Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 8

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome

A frost tomorrow morning for most providing there is clear skies which will be nice :)

A very mild but wet week looks like the agenda this week, let's hope there isn't too much rain

Nights turn frosty again from Sunday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

A frost tomorrow morning for most providing there is clear skies which will be nice :)

A very mild but wet week looks like the agenda this week, let's hope there isn't too much rain

Nights turn frosty again from Sunday

No lower than 8c after 11pm here tonight and it is going to chuck it down all week until Thursday.. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Its cloudy and 4 degrees hete guys, dry as a bone though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

No afraid not but within the next couple of days.

What's with the name change lol?

I had bad reputation on my other name :(

Posted

I agree too BT! You get too much stick for being enthusiastic! If people are going take your word as gospel, then it's their problem, not yours! :)

Thanks mate, appreciate it. :D

Posted

When was the last time members had a proper thunderstorm? And I mean a proper thunderstorm overhead as opposed to a shower with the odd thunderclap now and then or one that just missed.

I reckon it was over 2 years ago here, I can't even recall when I last heard thunder, the last time I definitely saw ligthtning was at distance from late August last year from those cells in the Liverpool area.

We talk about the lack of snow but the lack of thunder let alone thunderstorms is even more stark

Good 90 minute thunderstorm in April or May here. Can't remember which month, got it all on film though. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

I had bad reputation on my other name :(

But people still know who you are :D

Posted

But people still know who you are :D

Shhhh!!! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sunny Days, Summer evening Thunderstorms, Snow and Cold.

When was the last time members had a proper thunderstorm? And I mean a proper thunderstorm overhead as opposed to a shower with the odd thunderclap now and then or one that just missed.

I reckon it was over 2 years ago here, I can't even recall when I last heard thunder, the last time I definitely saw ligthtning was at distance from late August last year from those cells in the Liverpool area.

We talk about the lack of snow but the lack of thunder let alone thunderstorms is even more stark

The last memorable thunderstorm I had here was around 24th or 25th of May last year. It was a very brief storm that started around 2am and started off as heavy hail. The first lightning strike sounded like a shot gun being fired. It was a bright flash and instant bang but no echo. This set car alarms off and terrified my kids. A few minutes later another very close discharge just as loud as the first one happened and rather strangely at the same time I heard a click inside the house like somebody turning on a light switch or mains socket switch. The next morning I woke to find we had no Virgin service - Phone, Broadband or TV in our road until lunchtime. It also blown our HDMI connections on our TV (We have not got an Ariel on our roof). A few weeks later I noticed the top of the tree at the bottom of our garden was dead, I don't know if this was stuck or not. Also the hail stones damaged all the foliage on the plants too.

I also remember the late August Thunderstorm in Liverpool last year. I was right on the edge of that storm where I live and had an amazing light display for most of the evening. I also was told the Liver Buildings got struck from the same storm?

Edited by Weather-Voyager

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

What an orrible wet day.

I know :( This driving rain is still better than drizzle trhough! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sunny Days, Summer evening Thunderstorms, Snow and Cold.

it's been overcast here for most of the day with a slight drizzle around lunchtime. A slight to moderate breeze and temps ~ 8.5 - 9.0 c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome

Not the best of days here in the North West today, looks like similar stuff all week until the weekend. :(

Posted

Was dry here until around 3. Then its been wet since. Went for a run at 5 but it felt colder than it did the other day, though being soaked by the end didn't help I guess...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Rain is still going strong. Non stop since this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Still raining here in Leyland, Temps routhly about 9C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Looks like there have been some really intense bursts of orographic rain over the Lake District fells in particular, as well as the west facing Pennines. I really hope this pattern doesn't persist too long as we all saw in Nov 2009 what can happen! Looking at the radar about 50-75mm should have fell over some of the western fells today, and more heavy rain is expected tomorrow and Wednesday. :help:

Obviously nothing like the scale of Nov 2009 at the moment, but I'm seeing shades of August 2008 or 2010 as I remember some very localised heavy rain in Cumbria at times when the rest of the UK had anticyclonic gloom from the moist westerlies.

Posted

My extended forecast

February 2012

Temperature: BELOW Average

Rainfall: BELOW Average

Sunshine: ABOVE Average

A cold start to February is expected with an increasing risk of snow to much of the country through the first week and into the weekend, the cold weather is set to continue during the second week, but with a switch to cold North or North Westerly winds for a time, heralding a change to less cold conditions - although still around average for the time of year.We are still very confident of a switch to colder weather nearer to the end of the month. The rest of February is likely to be average or slightly below. There is likely to be a succession of Northerly or North Westerly outbreaks interluded with milder intervals. Although the signal for a mid-atlantic high has now been dropped, we are still confident of heights building to the NE at least once more before Winter is out - bringing in the cold continental air, for the second time. We do not expect the cold to be like the last, due to the cold pooling over Europe(the cold atmospheric profiles) been warmed up somewhat, but they are still very cold. We do expect the month to end on a cold note, with winds from either the North, Or North East. Below average rainfall in the West, above in the East - perhaps more so in the way of snow. Milder weather becoming more prolonged than expected, with shots of cold lasting no more than a few days until the end of the month. The weather is expected to be very changable throughout the rest of the period with rain & gales becoming a risk. There is a clear west/east split been shown on this model. The East has been clearly much colder, and is forecast to stay below average. What is striking is the anomaly over the nororiously colder Scotland & N.Ireland. A truly exceptional month indeed, and it's likely to continue on the average side, perhaps above average at times for Scotland & N.Ireland. We do expect Scotland & N.Ireland to cool down somewhat from this weekend, with the first snow in the Scottish Highlands since 16th January!

