Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Cold Spell Part 2

Zenarcher

Posted

mild, a slight breeze and dry now. Temp already up to 12C. So I guess it could go up a couple more degrees yet. The met forecasts haev toned down the max temps a wee bit and not a lot of sun forecast for the week, but looks mainly dry.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

mild, a slight breeze and dry now. Temp already up to 12C. So I guess it could go up a couple more degrees yet. The met forecasts haev toned down the max temps a wee bit and not a lot of sun forecast for the week, but looks mainly dry.

Ah would bank the mainly dry bit Bigyin!

Dinnae get enough o' that wither type in these parts. :angry:

Apparently the SE of Engurlund is in a drought situation?

Well we should sell some o' oor plentiful water tae they bankers eh :D

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aye, £1/litre sounds fair.

"Scottish natural water; pure as the driven snaw pishin rain."

5597.jpg

At that rate, Loch Ness'd be worth £7400 billion; 250 years worth ae block grant! Probably have filled up again by that time mind.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Ah would bank the mainly dry bit Bigyin!

Dinnae get enough o' that wither type in these parts. :angry:

Apparently the SE of Engurlund is in a drought situation?

Big Innes

aye, its fine by me. Will take dry - perhaps my garden mud-pit will dry out a bit.

I see Lossie and Kinloss are UK hot spots today - sitting at around 14C ! Nice. Peaked about 12C here. Even got a hint of sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Been a mild albeit windy, wet and miserable day today.

Our little island is a funny thing - I find the droughts down south so crazy, when our garden has been like a bog for months lol!

Posted

There has been a massive difference in rainfall totals between east and west Scotland. It's been a fairly dry last few months here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

There has been a massive difference in rainfall totals between east and west Scotland. It's been a fairly dry last few months here.

Well under average here too tough we did have a shower this afternoon that lasted for almost a minute.

Did Eskdalemuir not have over average rainfall every month last year? SW Scotland and NW England have been very wet I think.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Our little island is a funny thing - I find the droughts down south so crazy, when our garden has been like a bog for months lol!

Population density of Scotland = 66/km2

Population density of England = 395/km2

Rains considerably more in Scotland as you've probably noticed :winky:

20090314151759166.jpg

To much centralisation (in terms of economic planning, infrastructure development) around London/SE, very notably since the 1970's, means lots of people have moved there. They're thirsty.

Add in privatisation of English water and this means no central strategic plan for country-wide distribution with individual regional private companies unwilling to invest in such options as they don't know if they'll keep the contracts long term (short term gain outweighs long term benefits). It's as stupid as privatising air, but possible....

Renationalise English water

http://www.guardian....e-english-water

"While England's water industry was sold off to the private sector by the Conservative government in 1989, Scotland's stayed in full public ownership. Scottish Water, with no pressure to provide dividends to shareholders or reward wealthy investors, not only charges lower prices to its users than English companies, it has also recently announced that its price freeze, introduced in 2009, will continue for a fourth successive year"

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Breezy bright day here with maximum of 13c currently 10.5c and still breezy.Everything drying up but still plenty of wet patches,tidying stones today great day to be outside a week of this and others will be thinking of sowing spring barley near the coast on the lighter soils while we continue with stone removal.End of March is probably the best time for sowing here,soil hopefully begining to dry out and warm up,no delay to germination.

Posted

Left work @ 6pm to the first dry spell ion several days. Didn't last though, wet and windy again, albeit the wind never ceased. Topped 10c.

I see Lossie and Kinloss are in the middle of Summer. :rofl:

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Was looking for a good description of this:

t850Aberdeenshire.png

and ended up finding this.

diy_rollercoaster-1.jpg

:D

I want one.

-----------------------------------------

EDIT, oh and apparently the Basque country want's to join Scotland. Just celebrated their national day Scottish style. I figured there might be singficant benefits to that as, well, the pyrenees...snaw....

We have haggis and whisky to trade... :whistling:

http://newsnetscotla...free-euskotland

Free Euskotland!

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

cfs-0-6594.png?18

November 2010 rerun in the offing, if the most unreliable model since Kate Moss is to be believed.

Posted

I see the Met have a warning out for much of the West and Central for heavy rain and gales. I think they should look outside, it has arrived a little early. :nea:

Really wet and blowing hard. Getting depressed with this incessant Atlantic driven winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

At +6594 hours I would say that is pretty much nailded !

That Azores high / UK High as predicted really was a 'Winter Killer' of a solution.. if anything makes the model output pretty dull. Little variance within..

Posted

I tell you, if it weren't for December 2011, this winter would have been very poor and my mood would be notably fowl! lol. However weather is always interesting and this year will be interesting but hopefully in the right way and I do hope that we soon evolve to something that includes, seasonal, varied, mostly sunny but interesting weather that's hard not to enjoy!

LS - November 2012 is a bit far away yet but what are your thoughts on Spring 2012 - hopefully good and will lead to a good summer which would subsequently affect Autumn and winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I tell you, if it weren't for December 2011, this winter would have been very poor and my mood would be notably fowl! lol. However weather is always interesting and this year will be interesting but hopefully in the right way and I do hope that we soon evolve to something that includes, seasonal, varied, mostly sunny but interesting weather that's hard not to enjoy!

LS - November 2012 is a bit far away yet but what are your thoughts on Spring 2012 - hopefully good and will lead to a good summer which would subsequently affect Autumn and winter.

My own take on March would be this: stormy first third, colder blasts interspersed with warm sunshine for the latter 2/3s. Ironic blocking may well be in order through April and May, with mostly settled but cool weather with an easing of drought conditions at times further south. As for summer, I have no idea to be honest, but to be honest we're due a good one i.e. one with above average temperatures and below average rainfall. I did enjoy last summer in a very thrawn sense: one of the wettest periods I can recall with the highest temperature recorded here last year coming in April I believe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

LOL !

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Been doing a bit of research on SSTs and came up with this:

g20120221_2305_12524_1.png

g20120221_2306_12986_1.png

Using just the (uncorrected) Aberdeen winter temperature record (the longest on the database) and the global SST record from 1870 onwards for October and November respectively we can see that Atlantic SSTs have some degree of correlation with our land temperatures, if not perhaps the strongest. However, taking out the statistically dodgy early years and using simply 1970 to 2010 the correlation becomes more significant:

g20120221_2307_15157_1.png

Note also the lack of coherence between North Sea temperatures and Aberdeen land temperatures a month or two later: it is clear that North Sea SSTs are more reactive than predictive in nature.

Using the Jones NAO data, however, gives a different pattern:

g20120221_2312_19083_1.png

A surprising finding really: a slight inverse correlation between Northeast Atlantic SSTs in November and the winter NAO but almost nothing of interest showing up in the mid Atlantic. I'll try it out on the NOAA one but it certainly looks like I'm going to have an interesting time playing around with these datasets.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Forecasting for when?!?!? Could someone give me a forecast for summer next year please so I know where to go for me hols... And don't say Fortrose.

I got my cumuppance today for my smug morning post; rain this afternoon and more now and tomorrow morning (not IMBY, just a few miles west). Willows are starting to flower and the flies were er flying in the warmth today. No longjohns needed!

Lorenzo, that clip's got the biggest laugh of the day :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Population density of Scotland = 66/km2

Population density of England = 395/km2

Rains considerably more in Scotland as you've probably noticed :winky:

To much centralisation (in terms of economic planning, infrastructure development) around London/SE, very notably since the 1970's, means lots of people have moved there. They're thirsty.

Add in privatisation of English water and this means no central strategic plan for country-wide distribution with individual regional private companies unwilling to invest in such options as they don't know if they'll keep the contracts long term (short term gain outweighs long term benefits). It's as stupid as privatising air, but possible....

Renationalise English water

http://www.guardian....e-english-water

"While England's water industry was sold off to the private sector by the Conservative government in 1989, Scotland's stayed in full public ownership. Scottish Water, with no pressure to provide dividends to shareholders or reward wealthy investors, not only charges lower prices to its users than English companies, it has also recently announced that its price freeze, introduced in 2009, will continue for a fourth successive year"

I agree (1st hand experience in industry) that privatisation was not clever - just borne of Tory short-sightedness - but there has never been any national strategic water plan for England or the UK involving a grid (as in power) because of the amount of infrastructure that would be needed. They need to sort out their consumption in the south-east else they're in deep poo, the problem is only going to get worse without less centralization.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Not thirsty - but curiously eager to believe the advertising agencies' hype. It isn't drinking the water, it's the obsession that has developed since the 1970s that everyone must ALWAYS have a shower and wash their hair EVERY single day, otherwise they are somehow stinky and filthy.

Interestingly, if you do wash your hair every day, the poor stressed-out oil-stripped stuff frantically tries to protect itself by producing extra oils.... so you actually create hair that needs washing daily. Congratulations. And because it's washed everyday, it cannot keep its condition so you now need to condition it daily. Congratulations again.

You now need 7 days' worth of shampoo and 7 days' worth of conditioner each week. How much does that cost?

Me, I wash my hair once weekly and don't use bought conditioner. It's glossy and gorgeous and way past waist-length.

It baffles me. All those millions of people who have just sat down and said, "what's that? You want me to damage my hair so that I am forced to buy your products to use daily? Oh, okay!"

It's the power-shower, not the mug, that's the water-guzzler...

Windy and bright here. Mild.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

See you next winter guys I don't do summer. Nae point in flogging a dead horse. Hopefully we will get a proper winter next year. I really feel sorry for the ski resorts:

mid.jpeg