Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Cold Spell Part 2

Zenarcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
post-9298-0-00085400-1329594786_thumb.jp

Posted

been a wee lull here in last hour, but another snow shower blowing through now. a wee covering here. hoping/expectign showers to pep up later and through the night. maybe the morning too. snow blowing in a fairly strong wind now. good stuff!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hmm, convection died down a bit around 7pm but has remained steady or is maybe even getting a bit stronger again now. Bit of a balancing act between the lack of sunlight, colder uppers and increase in pressure along with a change in the flow direction going on. Sunset combined with a more northerly flow perhaps acted to decrease convection but the colder uppers pushing in and stabilisation of those two factors will perhaps give another decent burst of convection before pressure rises and kills it off from the west.

12021900_1812.gif

12021900_1812.gif

Posted

post-9298-0-00085400-1329594786_thumb.jp

Great to see that just about everyone here has seen snowfall today - it's always nice to see the white stuff!

If you wish to have to do a forecast for Spring then I created a thread for it - http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72635-the-seasonal-forecast-thread/

My plan is to have members continuing to do more Seasonal forecast beyond winter so that by next year we'll be in good stead to have better forecasts and to know who's got an appetite for success.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Complete damp squib here today. one heavy burst of graupel and now i can see the stars in the sky! another No snow. Very poor winter here.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
Complete damp squib here today. one heavy burst of graupel and now i can see the stars in the sky! another No snow. Very poor winter here.
damp squib most places!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Edodfc did you see it? Hope so in case that's our lot!

OTR believe it or not I did not as was in Noah's and only found out when the wife said was snowing earlier.... Whit?????? Although on way to Dundee at 5pm had genuine blizzard conditions and there is a dusting here...not been outside since 7 tho and in a dinner dance so could be a foot out there for all I know although not a according to radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

so could be a foot out there for all I know although not a according to radar

A foot? Are you sniffing tequila? Lol yes was blizzardy around tea time again here too though nothing settled apart from a few specks I can see on top of the car. Dry and quiet now. Nice just to see white flecks in the air though wasn't it......what a difference a year makes...

Posted

I must admit, not high on my list of lamppost excitement, or snaw enjoyment, but I did take a step back, looked at the posts about how bad this winter has been for snaw etc, and look what most of Europe have been getting and so on. If the weather that has affected Europe had hit here, God only knows what would have happened. I like the rest of us enjoy the weather, and I enjoy the cold and snaw type, but believe we dodged a bullet with the Europe weather. Let's just be thankful of the last 3 or so winters, and write this one off as a bad year.

Posted

Anyone see Alex Deakins blooper on the forecast earlier? Thought I heard him say that word but have now been confirmed as it's all over facebook! Youtube it if you are interested as I can't repeat it :rofl:

Posted

Snow cover safe for the night, so it might be useable tomorrow, though I suspect sledging will be very much first come first serve. This was undoubtedly the biggest snowfall of the winter(so far I guess being an optimistic disclaimer) here yet the snowfall lasted well under an hour and left only a slight covering.Showers will continue through the night for the north and in particular the northeast, though will die back towards the coasts by morning. I'm glad the northeast overall got a good share because ultimately that's been the one region which has fared particularly poorly, missing out on pretty much all the December snow and getting nothing much out of the early February sort of breakdown type snowfall. It's turned an incredibly poor winter into an almost passable one, which was more than I realistically expected at the start of the day. However, if you're really a masochist look eastwards on the radar to see what could've been if everything had stalled 100 miles further west.

Next week could well eat into Scotland's heat quota for the year, getting up to the dizzy heights of the mid-teens.

Posted

Snow cover safe for the night, so it might be useable tomorrow, though I suspect sledging will be very much first come first serve. This was undoubtedly the biggest snowfall of the winter(so far I guess being an optimistic disclaimer) here yet the snowfall lasted well under an hour and left only a slight covering.Showers will continue through the night for the north and in particular the northeast, though will die back towards the coasts by morning. I'm glad the northeast overall got a good share because ultimately that's been the one region which has fared particularly poorly, missing out on pretty much all the December snow and getting nothing much out of the early February sort of breakdown type snowfall. It's turned an incredibly poor winter into an almost passable one, which was more than I realistically expected at the start of the day. However, if you're really a masochist look eastwards on the radar to see what could've been if everything had stalled 100 miles further west.