Aaway from Central England, February has been, and will continue to be an exceptionally try month. Shockingly, usually the wettest region (NW Scotland) has seen only 50% of it's monthly rainfall.

post-8895-0-68402300-1329765001_thumb.pn

post-8895-0-88422600-1329765003_thumb.pn

March 2012

Temperature: AROUND Average

Rainfall: BELOW Average

Sunshine: ABOVE Average

As with last week’s update, March is still very uncertain, however as we move closer to the beginning of March, the picture starts to become clearer day by day. There are strong signals that March will start on the cold or very cold side as high pressure gains control of our weather with winds from the North/North East. We do not expect anything major, although there could be some significant falls of snow in places. Unsettled weather to follow after a 5-7 day cold spell with temperatures being around average for a time at least. Some very severe gales are possible as Northerly tracking low pressure systems bump into the United Kingdon - akin to December 2011. There is a possibility for some Spring warmth as the month progresses, and with the sun gaining strength everyday, it will feel pleasant. Brief cold spells from the East are also expected in this month as demonstrated by the March pressure anomaly charts, Europe will be far from mild, but Easterly outbreaks will lack the power of a mid-winter outbreak due to the continent warming slowly but surely. We're expecting a very average month in terms of temperature, with the South East again been on the cooler side, probably due to the expected continental influence. The West looks like being on the dry side, where as the East experiences near normal rainfall. Again, probably due to the continental influence, leaving the West dry & sunny, whilst showers affect the East.

post-8895-0-59461800-1329765004_thumb.pn

post-8895-0-59853300-1329765002_thumb.pn

April 2012

Temperature: ABOVE Average

Rainfall: ABOVE Average

Sunshine: AROUND Average

April is a long way away in terms of forecasting. Confidence at this stage is very low, and as a result, I will be using only the long range charts provided by Net Weather Extra.

Temperature: The computer model expects the temperature to be fairly average in the East, but warmer in the North & West, especially Scotland.

post-8895-0-24135400-1329765003_thumb.pn

Rainfall: Rainfall looks slightly above average for all of the UK apart from the far South & South East.

post-8895-0-92426700-1329765000_thumb.pn

Pressure anomaly: Pressure is looking higher than average at the moment, so some dry, settled periods are to be expected thanks to the influence of high pressure. The high distribution of rainfall combined with higher than average pressure suggests SW'erly winds becoming a dominent feature.

post-8895-0-23974300-1329765000_thumb.pn

*Please note - Feb forecast is outdated in parts, due to an early completion in January.

Edited by Goku

Posted

Still raining here in Leyland, Temps routhly about 9C.

Raining here too. Wanted to ask you, sorry if off topic, but i know that leyland can get quite a bit for jets flying over from Wharton that can be heard, more so recently, but today has been odd as this afternoon as i was stood on the driveway can hear a very loud rumbling noise almost like theres a jet right above you hovering, it was very loud and lasted for about a couple of minutes, id never heard it before, couldnt see anything, then just now at 7.30 in the evening it has happened 5 times within the space of 10 minutes....just wondering if you heard it too? What is it?

Posted

Raining here too. Wanted to ask you, sorry if off topic, but i know that leyland can get quite a bit for jets flying over from Wharton that can be heard, more so recently, but today has been odd as this afternoon as i was stood on the driveway can hear a very loud rumbling noise almost like theres a jet right above you hovering, it was very loud and lasted for about a couple of minutes, id never heard it before, couldnt see anything, then just now at 7.30 in the evening it has happened 5 times within the space of 10 minutes....just wondering if you heard it too? What is it?

Ufo

Posted

Ufo

Lol dont get me started on UFO's , its not an unidentified flying object as im not certain whatever this is is flying!! Lol cant even see anything,,,, i thought it wasa really powerful, odd rumbles of thunder lol, is the only way to describe it,but it definately isnt, more jet likebut like being underneath a jet going over head that frighten you to death lol, used to that as i used to live near an RAF base but this isnt the same.

Sorry for going off topic though, still subject of noise in the sky, but not the weather lol...reason i asked is cause pip lives in the same town and maybe Lancashire Lass might of heard something being in Preston?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

I heard some rumbling noises today. Im wondering the same thing. It might be some jets just took off from the airfield in warton for target practice.

Or it might took off for the war in Afghanistan.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

good effort forecast Backtrack! pip21 like the new name, based on one of my favourite shows? on VIVA at 8pm weeknights!!!!!!!!!!!!!

especially this one! Hilary's seance

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted

good effort forecast Backtrack! pip21 like the new name, based on one of my favourite shows? on VIVA at 8pm weeknights!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watch the intro in Youtube and its quite funny too. lol. especially the end part when his head spins. :rofl: