Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 6

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Snow didn't reach this far south, the radar was most impressive when I had a peek at 4 a.m. - much better than it looked at bedtime. I can see white on the Welsh mountains due west from here, lucky so-and-sos. A chilly 1.4oC here at the moment.

Posted

Can't believe I'm missing thundersnow.

really high based as the flashes were bright but the thunder was very distant. It lit the sky up blue which is a new one for me as the only other time I witnessed t/s it was pink.

Still a light covering here and I wish I had my HD cam to attach to my rc plane to get some aerial footage of Norton with snowcover :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

hurray, woke up to a covering of snow :clap: ..must admit I didn't expect that, I thought the cheshire gap effect was going to fizzle out....looking at the radar it looks like it was the heavy shower around 2:30 am that did the 'damage'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and warmth in summer Snow and ice in winter

About 2 cm's this morning but wasn't long before the sun started melting it away :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A nice covering on all surfaces this morning. Melting rapidly though now. Looks like the Cheshire Gap did really well last night. Now why can on some nights the showers push so well inland and on other nights not at all???

Posted

8c and a dewpoint of 1.6c now here in Telford, no wonder the snow has melted so quick :( but not ruling the winter finished yet :)

P.s good old cheshire gap snow, just could of been the favoured direction earlier in the winter :)

Edited by quest4peace

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Im looking forward to the 14-16c on Thursday. Im certainly in the Spring mood now so Thursday will be a great taster for it though it doesnt look too sunny right now.

Posted

It actually feels warm in that sun standing on what's left of the snow.

I too hope this isn't it for winter- today was the first morning with lying snow for over 13 months and we're overdue a snowy March here.

Amazing how 15 miles to our west can have different weather, it's about our third time here in telford, but to be fair our normal snow direction is off the irish sea :), one thing we seem to be very good at though is being one of, if not the coldest, place in england lol! Newport (telford and wrekin) which is part of Telford (could be disputed lol!) has the lowest ever temp recorded in england

-26.1 °C at Newport, Shropshire on 10 January 1982 now that's cold Lol!

web_intl_acttemps_world_600.jpg

http://uk.weather.com/global

Look at the lovely cold to our east current world temps at 11:00 is winter over yet for uk?

Edited by quest4peace

Posted

Amazing how 15 miles to our west can have different weather, it's about our third time here in telford, but to be fair our normal snow direction is off the irish sea :), one thing we seem to be very good at though is being one of, if not the coldest, place in england lol! Newport (telford and wrekin) which is part of Telford (could be disputed lol!) has the lowest ever temp recorded in england

-26.1 °C at Newport, Shropshire on 10 January 1982 now that's cold Lol!

Iit hit -19 at Shawbury in December 2010 when, unusually, Shrewsbury got more snow than parts of south Shropshire. That month seems so long ago in this practically snowless winter.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

My regionally selective look at the week ahead:

Headline: Becoming very mild. Changeable with some rain at times. Exceptionally mild on Thursday and Friday, especially the Midlands

Unless the next few months are very wet, then water shortages beckon for the Midlands this Summer, as the Winter has failed to produce adequate rainfall after the very dry 2011. The rest of February will only see small amounts of rain for Warwickshire once more.

High pressure over us tonight gives a frosty start to Monday, although this may be lifting by dawn over west Wales as a milder breeze spreads in. A dry, bright day for the MIdlands, but clouding over for west Wales, and drizzle possible late in the evening.

From Tuesday, a deep fetch of air originating from the tropical Atlantic, feeds in increasingly mild winds from the south-west or west.

Mostly cloudy and mild on Tuesday and Wednesday with rain and drizzle at times, most for west Wales; drier spells for Midlands. although even here there will be a spell of light rain late on Wednesday. Fresh to strong south-west winds.

Thursday and Friday will be mostly dry, bar the odd spot of drizzle for west Wales (typical!). Sunny spells are likely for the central Midlands meaning exceptionally mild days, reaching as high as 15 or even 16c. Even for cloudier west Wales, 13 or 14c is attainable on Thursday. These figures are not often reached in February and are 6 to 8c above the average. Still a fair bit below the record of 19c reached in the Midlands in February 1998 though.

A mainly dry looking set up for next weekend, although weak troughs may threaten a little rain in places. Should skies clear by night then slight frosts would occur.

