Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Cold Spell Part 2

Zenarcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

12.9c/8.2c WSW. dull, dreich, wet. I'm all for cheering on Spring now, but if this is what we get I'll be suicidal! Buying a summerhouse this year which is more for shelter than sun. We only managed to use the gazebo one evening last year because it was just too cold. Not as simple as that tho' as we will have to put in a rather long field drain/ soak-away type thing, as water tends to get trapped and accumulates in that area of the garden. No doubt there will be plenty of that!

Posted

Skifreak - yes, 2006 was an even more-striking example of lack of snow around February time and then a lot of ski-ing days in April. There's hope yet, although as a natural pessimist (I say realist) I know that things might well fail to improve.

Haven't looked at the Glencoe website but the west (at altitude) has done better than the east this year and I think there should be a fair few weeks of ski-ing left yet in the upper bowl there.

No doubt that the 'traditional' Scottish pattern of increasing cold after new year seems to have fallen away in the last few years quite spectacularly.

Posted

Another mainly dry and very mild day. Temp up to 14.4C here so second mildest of the winter. The east-west split continues!

Edited by howham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Warm & quite windy, definitely not pish or gash, but cloudbase obscuring the hills. Struggling to see even distant snow patches now, ended up with only my 2 shirts on, ie coat not needed out of the wind. A few mosquitoes put in a rather brief appearance at one point :blink: - I would rather not have to start wearing insect repellant in February thanx! :wacko:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Tell you what.

After a disaster with my extension builder, I finally have a new company started and its all going really well.

If we can all agree when we want it to snow, I'll prearrange to have the roof surfacing done at that time.

Worth a shot?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Skifreak - yes, 2006 was an even more-striking example of lack of snow around February time and then a lot of ski-ing days in April. There's hope yet, although as a natural pessimist (I say realist) I know that things might well fail to improve.

Haven't looked at the Glencoe website but the west (at altitude) has done better than the east this year and I think there should be a fair few weeks of ski-ing left yet in the upper bowl there.

No doubt that the 'traditional' Scottish pattern of increasing cold after new year seems to have fallen away in the last few years quite spectacularly.

Even the West will struggle after this week especially if next week also turns out warm, wet and windy. Glencoe has the best snow but even there not very promising. Cairngorm and the Lecht have had no really good falls since December and Glenshee's has all been washed away.

You never know here in Scotland though. Anyone else old enough to remember 1975? I had an Easter job in Aviemore that year. After a poor and very mild season repeated Northerly winds set in from mid March and built up the snow depths right through Easter. Even in the valley there was 40-60cms snow in places and the higher tows in Coire na Ciste had to be dug out to run. I think it was that year I skied the whole Coire Cas in the late May bank holiday. Had to watch out for a few holes through to the burn though in the gunbarrel.

Meanwhile today I maxed at 13.6C and it is currently 10.3C. Only a little light rain this morning so we missed the heavier stuff further West.

Posted

Even the West will struggle after this week especially if next week also turns out warm, wet and windy. Glencoe has the best snow but even there not very promising. Cairngorm and the Lecht have had no really good falls since December and Glenshee's has all been washed away.

You never know here in Scotland though. Anyone else old enough to remember 1975? I had an Easter job in Aviemore that year. After a poor and very mild season repeated Northerly winds set in from mid March and built up the snow depths right through Easter. Even in the valley there was 40-60cms snow in places and the higher tows in Coire na Ciste had to be dug out to run. I think it was that year I skied the whole Coire Cas in the late May bank holiday. Had to watch out for a few holes through to the burn though in the gunbarrel.

Meanwhile today I maxed at 13.6C and it is currently 10.3C. Only a little light rain this morning so we missed the heavier stuff further West.

Nice day here, bright , some sun, mild. not sure of temp but felt warmest of week so far.

Glenshee and the lecht have had it. thought did strick me that the west has had the better snow but current conditions it seeing most/all the rain plus the wind and mild so it will see a lot wiped out - hope they keep going though. I was reading on winterhighland that the centres (generally - true for Glenshee at least) have had enough to at least break even so that is good - I know plenty other business that would be envious of that!! Models showing no real hints yet that I can see of a cold blast. But there will be one or more in spring!

