Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 6

A.J

Posted

Oh my gosh wow words can't describe the situation in Telford right now!

Literally the whole town is covered in a thick layer of ice from freezing rain, everything is frozen, slipped over many times on the walk home and trees/powerlines look really to fall right now!!

Posted

Literally the whole town is covered in a thick layer of ice from freezing rain, everything is frozen, slipped over many times on the walk home and trees/powerlines look really to fall right now!!

Get some photos!! before it all melts?? Blimey! must be awsome looking? :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

looking further ahead...

A forecast based on the 00zGFS output.....

It looks fairly quiet now for several days as High Pressure establishes itself to the west of the UK, blocking the atlantic, with the current modeled orientation of the HP I would expect a cool NWerly breeze bring in cloud & drizzle to western parts of the midlands, drier further east, but I think sunshine might well be at a premium...

Next wekend as the model output moves into FI, the HP is forecasted to slip away SWwards allowing a much cooler showery regime with North Westerly wind pattern, good news for western parts as cheshire gap streamers are possible with snow accs on the cards as upper temps are very low and well supportive of wintry PPN....

looking even further ahead Day 11 shows a deep Low Pressure skirting the south of the region, this would have the potential for a big snow event for all of the region, and as it pulls away to the east, introduces a very cold northerly toppler, dry for most parts (the wishbone effect) with snow showers in the extreme west & east of our region....

So there you go, a quick forecast, and as a rough guide, and in terms of accuracy and verification, I'd knock 5% per day off percentage probability :)

Posted

Get some photos!! before it all melts?? Blimey! must be awsome looking? :o

Yeah shall try and snap some pics in a bit when its properly light although it's so foggy at the moment there's barely any visibility to speak of and most of its black ice.

Most interesting walk home in a while though :lol: never turned to snow at all just steady rain yesterday evening at 0c then freezing drizzle since midnight still going now with temp hovering around -1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Got a light dusting of snow here in West Malvern, very foggy out, temp -1.0oC. We appear to have missed out on the 'good stuff'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

very light dusting of snow, 0.0C, next week I think looks very wet in my area, constant rain mon-thurs, bring on next dry spell

Posted

1cm last night - bit disappointing. But .......... it's just started snowing again in Evesham! :D Fairly light, but medium sized flakes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Roughly 2inches hear, just been outside, everything frozon solid, and bitter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

looking further ahead...

A forecast based on the 00zGFS output.....

It looks fairly quiet now for several days as High Pressure establishes itself to the west of the UK, blocking the atlantic, with the current modeled orientation of the HP I would expect a cool NWerly breeze bring in cloud & drizzle to western parts of the midlands, drier further east, but I think sunshine might well be at a premium...

Next wekend as the model output moves into FI, the HP is forecasted to slip away SWwards allowing a much cooler showery regime with North Westerly wind pattern, good news for western parts as cheshire gap streamers are possible with snow accs on the cards as upper temps are very low and well supportive of wintry PPN....

looking even further ahead Day 11 shows a deep Low Pressure skirting the south of the region, this would have the potential for a big snow event for all of the region, and as it pulls away to the east, introduces a very cold northerly toppler, dry for most parts (the wishbone effect) with snow showers in the extreme west & east of our region....

So there you go, a quick forecast, and as a rough guide, and in terms of accuracy and verification, I'd knock 5% per day off percentage probability :)

Am i right in saying the ''potential'' is still there for northerly blocking around the next 10days or so? Surely the strat condition we'v all been waiting for wouldnt just change overnight would it?

Posted

Nothing here, not even sleet! Just rainy-drizzley stuff. Still have some snow left from last weekend, so at least it wasn't all washed away.

Posted

None of that here, got a light dusting & that's it. Some ice rain last night mind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Am i right in saying the ''potential'' is still there for northerly blocking around the next 10days or so? Surely the strat condition we'v all been waiting for wouldnt just change overnight would it?

yes it is Shaun...my quick forecast is based purely on GFS00z data

Posted

Light dusting of snow here in Worcs

Still a light drizzle / sleet in the air.

Was supposed to be going out to Brum tonight , but looks like its going to be a bit icey - so my anxiety has won again , and Im stopping in :diablo:

Is that forecast right about -3 for about 9pm

Just dont want to go and find the roads icey on my way home about 10 ish ?

Edited by mr benn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Unexpected light dusting of snow this morning. Back to drizzle now, though, so it may not last long. Not an exciting event, but I suppose it's better than I expected late last night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

About a fresh cm here overnight. Must have had another heavy shower. Still very fine snow falling now. :)

Posted

very light snow here currently

Posted

Well according to my hi-tech measuring device (tape measure pushed into snow on the back garden) we managed to get another 3cm settle on the lying snow (went from 6cm to 9cm), although previously clear areas had less the 1cm settle as it melted early on.

Was still snowing here on and off up to 2.00 in the morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Just the thinnest dusting of fresh snow here ( 0.4cm ) after several hours of freezing rain and ice pellets. Any grass not covered in old frozen snow is decidedly crunchy when walked on.

Posted

Poor night overall here. Only thing to remember is this was just a small bit of precip a few days prior on the models and quickly developed into something with much more potential. Hopefully there will be one last spell of snow before thius winters done

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Poor here just a dusting, Meto at one point last night had us down for heavy snow!!! Might get one more shot of snow before spring arrives..

Posted

So what are your marks out of ten for this event?

I'll give it 2/10, one point for the light dusting we eventually received during the early hours, and an extra point for at least avoiding hours of cold rain.

Bish