Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North Of England - Regional Discussion

Paul

Posted

A suprise frost this morning with a min of -0.5C. Its already up to 12.9C though so theres a good chance of recording quite a big diurnal range, which is pretty rare in this area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Looks like 20C will go today here..

The record for Leeds is around 24C, so definitely no records here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

22C here this afternoon, that would be a warm day in May/June normally!

Posted

Quite a diurnal range here today, at nearly 18ºC, might be a record but I can't be bothered to check. Obviously a March record high of 20.3ºC, after a minimum of 2.4ºC. Fantastic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Another beautiful day on the cards. Maybe even warmer today. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Cleadon's March record (18.4C max on 28th March 1998) was beaten yesterday with a max of 19.2, and there's a chance of it being beaten again today, particularly if the sea breezes don't kick in (they did a bit yesterday afternoon).

GFS has consistently projected today as being the warmest day in an area extending south from Northumberland to Yorkshire.

Posted

Cleadon's March record (18.4C max on 28th March 1998) was beaten yesterday with a max of 19.2, and there's a chance of it being beaten again today, particularly if the sea breezes don't kick in (they did a bit yesterday afternoon).

GFS has consistently projected today as being the warmest day in an area extending south from Northumberland to Yorkshire.

Indeed

Rtavn1817.png

Will probably be higher then this too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Cleadon made it to 20.1C about twenty minutes ago, so we got there! The minimum was 3.4C around dawn, so a very impressive diurnal range for this near the coast.

Posted

We've broke 21C

Posted

Currenlty 21.8c.

Interesting that we regularly see lows between 1-3.c, literally two seasons in one day.

Frosty and cold by morning- wrapped up in a big coat and scarf

Hot and Sunny by afternoon- Shorts/T and sun cream

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

A max temp of 18.8C here which is the highest since March 1990.

Its still nearly a degree down on the record though. Tomorrow is looking like the last chance to break it.

Posted

Broken 22C here now, quite an achievement

Posted

Reached 22.7º here today, which I'm guessing is my March record, but I can't access my records right now, so I'd be guessing. Beautiful day!

Edit - just checked my records and yep, smashed my March record, which until today stood at 15.7º!

Record broken again today i take it?

23.4C in March. :o

http://www.greatasby.co.uk

Posted

Cleadon's max for the day was indeed 20.1ºC, it cooled off steadily during the afternoon as the sea breeze set in, though even at 6pm it still felt warm.

Tomorrow will probably be a degree or two less warm across northern England except possibly for some eastern coastal fringes where a stronger north-westerly breeze will hinder the afternoon sea breezes and perhaps cause a fohn effect locally. The warmth and sunshine looks odds-on to continue during tomorrow and Thursday though, and possibly into Friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

21.8c yesterday, the highest so far, shame the weekend looks like it's gonna be cooler and cloudy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Disagreement still between the ECM and GFS on the trough development and track very early on in run, we need to see the GFS come on board by tommorow else i fear it will be another close but no cigar again with the cold going into mainland Europe yet again, under normal circumstances i would back any 2 from 3 of the main models, partucularly when its the GFS V UKMO and ECM, however, the last year and 3 months it seems to me the tide has changed again to the naughties / late 90s scenario when we always seemed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, whether thats just a blip caused by La Nina or a pattern, only time will tell, we need a neutral / nino winter before we can be sure, which we will undoubtably have next winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Looks like GFS may be coming on board, -10 uppers just about to enter scotland.

All 3 models now suggesting heavy snow showers for NE England, isobars not tight enough to push heavy showers across the pennines so we would need some mighty cold upper atmosphere temps to get anything decent here.

A real shock to the system for some of the mild rampers on here though, snow or no snow, if it verifys of course.

The GFS 18z is an absolute stonker, i would have taken that run this january, never mind April, remains to be seen where it sits in the suite though, at least something worth logging in for again though which up untill now has not happened this March, another good call by GP as well.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

How can anyone want snow and cold at this time of year? ,I like it in the winter but this is spring and i am hoping that the models fli[p and we get another sustained warm/sunny period

Posted

How can anyone want snow and cold at this time of year? ,I like it in the winter but this is spring and i am hoping that the models fli[p and we get another sustained warm/sunny period

But snow is common in Spring you see, but this exceptional weather we have right now is not, you see? Unless it's late April onwards. And let's be honest here, from a weather enthusiasts point of view, this weather is not very exciting, is it? I get the feeling weather forums everywhere are slowly turning into the general British public forum where everyone just wants it to be sunny every single day.. not for me thanks, go to Spain if you want that.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

The "snow is for winter not spring" has traditionally been a very common stance on this forum over the years (though less so this year). It isn't without its points, as for instance it can stem from the old "will the weather make its mind up?" problem, where once we've had the first major warm sunny spell, some can't then re-adjust to a subsequent cold snap- it's similar to the way many people hate sunshine-and-showers days as it's hard to adjust for the changing conditions.

However there are many others who find that their enthusiasm for snow merely wanes a little as the season progresses rather than disappearing abruptly at the flick of a switch. There are quite a number of us who would welcome a snow event in May or even early June, just maybe not with quite the same level of excitement as at Christmas. There are also a few who would prefer it to be cold and snowy all year round. In addition many weather enthusiasts like variety and particularly revel in contrasting episodes of weather.

My stance on early next week is pretty much "if it's going to turn colder next week we may as well have some wintry showers to go with it".

Posted

Fair points. I just love changeable weather, that's all, and I'm dying for some convection of any kind, whether it be rain, snow or hail.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Fair points. I just love changeable weather, that's all, and I'm dying for some convection of any kind, whether it be rain, snow or hail.

In that case I'm personally pretty similar- my idea of an 'ideal' spring would have plenty of contrasting episodes, and also plenty of active convective stuff during the unsettled spells. From this perspective a cyclonic north-westerly would be a better bet than the sluggish north-easterly indicated for early next week (we can get some really dramatic hailstorms from those at this time of year for instance) but bar the possibility of a few wintry showers next week does look like continuing quiet.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

In that case I'm personally pretty similar- my idea of an 'ideal' spring would have plenty of contrasting episodes, and also plenty of active convective stuff during the unsettled spells. From this perspective a cyclonic north-westerly would be a better bet than the sluggish north-easterly indicated for early next week (we can get some really dramatic hailstorms from those at this time of year for instance) but bar the possibility of a few wintry showers next week does look like continuing quiet.

Its been quite strange in recent springs how convective weather has been pretty thin on the ground. Likewise for switcharounds. April especially has been pretty barren.

Im looking forward to next week's possible cold snap and in reality, the weather wont be too dissimilar in many places to this week, just around 10-12C cooler by day. If we get anything in the way of wintry precipitation thats even better, as we're at that time of the year where it can be 8C before a shower arrives before dropping to close to freezing during it. Not to mention the possibility of home-grown precipitation and thunder now the sun is stronger (though as you mention, the north-easterly shown isnt really favourable so much for that).

In the mean time we're heading for the third month in four with over 150% sunshine. More months than the previous four years put together. Not to mention with a current total of 177 hours so far, its looking likely this March will be sunnier than July and August in both 2010 and 2011.