be a huge town, it is signposted from everywhere in the North-east lol

Consett, Leadgate, Blackhill, Bridgehill and Shotley must cover 10 square km?

Edited by recklessabandon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

nah small town on a mountain lol.no snow here although we had a bit wet stuff earlier.

How do you begin to describe Consett to someone from outside the area......?

Edited by recklessabandon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Looks like a nice band of snow on for a direct hit here in half hour or so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Nothing at all here in Newcastle, not even a scrap of ice :nea:

Posted

isolated snow showers skirting tantalisingly to the north of were I am, much more organised band crossing north yorkshire moors.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

BBC are certainly ramping up the chances of frontal snow for the NW on Sunday although with reservations of how far across the country it would get.

Could be some interesting times ahead especially if that massive cold pool from Eastern Europe decides to come over here looking for work.

Posted

Just driven from Todmorden back to Bacup, quite thick snow on the road over the top at about 1400 ft. On the journey there at 18.30 I met a load of cars sliding backwards down the hill where the initial covering had turned to sheet ice, thankyou Suzuki for my 4wd. Looking at the radar there is another clump heading in our direction so I might wake to a nice covering in the morning.

Posted

There appeared to be lightning to the south of Great Asby on the way home tonight - I could make out anvil clouds (or what looked like anvil clouds anyway) silhouetted against the sky at around 8pm, and there was numerous very bright flashes in the far distance. It wouldn't be anything like railway lines, as the only electrified one in the area is not in that direction.

Also, at around 4pm, there was an almighty bang which sounded like it almost broke the glass in my windows. I was in Appleby but it was also reported in Great Asby, 5 miles away. I wonder what that was?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Just driven from Todmorden back to Bacup, quite thick snow on the road over the top at about 1400 ft. On the journey there at 18.30 I met a load of cars sliding backwards down the hill where the initial covering had turned to sheet ice, thankyou Suzuki for my 4wd. Looking at the radar there is another clump heading in our direction so I might wake to a nice covering in the morning.

If you'd managed to escape to Todmorden i can't imagine why you'd want to try and get back to Bacup. :acute: