Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 6

A.J

Posted

I can live with forecasts being wrong in a tricky situation like this (though it's still very disappointing). What I do object to is when forecasts are clearly wrong after an event has started and are nevertheless not updated.

Back to the here and now: very light ice needles falling.

The BBC Look East forecast from 6.50pm last night was still on the BBC weather site this morning. That showed how desperately wrong it was. A light dusting for the west of the region (Northants) they said, all the snow further west they said. Dreadful forecasting, if the so called professionals don't bother to look at the radar, current temperatures and dewpoints. Are the MetOffice in a bunker deep underground? Even the "Nowcasts" on Ceefax used to be wrong.

Watching the front stall 6 miles South of Northampton was painful.

That was horrid. We got about an inch, and Bedford got loads. And I work in Bedford so the pain was even worse driving in on the following Monday morning.

Posted

The BBC Look East forecast from 6.50pm last night was still on the BBC weather site this morning. That showed how desperately wrong it was. A light dusting for the west of the region (Northants) they said, all the snow further west they said. Dreadful forecasting, if the so called professionals don't bother to look at the radar, current temperatures and dewpoints. Are the MetOffice in a bunker deep underground? Even the "Nowcasts" on Ceefax used to be wrong.

That was horrid. We got about an inch, and Bedford got loads. And I work in Bedford so the pain was even worse driving in on the following Monday morning.

looks like the roles are reversed this year lol, though last week we done ok

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted

dec 2010 was a one off and probably wont happen here again for many years, last week was ok but just a bog standard 3 inches

i;ll give it 2/10 as i wasn't expecting anything anyway, practically melted here now anyway

Loads left here in Rushden! Got about 12-14cm in the back garden and in Hall Park round the back of the house. Lots more grit down so town centre pretty clear. I lived in Bedford for a couple of years late 90s before moving to Rushden. And in all the years of commuting back and forth only that once - december 2010 - has Bedford ever had any more snow than here!

If you land at Heathrow in marginally snowy weather and driving back home up the A6 off the M1 what normally happens is that you get the snow around Luton, then its non-existant in Bedford, then north of Sharnbrook it reappears.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Loads left here in Rushden! Got about 12-14cm in the back garden and in Hall Park round the back of the house. Lots more grit down so town centre pretty clear. I lived in Bedford for a couple of years late 90s before moving to Rushden. And in all the years of commuting back and forth only that once - december 2010 - has Bedford ever had any more snow than here!

just goes to show how localised snow can be, a ridiculous difference between my area and yours both today and in 2010, so you got your revenge on us

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted

just goes to show how localised snow can be, a ridiculous difference between my area and yours both today and in 2010, so you got your revenge on us

Beauty is I have the day off to enjoy it - time back for spending a couple of weeks out in Houston. Got back saturday just in the nick of time, and spending it with my 2 1/2 year old as well who is now old enough to get really excited. Couldn't really wish for anything else!

There is a slight caveat - most of Bedford is at 30m, and Rushden typically 70-100m. Thats worth -0.5C difference in temperature!

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Still getting the odd light flurry here, don't know whether anyone else is experiencing it. At lunchtime it was falling from hazy sunny skies. Overcast now currently -0.4C, dewpoint -3.2C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Have light snow here in south cheshire not forecast you really cannot make it up lol

C.S

Posted

Started lightly snowing here about 30 minutes ago, and getting steadily heavier — better then anything last night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

2/10 Bish, got an overnight dusting...last weekend 9/10....TBH after the disappointment of 2010/11 winter, I'm grateful for any snow....2010/11 was poor for me, despite it being really cold before Xmas, there was very little actual snowfall

10/11 was poor? I thought it was very good, I had loads of snow between 26 Nov and 07 Jan, This Feb been good as well, 3 inches of snow last Sat, and still not all melted, loads around astonfields, even a bit of snow last night, a few grains today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Guys - whats the weatehr looking like for around 7 to 11pm tonight . Thinking of going to Birmingham from the Redditch are, but worried about any inclement weatehr or icey roads.

Cheers

Roads are dry around here, so can't see any problem with ice really.

No idea what's forecast - given up reading it after yesterday's debacle!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A fair bit of the snow from last night hasnt melted here. :)

Posted

from all the met office warnings it sounded like we would see some heavy snow, in reality there was nothing.

The snow last weekend failed to do anything signifficant, despite warnings form the met office to the contrary, and last years snow event only left a small covering.

Are the met office aware of the story about the boy who cried wolf? when i hear other people saying theres a weather warning, the typical coment is that its all a load of rubbish, as the bad weather either never somes or is no way near as bad as they are making it out to be.

Posted

A fair bit of the snow from last night hasnt melted here. :)

Impressive considering the small amount we got. None left here in Wordsley apart from the odd dark corner. Where I work in Blackheath still has a good cover...in fact, the side roads were covered there this morning and the main roads weren't much better. Noticed around Merry Hill and Brierley Hill still had a covering too this evening when heading home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Impressive considering the small amount we got. None left here in Wordsley apart from the odd dark corner. Where I work in Blackheath still has a good cover...in fact, the side roads were covered there this morning and the main roads weren't much better. Noticed around Merry Hill and Brierley Hill still had a covering too this evening when heading home.

Indeed, In Hagley there was barely anything. Very little in Pedmore and Lye then in Quarry Bank, much of it remains especially on the grass. Melted on pavements only really.

Posted

Shame the northerly is in deepest FI, cheshire gap snow has been lacking lately, onionsty attempt mid dec, thing is need the -10 uppers and 510 dam, unlike saturdays frontal snow

Posted

Lot's of low marks then, with most in the west of the region generally going for between 0/10 to 2/10. Predictably, those in the east were far more positive, although that was mostly down to the Northants posters - I think the highest I've seen was an 8/10.

What I find really shocking is how comparatively badly the Leicester area did overall. The pics that Andy posted this morning just about summed things up, just a light covering really. And yet, geographically speaking, Leicester and Northampton are not too far apart.

Bish

Posted

all to do with elevation really, dudley/quarry bank generally speaking is higher than parts of stourbridge

True, but here isnt that much higher than Stourbridge. About 20m probably and the difference is quite stark!

Btw did I see a post from you saying you had just 2/3cm last Saturday? If so wow because here managed about 7-10cm!

What does "onionsty" mean? I've seen it written several times now?

I think its to cover up a swear word. The filter does it.

Posted

What does "onionsty" mean? I've seen it written several times now?

, eg, modern er@ is christmas pudding

Edited by ajpoolshark
we knoe what it means...swear filter is there for a reason...lol

Posted

means sh*t! automatic swear filter, eg, modern er@ is christmas pudding

Bit of a weird substitution isn't it?

I'd have subbed it for "sheet" or "shirt" or something lol :D