Next week could well eat into Scotland's heat quota for the year, getting up to the dizzy heights of the mid-teens.

Good to see that you've got lying snow - how much exactly?

Posted

Good to see that you've got lying snow - how much exactly?

No more than a cm, probably a bit less, but a complete covering all the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Anyone see Alex Deakins blooper on the forecast earlier? Thought I heard him say that word but have now been confirmed as it's all over facebook! Youtube it if you are interested as I can't repeat it :rofl:

Bucket Loads of What !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl::fool::rofl::fool:

Quote...

Alex Deakin@alexdeakin I think the less said the better about that last broadcast #P45

Posted

OTR believe it or not I did not as was in Noah's and only found out when the wife said was snowing earlier.... Whit?????? Although on way to Dundee at 5pm had genuine blizzard conditions and there is a dusting here...not been outside since 7 tho and in a dinner dance so could be a foot out there for all I know although not a according to radar

Nah just bottles of miller....as wife pregnant never like getting too drunk whilst she stone cold sober....I'm not too despondent as last 2 years amazing and the buzz I got seeing the snow as hit Dundee I realised is because it is not a normal occurrence....if we had snow every winter of substantial accumulation there would be no buzz or anticipation....let's face it basic human instinct applies the thrill is in the chase :)

Any YouTube links ambassador?

Quote...

Alex Deakin@alexdeakin I think the less said the better about that last broadcast #P45

Posted

Quote...

Someone asked him where abouts the fall would be and he replied 'remember to bring a clear umbrella' :rofl:

Posted

Nah just bottles of miller....as wife pregnant never like getting too drunk whilst she stone cold sober....I'm not too despondent as last 2 years amazing and the buzz I got seeing the snow as hit Dundee I realised is because it is not a normal occurrence....if we had snow every winter of substantial accumulation there would be no buzz or anticipation....let's face it basic human instinct applies the thrill is in the chase :)

Will PM you the link to the Alex Deakin thing :)

damp squib most places!

It's only a damp squib if you were expecting good things. I have been relying on the met office this winter for my forecasts. They never stated this would be an event for central Scotland. I think they have done ok this winter, possibly due to the lack of easterly flow where their convection forecasts struggle a bit...

Posted

Morning all. Kids have me up bright and early. Thankfully enough snow for a bit of sledging. Still some showers in vicinity but think that will be that. Actually a poor northerly by usual standards but for this winter it is Only our second proper fall so in that context it is quite good out today! Only looks to be a few cm's but that will do!

Posted

Will PM you the link to the Alex Deakin thing :)

Cheers Ross will get it later tonight when back home and on PC :)

Beautiful crisp clear morning here in Dundee but unfortunately no snow for sledging So the winter wait continues and shortly to become a spring wait......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

. MO totally caught out with eastern Scotland snow: nary a warning for ice or snow:

http://www.metoffice...ather/warnings/

To be fair to the MetO, we drove north from Edinburgh to Aberdeen between 10.30am and 2.30pm, and south between 5.30pm and 9pm, and there was Nae Snaw in either direction, either falling or lying. In fact some particularly good star-gazing was possible because the skies were so clear at the services somewhere just south of Perth-ish.

Some flurries of big wet flakes while we were there (c.10 miles NW of Aberdeen), but nothing settled except on cars. I got a funny look as I leapt to wipe the snow off the car windows with my bare hands, but it was my only chance of feeling snow this winter, so...!

So from my angle, the whole main road in Eastern Scotland was bone-dry for pretty well the entire day. That's what the MetO said, and they were right... no snow, not even any ice. The car's temp gauge never went below +1.5C and was mostly 2-3C.

Posted

We probably had about an inch in total but the worst snow of he winter and nice to see. Temp dropped to -1.5C overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Overnight lows of -2.2c/-11.4c. Temp now up to 0.3c/-9.6c. As far as snowflakes were concerned, zero, nada, zilch!!