Like the blast from the pasts there skifreak! remember that season well!

SS - man, I feel your pain. I had assumed you extension was finished! we got one done a couple years ago and not for the feint hearted.

Posted

EDIT just checked the stats and official temp just over 15C in aberdoom today.. thought it felt quite mild! the unofficial thebigyin thermo is saying 16.5C for the garden today. struggle to belive that tho.

DOUBLE EDIT - 15.5C in the garden, canny read.

Edited by thebigyin

Posted

SS - man, I feel your pain. I had assumed you extension was finished! we got one done a couple years ago and not for the feint hearted.

To be honest, I feel it's one area where we should be more flexible legally with respect to first degree murder... :ph34r:

Och that's life. The end is in sight! Looking forward to my wee study with a view out over the hills. Shall be installing an outside halogen just above the window with the switch in handy reach. :good:

Interestingly, if you do wash your hair every day,

I wash the top of my head every day. Not sure that counts. Seems the longer I let it grow for, the less hair it looks like I have.....

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

You should have said, SS, I could recommend a good builder in Culbokie :doh:

Blizzards for the 1st week of March please.

Aye, BMW (because that's what you really want to be called, innit?), best rant on the subject I've read. Best not repeated in the presence of pubescent boys tho.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Looks like the Atlantic train has us down to the hardcore of Kilters noo !! Something afoot with a potential block to the NE as the pesky ridge moves off in the not too distant future... time will tell..

Hope we will see some more regular visitors over the 'quieter' months and not everyone migrates!

Right HC aboot that Barn and em snow blowers... !!

Posted

To be honest, I feel it's one area where we should be more flexible legally with respect to first degree murder... :ph34r:

If I could get hold of our builders now I'd be serving 25 to life. :angry:

Well the wind and rain have finally died for the time being.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Aye, BMW (because that's what you really want to be called, innit?), best rant on the subject I've read. Best not repeated in the presence of pubescent boys tho.

"BMW" hadn't occurred to me... I'm struggling to think of a Beemer that I ever felt anything positive towards... Nothing against 'em, mind, just... well, they're a bit anonymous and bland.... here, haud on a mo, what are you saying about me?!?! :80:

Posted

Funny about builders, love em or hate em... we had one lot here who spent a week putting up scaffolding then told it would cost twice as much to reharl a tall chimney; when I see that van I start to think about roof-mounted heavy machine guns and the damage I could inflict.

Erm, BMW... well, they're second only to Jags and I wouldn't have said bland, some of the fast ones are a bit :crazy:

Posted

Birds are into their dawn chorus with great gusto no need for an alarm clock.Grass greening up bulbs shooting up and apart from the wind very pleasant to be outside. Currently 11.2 c moderate W wind patchy cloud and bright intervels.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Very mild today, not a nice High though, breezy, drizzly, messy. Perhaps breaking down a little here http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg

A nice grey blanket... :) the joys.

Looking at the models just now is like a Groundhog Day of post 192 GFS output. Zonal Zonal Zonal Zonal...

What next?? Flood Watch, Drought Watch, Sun Watch...

Winter really did sneak away without a whimper... wonder if it has another trick up it's sleeve for us further North..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

12.1c/8.4c WSW. Dull, drizzly, dreich. I should really just copy and paste, because I'm sick of typing it!

Not over for Italy yet it seems.....

http://iceagenow.info/

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

looks like it will top out here at 15C again. Dry and reasonably bright today so cant complain. may need to cut the grass this weekend at this rate!

I see some 17C's being recorded in the south east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

another nondescript day - mainly notable for being breezy, mild and continuously grey sky all day.

I cannot believe how much quieter the model thread is! It's like a different place compared to December & January!

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Yeh it could be because this weather is suicidal! :cray:

Posted

Warm & windy today, first ticks of the year on the move. Bast'ards.

Slim chance I'll get some snow tomorrow :o if I can get high enough. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

if I can get high enough. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Aye, and I would forgive you that wee escape given the depressing weather. :whistling:

Friday night I suppose too.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Another very mild day here. 14.8C and warmest winter's day I have recorded (started 2009). Dry and bright enough.