Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 6

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I love snow, looks so majestic and creates a mood- I can assure you it's certainly put me in one!

That NAE run from this morning seems like last year now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and Snow

Haha, it's making my day this - apparently my mate talked to someone at the metoffice who was still going for heavy snow all night here - NOT going to happen! Severe disappointment for him tomorrow I feel!

Edited by FreezeManiac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I think myself, Gord and Soma are the only happy West Midlanders in this thread. :lol:

At least weve seen a brief spell of very very heavy snowfall. Brief but enough not to make this a non event and just to see the ground white again is a bonus.

Must emphasise the Ice risk tomorrow morning though. Telephone wires look to have a layer of ice around them here from what I can see! -0.1c here.

Posted

I think myself, Gord and Soma are the only happy West Midlanders in this thread. :lol:

At least weve seen a brief spell of very very heavy snowfall. Brief but enough not to make this a non event and just to see the ground white again is a bonus.

Must emphasise the Ice risk tomorrow morning though. Telephone wires look to have a layer of ice around them here from what I can see! -0.1c here.

I'm happy with that heavy shower we've got. But I am dissappointed with the event overall. But like you said, we did get crazy snow for a few minutes so shoudn't complain.

I'm concerned about tomorrow morning. Might have to get the train to work tomorrow.

Posted

Has anybody noticed how, earlier this evening, the ppn had formed an enormous V-shape over the entire region? Almost like the weather was literally flicking a V sign at us lol :rofl:

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I'm happy with that heavy shower we've got. But I am dissappointed with the event overall. But like you said, we did get crazy snow for a few minutes so shoudn't complain.

I'm concerned about tomorrow morning. Might have to get the train to work tomorrow.

Yep disappointing event overall but so happy weve seen something when so many havent in this region. :)

Posted

Is there still time for us to pull victory from the jaws of defeat? Anybody??? :sorry:

Bish

There are some bits and pieces to our north and north east that might produce something...but on the whole, I'm afraid that's it.

As Blizzards said, ice will be the major talking point in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

Still nothing here, what time is the snow due, im just South of Derby?

That was it by the look of it Rich :search:

Posted

Raining here with a temp of -0.7c.Never experienced this before !

Edited by roymeboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Weirdly, it's sleeting! A very, very, very thin and slushy coating at the bottom of car windows. That's all, and it's dying away now anyway. Still more than expected, though!

Posted

have to agree with radders and i feel your sympathy. its fast becoming a poor region for snowfall, what it has in good elevation around the central midlands it lacks in proximity to a body of water(although it is never far away). once again we were initially in the firing line and that has shifted eastwards. not for the first time but i do apologise to areas in leicestershire and nottinghamshire that have missed out. im as fed up as anyone else but i guess its a warning to expect the unexpected with snow forecasts, as you can bet your bottom dollar 9 times out of 10 that snow forecast to be heaviest in the west midlands will end up somewhere else.

Posted

6cm of fresh snow here so far tonight, and in places on top of 6cm leftovers from the weekend. I'm not complaining!

im not far from you i got 2cm at best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

I think it's freezing rain over here now!

Posted

the met office will probably just ignore there errors and brush it under the carpet

at least joe public will be happy, in the areas that snow was orginally forecast

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted

Well at least we have two and half weeks of winter to drag some sort of snowy crap from left?

Has been a very very strange winter hasn't it?

I hope the spring is warm and sunny, we deserve some compensation for what we have to put up with! :D

Also, at least we get two winters a year to moan about don't we? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

The heaviest precip of the day (according to the radar) has arrived here now - it's rain even at this height.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

have to agree with radders and i feel your sympathy. its fast becoming a poor region for snowfall, what it has in good elevation around the central midlands it lacks in proximity to a body of water(although it is never far away). once again we were initially in the firing line and that has shifted eastwards. not for the first time but i do apologise to areas in leicestershire and nottinghamshire that have missed out. im as fed up as anyone else but i guess its a warning to expect the unexpected with snow forecasts, as you can bet your bottom dollar 9 times out of 10 that snow forecast to be heaviest in the west midlands will end up somewhere else.

good point, and after having been spoiled rotten in snowfall last weekend, we should've know better this time around...Oh well, we're moving back down to south devon later on in the year, at least I won't be disappointed there as snow is never forecasted there...lol

Posted

Is there still time for us to pull victory from the jaws of defeat? Anybody??? :sorry:

Bish

Can't see how. But i think there was one time, was it winter 2008/9 or 2009/10, when an event seemed to be over, then some new precip pepped up out of nowhere behind the band, and gave an unexpected decent snowfall (maybe 10cm). So not impossible i suppose..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Can't see how. But i think there was one time, was it winter 2008/9 or 2009/10, when an event seemed to be over, then some new precip pepped up out of nowhere behind the band, and gave an unexpected decent snowfall (maybe 10cm). So not impossible i suppose..

Hmmm I just have the feeling were way out of the league of those winters if you get my drift.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

good point, and after having been spoiled rotten in snowfall last weekend, we should've know better this time around...Oh well, we're moving back down to south devon later on in the year, at least I won't be disappointed there as snow is never forecasted there...lol

Well at least we can guarantee snow next winter then...it always happens that way! :good: