Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 8

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

I heard some rumbling noises today. Im wondering the same thing. It might be some jets just took off from the airfield in warton for target practice.

Or it might took off for the war in Afghanistan.

Well i know we get jets going over all the time from Warton and practising and testing but this is somehow different,especially 7.30pm in the evening, they could be going to Afganistan and what we are hearing are a few taking off at the same time, although the me the noise is static. I might have a look on the leyland forum and see if its been mentioned. Thanks for answering didnt know you'd heard it too.

Hmmn they could be arranging a dumping of snow for us seeing we missed out! ;) lol

Posted

I heard some rumbling noises today. Im wondering the same thing. It might be some jets just took off from the airfield in warton for target practice.

Or it might took off for the war in Afghanistan.

s

It is BAE at Warton. what you can hear are the jet engines being tested on the ground they park the jets up and run the engines for a while, would hate to have a house round there, you can clearly hear it from my house as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

s

It is BAE at Warton. what you can hear are the jet engines being tested on the ground they park the jets up and run the engines for a while, would hate to have a house round there, you can clearly hear it from my house as well.

Blimey all tne way over in leyland? Going overhead yeah,but on the ground and can hear it in leyland, i understand in Preston as you're closer. Certainly explain it though lol, thanks for the reply.

Edited by SparkleS

Posted

Find it hard to believe looking at all the rain we've had here today and over the winter that parts of the UK are actually in drought. Just think, if everyone moved to the NW they'd have plenty of water, but instead would be moaning about the lack of snow :-) surely in a country the size of ours this can be sorted out.

Find it hard to believe looking at all the rain we've had here today and over the winter that parts of the UK are actually in drought. Just think, if everyone moved to the NW they'd have plenty of water, but instead would be moaning about the lack of snow :-) surely in a country the size of ours this can be sorted out.

Yes, they can all have hosepipe bans, put bricks in their cisterns and take showers only, sorted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

When did the last time the weather forecaster says ''warm'' rather than mild? By the end of this week I prefer it warm over mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Lol dont get me started on UFO's , its not an unidentified flying object as im not certain whatever this is is flying!! Lol cant even see anything,,,, i thought it wasa really powerful, odd rumbles of thunder lol, is the only way to describe it,but it definately isnt, more jet likebut like being underneath a jet going over head that frighten you to death lol, used to that as i used to live near an RAF base but this isnt the same.

Sorry for going off topic though, still subject of noise in the sky, but not the weather lol...reason i asked is cause pip lives in the same town and maybe Lancashire Lass might of heard something being in Preston?

I heard something earlier this afternoon. Really loud rumbling it was.

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome

I very rainy night - lets hope the loud drops don't awaken me!

Posted

Thursday and beyond is looking interesting with a good possible 17/18C here in tropical western cheshire and merseyside. But by friday the warmer air is almost entirely cut off, as temperatures drop to 10C and very mild. There may well not be any overnight frost by Thursday night, but Friday night into saturday could well see temperatures drop to or near freezing and in some places below freezing. So if your planning on shoving the plants outside, Thursday is for now just a one off, with near freezing temps Friday night

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome

Thursday and beyond is looking interesting with a good possible 17/18C here in tropical western cheshire and merseyside. But by friday the warmer air is almost entirely cut off, as temperatures drop to 10C and very mild. There may well not be any overnight frost by Thursday night, but Friday night into saturday could well see temperatures drop to or near freezing and in some places below freezing. So if your planning on shoving the plants outside, Thursday is for now just a one off, with near freezing temps Friday night

10'c is VERY mild? It's only a couple of degrees above average! Anyway let's see what happens

Edited by hedgehog4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

good effort forecast Backtrack! pip21 like the new name, based on one of my favourite shows? on VIVA at 8pm weeknights!!!!!!!!!!!!!

especially this one! Hilary's seance

Thanks mate :)

And yes, if your favourite show is Dragonball/DBZ/DBGT then you are right :)

It's really on Viva? :o !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

What does the pressure look like for Thursday?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

We never really had any rain today. Just drizzle for an hour. So i can see how parts are on a drought watch. Was same last year when bbc reported wettest year or something or maybe driest cant remember but we were the opposite of what they said

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

What does the pressure look like for Thursday?

Like this.

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20120220/18/66/h500slp.png

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ecmimages/20120220/12/ecm500.072.png

In other words. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted

You know with hindsight, in spite of things looking favourable in the run-up, I'm not at all surprised the weekend's shot at snow turned out to be a non-event here. And with the forecast looking about as exciting as an evening spent listening to David Soul, it's very likely that February here will end up snowless again.

Having started with considerable promise, it's turned into another disappointing February. There have been Mays with more snow than this month.

@snow? norfolk n chance, Goku/Backtrack - if you like DBZ, you need to check out the fan-based parody 'TFS Abridged' on YouTube. Brilliant stuff.

Posted

10'c is VERY mild? It's only a couple of degrees above average! Anyway let's see what happens

Ok first off let me apologize for using the wrong words. I meant mild and not very mild.

Secondly, 11C is not simply a few degrees milder than the average february temperature, certainly not imby. (which i should have made explicit, sorry for the confusion). I have records going back a long way, with daily temperature records.

I think its important to understand that there is no such thing as an average temperature for the north west because it would be considerably misleading. By this I mean there is so much variation regarding altitude, whether one is close to the coast or more further inland or further south in the region. This is why there is so much variation, for example who will see snow or much colder temperatures overnight. In your case, with your elevation you will see snowfall frequency a lot more than I would regarding my location. Your temperature should be overall lower than mine, and given the winter we have just seen, and the snow you have had and the much colder temperatures you have experienced..compared to mine..you should be surely seeing a bigger swing in the temperature to mild or above mild?

I cannot remember a february as warm as this (minus the two week coldish spell last week of Jan and first week of feb), infact if I remember back I cannot remember a February without a least a cm on the ground here (at the start of the month)...very strange month, combining to be a very strange winter, when one considers just how cold its been outside the UK...cold all around us, but very little over us and a significant lack of snow throughout the year (unless you live in the east, south east or pennines)

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

We never really had any rain today. Just drizzle for an hour. So i can see how parts are on a drought watch. Was same last year when bbc reported wettest year or something or maybe driest cant remember but we were the opposite of what they said

March 2010 - July 2010 we (Merseyside, West Cheshire) where under a drought warning for some considerable time the driest it had been since 1910

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

9.3 here, looks like a lovely bright spring morning outside :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

You know with hindsight, in spite of things looking favourable in the run-up, I'm not at all surprised the weekend's shot at snow turned out to be a non-event here. And with the forecast looking about as exciting as an evening spent listening to David Soul, it's very likely that February here will end up snowless again.

Having started with considerable promise, it's turned into another disappointing February. There have been Mays with more snow than this month.

@snow? norfolk n chance, Goku/Backtrack - if you like DBZ, you need to check out the fan-based parody 'TFS Abridged' on YouTube. Brilliant stuff.

I actually meant pip21's new user name! your avatar is great as well. coffee and tv, pip21's even better, and mine of course 1st Dec 2010!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Just watched film Wild Wild West on Sunday night and it was funny. here it is cloudy with drizzle around.

speaking of mild weather. We only need an azores high to go north to get a good early spring heatwave with temps up to 23C or 24C, then I'll be sunbathing. 8)

Looks like the weather brightining up now, BRING ON AZORES HIGH!! :D :D

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Like this.

http://cdn.nwstatic..../66/h500slp.png

http://cdn.nwstatic..../ecm500.072.png

In other words. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

What a shame.. I was hoping for some light convection! Even without precip, they are great to make timelapses with! Also, I would love an Azores High!

Overcast here at the moment with quite a bit of mist around, looks like it will brighten up though!

Edited by Convective

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I am the biggest DBZ fan you'll ever meet :p

Thanks for that btw, never seen that before.

I actually meant pip21's new user name! your avatar is great as well. coffee and tv, pip21's even better, and mine of course 1st Dec 2010!

What is pip21?

12.7C here with sunshine. Took the dog in just a t-shirt earlier. :D

Posted
Posted · Hidden by pip22, February 21, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by pip22, February 21, 2012 - No reason given

me. I was pip21 but i dicided to change my username because my old name just bit of the boring side.

Posted

What is pip21?

me. I was pip21 but i dicided to change my username because my old name just bit of the boring side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Does your dog always wear a t shirt??

The rain weather warning today for the NW which has been there since saturday has mysteriously disappeared, it was still there this morning , with virtually no prep.

Tommorow looks a bit wetter though.....for now