Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North Of England - Regional Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Why is it all the B's have heavy snow coming down? My partner is on his way over the Pennines from Barnsley (snowing) , then into Burnely (snowing) then Blackburn (snowing heavy) then Bolton (snowing) !!!!! Then youve got us here in Leyland, really bitter winds,no snow and currently 7 degrees! :( think will change the name to Beyland and then it might just snow!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Wall cloud just north of Penrith I think! - I'll upload a picture when i get back. It only lasted 30 seconds.

Posted

Just seen a ic lightning strike from near the M6 service station between Penrith and Carlisle :D

The shower looks like it is over Blencathra.

Posted

snowy flakes falling here, nice to see it's snow and not hail. It's melting as soon as it makes contact with the ground so it will take the mother of all showers to leave a covering here. Still didn't expect to see any more snow falling again this winter.

Posted

Its even snowing here now, though its very wet and wont ever settle as the ground is soaking from the 9.8mm of rain we've had.

Its a very different feeling day to a few hours ago, with a temperature of 1.9C and dewpoint of 1.2C.

Posted

Well its been the first very wet day here in what seems like months and months with nearly half an inch of rain and for the last few hours we have had very heavy wet snow. Temperatures are too marginal for any settling even across the Lincolnshire wolds having just driven back from Skegness. The temperature was 6 in Skegness and had fallen to 1 by the time we arrived back in Grimsby an hour later. Looking at the radar we have a few more hours of much welcomed rain too.

Posted

Well, that was an eventful journey home! Heavy snow and hail on the M6, dangerous drivers going 90mph on the A69, and a lorry trying to go the wrong way down the dual carriageway on the A69 at Hexham, though he reversed before it was too late.

Anyway, I'm back to boring old Newcastle now where the clouds are flat as a pancake as usual.

Posted

It rained here all morning folllowed by heavy sleet for a while this afternoon.It was then all snow for a while but eventully turned back to rain again lol.13mm so far and still raining.

Posted

It's finally stopped the sleeting and snowing, about an inch of sloppy wet stuff lying here, but looks like at least 4inches over the higher moors.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Here's an image I created from today when I was planespotting!

Storms4313.jpg

Posted

snowy flakes falling here, nice to see it's snow and not hail. It's melting as soon as it makes contact with the ground so it will take the mother of all showers to leave a covering here. Still didn't expect to see any more snow falling again this winter.

Hi D, You must be alot higher than me, as all we got was sleet. The kids were happy, but it just didn't last long enough! Never happy me! :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Lol.

Dry, mostly sunny day here apart from 5 mins of hail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Here's an image I created from today when I was planespotting!

Storms4313.jpg

Lovely anvil capture there :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Lovely anvil capture there :)

Cheers :D

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Very nice in Leeds today, 8C and pretty much constant sunshine.

Modeling suggest that things will only get better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

T'was a beautiful day here today as well.

Bloody chilly again now though.

Posted

Wednesday could be another day of intense hail and snow showers in the NW - unfortunately I'm back in Newcastle though myself.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, ice.

A rather pleasant sunny morning in Workington.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

4-6C?? I think temps will be much higher than that and any rainfall will be very brief across the regions before brighter skies finally move in from the west in the afternoon with temps around 10C? Sunday looks a bit more complicated but it looks brighter and dry once again, maybe a NE'ly flow developing as we go from Sunday night into Monday?

As for the bit in bold, the last convective day was just a couple of weeks ago? From a westerly airflow, managed to pick up just a few showers, one of them just heavy enough for a bit of sleet/graupel to fall!

Recapping on this post, Sunday did see highs of 4 to 6C across many parts of the region, though you are certainly right about the last convective day during February- the 18th February had a sharp shower of sleet and wet snow here despite a starting temperature of 8.1C. Tomorrow may also see a few sharp showers get across the Pennines during the afternoon, though most of them will be over Cumbria and Lancashire.

Very nice in Leeds today, 8C and pretty much constant sunshine.

Modeling suggest that things will only get better.

It will certainly get warmer, but it will probably be somewhat cloudier this weekend than many of us would like, particularly in the west of the region where some light drizzle is likely. It may turn sunnier again into next week though, depending on how quickly clearer drier airmasses spread from the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Thick fog here since five this morning. Still here now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Yeah same here Peter. Nippy too.

Posted

Lovel morning - early hard frost everything coated white. Sun quickly got to work on it though. Blue skies and hardly a cloud in the sky at present - cloud set to roll in early afternoon.

I do like these changeable conditions far more interesting than a long spell of uninteresting southwesterlies or high pressure aloft.