For supportive model charts:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72646-wales-cymru-spring-weather-discussion/page__gopid__2273923#entry2273923

Posted

Had a heavyish snow shower last night giving a dusting on all surfaces however it's already completely melted :lol:

Posted

was snowing last nt at 11.0pm, moke up to 1.5cm this morning, still got lying snow in shady areas, nice surprise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Just to add to the reports: there was a dusting of snow here in the early morning -- a nice surprise, as Cheshire Gap stuff doesn't always get quite this far west. A tiny amount lay in the shadiest areas until early afternoon, but it's long gone now.

Plenty of time left for snow, of course. Perhaps not long-lasting, but I'm sure many of us remember April 2008. In spite of only really hanging around for a few hours, around here that was one of the best snowfalls of the pre-2009 winters -- even though it wasn't actually in winter!

And now comes the abrupt change... can we record the first 15 °C of the year by Thursday? At least it keeps a point of interest now that the snow's gone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

All white stuff no where to been seen on the ground now with it all melted. Sorry I did not send any of my snow to those who may have missed out on it, but I thought I'd be mean and keep it all to myself. :p

Posted

Woke up to a nice dusting here, enough to make it white over. Drove up to the Horshoe Pass with wife and kids about 10am, (only hour from here) and stopped at The Ponderosa Cafe. There must of been 3/4 inches of fresh snow up there from last night and a foot drifts! Well worth the hours drive!

Posted

My regionally selective look at the week ahead:

Headline: Becoming very mild. Changeable with some rain at times. Exceptionally mild on Thursday and Friday, especially the Midlands

Unless the next few months are very wet, then water shortages beckon for the Midlands this Summer, as the Winter has failed to produce adequate rainfall after the very dry 2011. The rest of February will only see small amounts of rain for Warwickshire once more.

High pressure over us tonight gives a frosty start to Monday, although this may be lifting by dawn over west Wales as a milder breeze spreads in. A dry, bright day for the MIdlands, but clouding over for west Wales, and drizzle possible late in the evening.

From Tuesday, a deep fetch of air originating from the tropical Atlantic, feeds in increasingly mild winds from the south-west or west.

Mostly cloudy and mild on Tuesday and Wednesday with rain and drizzle at times, most for west Wales; drier spells for Midlands. although even here there will be a spell of light rain late on Wednesday. Fresh to strong south-west winds.

Thursday and Friday will be mostly dry, bar the odd spot of drizzle for west Wales (typical!). Sunny spells are likely for the central Midlands meaning exceptionally mild days, reaching as high as 15 or even 16c. Even for cloudier west Wales, 13 or 14c is attainable on Thursday. These figures are not often reached in February and are 6 to 8c above the average. Still a fair bit below the record of 19c reached in the Midlands in February 1998 though.

A mainly dry looking set up for next weekend, although weak troughs may threaten a little rain in places. Should skies clear by night then slight frosts would occur.

For supportive model charts:

http://forum.netweat...23#entry2273923

I feel like we are being set up for a truly awful and wet summer.

The weather just seems to be vindictive to the point of malevolence just recently, giving us only things we do not either desire or need!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I'm sure the Midlands need a good rainfall - unfortunately summer may be the time you get it.. knowing our climate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Good grief - it's snowing here! Temp is around 1.2oC, I expect it'll be short-lived but that's the first white stuff I've seen for awhile! Proper flakes, too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I'm sure the Midlands need a good rainfall - unfortunately summer may be the time you get it.. knowing our climate.

not this part of the midlands! E and SE areas northants etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Good grief - it's snowing here! Temp is around 1.2oC, I expect it'll be short-lived but that's the first white stuff I've seen for awhile! Proper flakes, too!

Yep, a little flurry here too!

Very out of the blue.... (well, grey really)

Posted

not this part of the midlands! E and SE areas northants etc

All of the Midlands had below 75% rainfall last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Yep, a little flurry here too!

Very out of the blue.... (well, grey really)

(lol) And I missed it. But looking back at the radar, can see that one or two little pieces of precipitation passed through around 8 to 9 am.

Cuurently cloudy with a bit of a gentle wind. :)

Posted

I'm looking forward to the 16c on Thursday, however slate grey skies as always until then.

I really hope we get a sunny summer this year, last year was one long Autumn with a week of summer in April, a week of summer at the end of September and only a day or two in the actual summer, even the end of June 'heatwave' was a cloudfest here on the Sunday and clouded over by 12:30pm on the Monday.

To be honest Autumn began on 4th May here and carried on until late September and then returned on 4th October and hasn't left since bar that chillier/fail spell early this month :lol: