Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Well despite which part of the UK got more snow this weekend is looking good SO FAR that is for us in the NE. Going by the PPN forecast I would say that anywhere south of maybe Blyth (I may be looking at that wrong) could see this as snow. I suppose what I am saying is that not all is lost and we still have a chance to see some significant snowfall from this... on the other hand it could go tits up and we end up with rain!

Blyth in the north? or in Yorkshire?

I've often joked about living in the snowiest town in England but is it really Consett? What about the likes of Buxton and Congleton?

You're quite right - Buxton would probably take it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Draw a line from Byth in the north then south west over to Morpeth and then a line south to the midlands - the east of that line snow/sleet and west = rain. What I would say though is that will change before the event but for now I am straw clutching!!!

Also it;s just what the PPN forecast is showing (it's not totally accurate)...

Edited by Paul-Michael

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Sheffield maybe

I live just outside of Sheffield on the border and i would agree with that most years we do get alot of snow last winter in november we had 2ft of Snow in one fall!.

You're quite right - Buxton would probably take it.

Buxton seems to have it's own micro-climate everytime i have been there it could be snowing there yet places a few miles away it could be bone dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Leeds I think is snowier than Durham or Sheffield but there is very little in it. Aberdeen being the UK's snowiest by some distance.

Consett and Buxton probably are a close run thing, but I suspect statistically Buxton will be snowiest (cover at 9am) because it will capture far more ppn in general due to Consett being in more of a rain shadow (ie throw enough muck some will stick). In terms of total snowfall over a given season, Consett will probably beat Buxton....Consett often has snow cover when even the roads and villages at similar altitude a mile away don't.

This weekend is a crazy one, at this moment, I would rather see us outside of the progged area for heaviest and long lasting snow, why? because it WILL change! I recall an event back in the early 90s (TWS probably can date it) where although the angle of attack differed, in many ways the setup was similar with what became an occlusion that was forecast to slowly cross the UK into colder air, in the end, came to a halt over the north pennines, with snow depths of several feet resulting over the Durham moors, and only a few inches a matter of 10 miles east. It took a week for that system to push through in the end, and the forecast 24 hours prior was for it to push through in 24-48 hours.....

Edited by recklessabandon

Posted

seems to be bit of action brewing in the north sea http://www.metoffice...ather/uk/radar/ will it make it to land?

No. We'll just associated cloud and hence not get as cold temps.

Edited by NickR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

c'mon guys, at least you usually get several rounds of snow each winter whereas further south we are lucky to get one or two. The north has more than its fair share of the white stuff in an average winter. Don't begrudge us midlanders/southerners some of the white stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Looks like there are some light flurries out to sea - I doubt they'll affect us but you never know. Saturday is touch and go; anywhere east of a line from Scarborough to Southampton should get a few inches from this, but ittourers marginal for places to the north or west of this line. It's possible we'll get 5-10cm, though it'll be a case of looking out the window during Saturday I suspect. The Pennines should pose much of a problem for the NE as the front is actually expected to intensify as it pushes SE, and the temperature gradient increases.

By the way, I'm sure this discussion about the snowiest place in England comes up every other week, and I think it was shown that Durham was the snowiest city in England, with Newcastle, Leeds and possibly Sheffield not very far behind. Obviously that isn't taking into account the rest of the UK as Aberdeen is certainly the snowiest city there.

c'mon guys, at least you usually get several rounds of snow each winter whereas further south we are lucky to get one or two. The north has more than its fair share of the white stuff in an average winter. Don't begrudge us midlanders/southerners some of the white stuff.

I don't begrudge you at all. Sure I'd love some snow, but I'd prefer hot, humid thundery weather if I had the choice! :p

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, it's not dissimilar to what I expected- a fair number of snow showers (albeit mostly light-moderate ones) getting going over the North Sea as the colder airmass comes over and generates more instability, but the sinking high means that the easterly flow may peter out before they reach us. Where I did go wrong is that I didn't expect the showers to be preceded by a wall of stratocumulus which is giving Cleadon another dry cloudy day, after some unexpected sunny intervals yesterday- presumably the airmass currently over eastern England is still relatively stable.

Posted

severe weather warnings now for the north east on saturday and sunday from the met office, this could be the weekend were our snow drought comes to an end ( hopefully )

Posted

Eh?

I only just managed to get onto the warnings area of the Meto site, must be innundated lol. When I did, I couldn't open any of the maps but the text read "There are no warnings for North East England".

What was the warning? Is there really one?

Cheers,

Karl

Posted
Yes, it's not dissimilar to what I expected- a fair number of snow showers (albeit mostly light-moderate ones) getting going over the North Sea as the colder airmass comes over and generates more instability, but the sinking high means that the easterly flow may peter out before they reach us. Where I did go wrong is that I didn't expect the showers to be preceded by a wall of stratocumulus which is giving Cleadon another dry cloudy day, after some unexpected sunny intervals yesterday- presumably the airmass currently over eastern England is still relatively stable.

Those showers don't look like they're moving anywhere!

What are your thoughts re. Sat TWS? From what I can see the chances of it stalling over us are remote, but we should get a few cms as it passes over us.

Posted

Eh?

I only just managed to get onto the warnings area of the Meto site, must be innundated lol. When I did, I couldn't open any of the maps but the text read "There are no warnings for North East England".

What was the warning? Is there really one?

Cheers,

Karl

they had us covered in snow sat/sun.then they removed them and the site has now crashed lol.

is it April fools day down there?

Posted

Those showers in the North Sea are building quite nicely now - if they come onshore there could be a couple of cm from them. They seem fairly stationary, but they are expanding as they grow bigger so I would completely rule out some flurries this evening yet.

Posted

but they are expanding as they grow bigger so I would completely rule out some flurries this evening yet.

might need a N'T in there ALZA.

Posted

but they are expanding as they grow bigger so I would completely rule out some flurries this evening yet.

might need a N'T in there ALZA.

Yeah, I typed wouldn and the iPad corrected it as would. :)

Posted

The cloud is really breaking up now all of a sudden, I wonder if this is due to the more convective nature of the flow now.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

The Met Office site has gone a bit haywire I think, they released the warnings on twitter with a link but the link isnt working, in the email I got it said we are yellow for snow on Sat and Sun. I guess only time will tell how we do out of it though

Posted

Omg don't know if anyones mentioned this yet but Accuweather are forecasting 81mm of Snow for here on Saturday, which equates to 81cm of lying snow? They either need to recalculate or we're going to be buried :p haha. Probably a one off :winky:

The North Sea looks active today!

Edited by Andy163

Posted

Omg don't know if anyones mentioned this yet but Accuweather are forecasting 81mm of Snow for here on Saturday, which equates to 81cm of lying snow?

Computer says... bollx. :rofl:

Edited by NickR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Wait till the DM hear about the accuweather forecast, imagine the headlines.... :winky: