Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North Of England - Regional Discussion

Paul

Posted

Gorgeous day in Leeds after a cold start the in is doing the magic clear blue skies around 7-8c feels warmer tho !!

Posted

Quite a chilly day with maxima just making it to 7 degrees late in the afternoon after hovering around 5 and 6 degrees for much of the day. However, it felt much milder than these temps suggested thanks to the bright skies and limited wind. Now raining.

Tomorrow looks a blustery chilly day with promise of convection and some white stuff for the fells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Much chance of anything decent passing over the IOM or will convection kick off once it hits the northwest mainland?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Recapping on this post, Sunday did see highs of 4 to 6C across many parts of the region, though you are certainly right about the last convective day during February- the 18th February had a sharp shower of sleet and wet snow here despite a starting temperature of 8.1C. Tomorrow may also see a few sharp showers get across the Pennines during the afternoon, though most of them will be over Cumbria and Lancashire.

It will certainly get warmer, but it will probably be somewhat cloudier this weekend than many of us would like, particularly in the west of the region where some light drizzle is likely. It may turn sunnier again into next week though, depending on how quickly clearer drier airmasses spread from the south.

I have observed over the years that a SE is the sunniest wind direction for Leeds when pressure is 1020mb+ and am pleased to say that the models suggest us getting such a wind direction on Monday. As such i expect a few sunny spells on Sunday but not until Monday will we see the cloud flushed away totally.

Forecast cloud cover was near 90% today, the actual result was cloudless skies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Max temperature of 5C on Sunday.. was 1.7C at midday on my station which was the low for that date

Edited by Aaron

Posted

The radar looks very interesting for over here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Heavy hail and snow here, some decent sized flakes in there. Similar conditions to what I experienced in Cumbria on Sunday afternoon.

Posted

HEAVY hail shower heading for the mainland! Starts as very, very fine drizzle, DON'T be fooled, 5-1 pence sized hail stones, total whitewash here now! Very strong squall aswell!

Edited by Convective

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Surprised to see some sleet after a short sharp squall when temps dropped from 6.8C to 3.4C and winds gusted up to 51 mph

Posted

I was taking photos out the bedroom window, then BAM, a massive gust that blew everything off the table!

Posted

Convection never really kicked into gear here today as expected. We had one or two very short lived blink and you missed it showers which had a bit of sleetiness in them - but no snow. Had we seen greater convection then those showers would have been much longer lasting and heavier and therefore more of the snow variety with a decent covering the fells.

Not sure why we didn't see much activity today - the synoptics seemed ripe for convection..

The next few days look devoid of interest - with no frosts, limited sunshine, limited precipitation, light winds and lots of dull cloudy mild weather - oh joy...

Posted

Tonight looks quite frosty though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Any chance of the skies stay clear tonight? I must see northern lights tonight! because the news said the strong solar storm is on its way to earth.

So far the skies now looks good for northern lights! I hope it stays clear all night tonight to see them. :D

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

Can guarantee tonight will be dull and cloudy. Like when meteor showers are around cloud and rain can be forecast with 99% reliability. Comets tend to beat bad weather by staying around a fare while.:)

Posted

The skies might clear tonight, or there may be some clear spells. Just wait and see I guess

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Despite forecasts of a very cloudy high, it's been cyrstal clear blue skies here for days, and it's the same now. Not a cloud in the sky!

This is wonderful! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Cleadon dodged the showers yesterday- a shame, as I fancied my chances of seeing some snow/hail during the afternoon with temperatures of around 6C and dewpoints close to zero.

Quite looking forward to next week when we should have a reasonably clear anticyclone, though it looks set to be cloudy up until Saturday.

Posted

I like how there is a cloud along the spine of England.. this has occurred so much over the past month I'm not sure why though.

Anyway looking at Sat24 there's a ton of cloud moving in soon anyway

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, ice.

After a bright sunny morning, it has clouded over, still on the cool side.

Posted

Cloudy here - I wonder if anyone will see the northern lights tonight??

Posted

Skies have cleared here more or less, so I'm hoping they stay that way. Even so, the northern lights can still be seen during partly cloudy skies, given the breaks are big enough.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Tonight's forecast is for cloudy skies although they're clearing here so who knows. I'm not expecting anything unless I fall asleep then they'll show up.

Posted

Wow it's cloud againy.. what a surprise.. we just can't get a break can we?

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Sunny again here, hopefully I'm in for a pleasant afternoon. :)