Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread - II

Posted

Right here is the new thread for the SE and London region. Will the easterly deliver the famed Thames Streamer, will the breakdown provide any snow for us...IF there is a breakdown to be had at all.

All these questions....probably won't be answered in this thread!!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Well a severe flurry of snow here, glad I'm not driving to work in the morning.

Doesn't seem any suggesttion for a Thames Snow Streamer to set-up looking at the precip charts this week, though these can develop at short-notice if the conditions are right - e.g. an ENE wind, moisture and sufficiently cold uppers - if it does occur it would probably be end of this week, as the air looks like drying out by mid-week.

Posted

Doesn't seem any suggesttion for a Thames Snow Streamer to set-up looking at the precip charts this week, though these can develop at short-notice if the conditions are right -

To be fair nick the models are utter tosh at forecasting them, even the high resolution models barely pick up streamers!

Anyway the NMM looks interesting and develops more showers inland overnight as the coldest of the first pluse of cold air comes in from the North Sea. The light stuff we have now probably is a good hint of what is to come in the 2nd half of the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Well if you blinked you missed any thing here,but heres hoping,who knows i could wake up with a fair covering in the morning,very wishful thinking :rolleyes:

Posted

extremely light few flakes in wind here, missed us by a whisker..... cold out there though..... can see cloud towards canterbury has a slight orange tinge..... here a hoping for at least some this week.....we have done very well from streamers in the past here.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Just think, we could all wake up to find that the streamer fairy visited in the night - weirder things have happened

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

To be fair nick the models are utter tosh at forecasting them, even the high resolution models barely pick up streamers!

Anyway the NMM looks interesting and develops more showers inland overnight as the coldest of the first pluse of cold air comes in from the North Sea. The light stuff we have now probably is a good hint of what is to come in the 2nd half of the night.

Thanks Kold, I was under the impression (from the models and general current airflow) that once this annoyingly light, fluffy stuff passes it'll turn generally dry, you think we're likely to see more developing through the night? Sleepless night here I come then.

It goes to show just how desperate we are for snow, everyones running outside to see a couple of flakes every 10 seconds haha!

Edit: That light fluffy stuff literally will be a few flakes every 10 second, it couldn't be anymore lighter, it's so light the lower Res radars aren't picking it up

Edited by Daniel AKA WMD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes of any sort

hello all,

first post! just thought i would do a sussex/kent border update:

temp 0.1C

dew point -3C

clear, nothing as of yet, hope something makes its way through.

jon

Posted

Nothing here, AmershamMike. Not a snow grain. Yes, Dec 2010 was great here - although my parents got stuck despite my warnings!

Guest Kent-Weather

Wind vectors at 700hPa now coming more from the North East. New blob off of the E Kent coast to focus on. Heading roughly towards Deal area.

Lol Daniel. Sleepless night for a few flurries. Your going hardcore! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold.. snow ..freezing fog..ice ..very hot

nothing of any significance here looks like drizzle ...went out in a black coat to see if anything landed on it but to no avail ..mmmmm like your pic marie

Posted

Fascinating to see that the fun and games has started in the SE already! Hopefully by the time I get up tomorrow, I'll be tuning into BBC Breakfast and watching the entire area grounding to a halt with 3cm. Wishful thinking but I do believe that you guys will enjoy some more snow this week. If only there could be a Forth-Clyde Streamer......

Posted

Given how quiet and still it is now I'm starting to think I must have imagined the few minutes of tiny snow flakes about half an hour ago. Ah well, if I did then at least my imagination is showing me things I like.

Posted

Yes, I agree the models tend not to pick up until 12hrs out sometimes, UKMO meso has been good at picking them up in their T+36 range, though don't have access to them anymore.

Keeping my eye on Thursday and Friday, as winds are suggested to be ENE with sub -10C T850s by then and we could see more moisture dragged in to help build the snow clouds with help of lift along the coastline of the Thames Estuary to develop a streamer inland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Typical, my weather station has chosen tonight to give up transmission, it's like I've lost a friend :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Ha ha yes i am desperate to see a few flakes of snow,ive been waiting for it seems like months for this,im not proud. :D