Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Looks like, light showers building up in the North Sea,possible get something out of them.

Meh... I'd rather have clear skies and a proper frost than 1°C and 9 adn a half flakes of dandruff.

Posted

Meh... I'd rather have clear skies and a proper frost than 1°C and 9 adn a half flakes of dandruff.

Are you always so happy?? Always cheers me up this thread does!!

Posted

the saga continues over on the MOD thread lol.i'll concentrate with whats showing in the close and near time.

Edited by peterf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

BBC LOCAL

Odd Wintry Shower on Thursday in the east

ITV LOCAL

Scattered Snow showers Wednesday Night/Thursday leading a good dusting at least

Hope ITV right out on this...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Well still no frost and still no snow.

A cloudy and occasionally drizzly easterly flow.

Very exciting I must say.

Let;s hope the second bite of the cherry that we MIGHT POTENTIALLY be afforded be more accomodating.

Posted

BBC LOCAL

Odd Wintry Shower on Thursday in the east

ITV LOCAL

Scattered Snow showers Wednesday Night/Thursday leading a good dusting at least

Hope ITV right out on this...

I can barely contain my excitement.

Edited by NickR

Posted

I can barely contain my excitement.

Lol mate Id take a dusting!

Posted

2.7c / -5.1c here very weird thought meant to be going sub zero?

Posted

BBC NATIONAL - Now mention trough coming into eastern area thursday morning providing few cm for eastern areas all the way down east coast and pushing inland too

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

BBC NATIONAL - Now mention trough coming into eastern area thursday morning providing few cm for eastern areas all the way down east coast and pushing inland too

Can't see it happening myself. Easterlies usually get downgraded nearer the time and this has been no exception. I'm just hoping for some frontal snow at the weekend.

Posted

2.7c / -5.1c here very weird thought meant to be going sub zero?

Quick search on google came up with this:

* Frost forms on a solid surface when the surface temperature is below freezing and at or below the dew point of the air. The dew point depends on how much water vapor is in the air; the more water vapor there is, the higher the dew point. The higher the relative humidity, the closer the dew point is to the air temperature.

Anyway,its cold and very dry,lol!

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

You can feel the drier air- cuts right into you. Humidity yesterday was in the 90's for the most part while today the dewpoint depression increased tenfold- and we are now at 72% humidity- and have been in the 70's for much of the day.

I've came to the conclusion, that unless we have an upper trough/cold surge nearby, or a real tighten of the isobars, polar continental air is useless for north-eastern england and eastern scotland- especially when the best chance is from frontal snow.

Arctic continental ALL the way-

archivesnh-2010-11-27-0-0.png

Can anyone remember this thundersnow event from last winter? Set in at around 9pm, and after 2 hours of extremely heavy, convective snow accompanied by some thunder- I was left with 21cm of lying snow.. 15cm falling in 2 and a half hours.

There were a couple more thundersnow events between Nov 24-Dec 3 to my recollection- as well as day after day of convective snow shrs and snow from troughs. Very unstable airflow and the greatest 10 day period I will ever live through imo.

Roll on Greenland blocking and ridging, and bring on the initial retrogression!

Posted

You can feel the drier air- cuts right into you. Humidity yesterday was in the 90's for the most part while today the dewpoint depression increased tenfold- and we are now at 72% humidity- and have been in the 70's for much of the day.

I've came to the conclusion, that unless we have an upper trough/cold surge nearby, or a real tighten of the isobars, polar continental air is useless for north-eastern england and eastern scotland- especially when the best chance is from frontal snow.

Arctic continental ALL the way-

archivesnh-2010-11-27-0-0.png

Can anyone remember this thundersnow event from last winter? Set in at around 9pm, and after 2 hours of extremely heavy, convective snow accompanied by some thunder- I was left with 21cm of lying snow.. 15cm falling in 2 and a half hours.

There were a couple more thundersnow events between Nov 24-Dec 3 to my recollection- as well as day after day of convective snow shrs and snow from troughs. Very unstable airflow and the greatest 10 day period I will ever live through imo.

Roll on Greenland blocking and ridging, and bring on the initial retrogression!

Couldn't agree more. I can't stand Easterlies for exactly the reasons we're seeing now, Siberian highs are no good for here. We need Scandi HIghs or the Greenie!

Posted

Couldn't agree more. I can't stand Easterlies for exactly the reasons we're seeing now, Siberian highs are no good for here. We need Scandi HIghs or the Greenie!

Greenland block with high blocking heights- ridging east into svalbard or iceland- then we can see a weak jet stall out to the south-west, and allow the floodgates from the north and north-east open; unstable flow with lots of moisture, convection and resultant snowfall. If you are going to depend on upper troughs/cold pools to work in like some do under these easterly regimes brought by the scandi/russian block- then it will be hit and miss and you will very often be unhappy.

I just absolutely adore the synoptics of them 10 days- and to a lesser extent the 16-25 Dec synoptic- I think I failed to get past 0c for god knows how long!

Bliss.

Anyway, it's 2.9c with v dry air in command here- typical under the sea breeze and any precipitation being persistant stratiform. Maybe the odd flurry/shower on Thurs/Fri but the block eventually sinks to allow for a transient milder spell- mainly under high pressure- before retrogression and a shift in the pattern- allowing heights to build to our north and north-west, rather than the retrogressive russian block.

Posted

Hello all, first post this "winter", as there hasn't really been much to complain talk about !

What a rubbish winter unless you're abnormal and like mushy winter weather.

Well, this current episode is turning into a huge damp squib so far. I know that things look better for the Southerners as is normally the case in a direct Eastery, but I was actually anticipating at least a frost by now. I keep score, and so far since 1st October last year, I have only had to scrape my windscreen 6 times before work ! That is pathetic.

Things don't particularly look any better tonight. Current temp at 2m in my garden is 2.8, with a humidity of 69%. This equates to a dewpoint of -3.4.

If you believed the hype models over the weekend, you would be forgiven for thinking my thermo should currently be showing about -4 with snow flurries !

I'm kind of playing devils advocate here and fully understand the way the models work, I'm just a bit p&%$£"d off about the whole winter so far. I know I'm not the only one and I know that it is guaranteed that the Easterly will turn into a Southerly on Sunday, after a near-miss "white-out" frontal event, only to return with a vengeance by Tuesday to create Armaggedon and record low temps, followed shortly afterwards by a bone-chilling Northerly with embedded troughs likely and major snowfall !! Only if you believe the models hype of course.

Seriously though, are we all getting soft ?

Beeb weather forecasters constantly go on about "severe cold", "bitter weather" etc, yet even this "cold" spell has really been nothing out of the ordinary, it's just that the rest of winter has been abnormal, so to some people, for some reason, this feel extreme.

Oh well, looking forward to the fun and games on Sunday,

Ciao,

Karl

Posted

Anyway, it's 2.9c with v dry air in command here- typical under the sea breeze and any precipitation being persistant stratiform. Maybe the odd flurry/shower on Thurs/Fri but the block eventually sinks to allow for a transient milder spell- mainly under high pressure- before retrogression and a shift in the pattern- allowing heights to build to our north and north-west, rather than the retrogressive russian block.

And can you guess which model predicted this set up first IF? I give you a clue, its starts with the letter U!

Although if you are reading the model thread, you would think its a cannon fodder model and you think the GFS is the leading model...

I did warn that this easterly will be a dry one because of the lack stability as thicknesses are too high and now we got the problem where more favourable thicknesses do form, the easterly does not form as high pressure ridges over us meaning any showers that do form will stay away from the coasts, although you can't rule out the odd one.

Oh and has anyone noticed how the cold air is not heading as far westwards as first thought! I would of taken a 24 hour Northerly toppler over this easterly and there would be more snowfall in Northern Scotland from a 6 hour toppler than this easterly will produce!

Edit: I should add, I do like easterlies but you need lower thicknesses and a good flow from the Sea to benifit otherwise the cold uppers are just simply a waste like this easterly is looking like prooven to be.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

bundle of fun reading posts in here tonight zzzzz night

Posted

I suppose this easterly has been a damp squib but I would take it anyday rather than the mush we suffered in December,at least if we are lucky(which of course we weren't) in an easterly it can produce the goods,so on to furter trauma's over the next few days.

Posted

The 18z NAE at least offers us the possibility of some showers on thursday,so a straw to

clutch at amongst all the doom and gloom!

btw. the use of the word "thicknesses" is hearby banned :p

Posted

Apparently we were going down to -1°C in urban centres here in the NE and well below that in less urban parts.

In "urban" Durham it is now 2.2°C, after a low since midnight of 2.1°C. Awful.

Posted

2.6c, dew point -2.3c.

We have a surge of higher humidity levels at 850hpa coming through tonight, mainly affecting SE'ern areas- but I think higher lapse rates and lower thicknesses may be brought also- and despite a slack hp-flow, some flurries may form o/night. Nothing special, but the first sustained period of snow falling is possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Cloudy again, 2C, still nothing On the radar. This has possibly been the biggest let down since early Feb 2001, although even then I had 20cm where I was in Longhorsely.

Posted

Id be happy to wake upto a dusting tomorrow please just to see the ground white would be nice! :)