Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Southwest And Central Southern England - Regional Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Can't believe it's still raining. The River Frome has just gone at Dorchester, hopefully tomorrow will be better.

They've put Wareham quay on flood alert, saying it will burst later tonight.

Edited by Mapantz

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

I can't believe another area of heavy rain has formed this evening and moved into virtually the same circle of area that had the most

yesterday/overnight/this morning. It was light over the sea but intensified as soon as it hit land.

Well over half an inch in the last 4 hours over parts of Dorset/Somerset and it's going nowhere fast.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Yep! I'm right in the middle of it! Seriously fed up now as it will probably mean that the roads out of the village will be flooded again tomorrow having cleared up a bit this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Final update from me- having just got home from work.

Well in some aspects Plymouth got lucky- there was bad road flooding in Forder Valley, St Budeaux, Plympton, Plymstock and Devonport. But the rivers off Dartmoor to the villages around have lead to more problems than in Plymouth. From what I can gather....

A379- flooding near Yealmpton near Yeo Bridge at Dunstone.

A379- bad flooding in Modbury

A379- flooding in Aveton Gifford

Bridge down at Puslynch -between Kitley and Cottaton Cross (off the A379 just outside Yealmpton)

Flooding at Bridgend between Newton Ferrers and Noss Mayo

Puslynch is the most shocking. My Mum was brought up in Newton and Noss between the 1940's and 1970's. Puslynch has always survived floods before, but in Mum's words, houses at Bridgend flooded on a yearly basis in the 1950's and 1960's. But high tide at Bridgend was at 0915 Sat Morning hence the possible flooding.

What a couple of days....

Posted

At least it's not raining this morning! Total from 09.00GMT yesterday.....40mm, makes total over last 48 hours....81mm. Roads passable, but very messy.

Posted

Having a look at the environmental ageny flood site it seems that we are either in a record or pretty near event for the stour.

The upstream sites have shown levels in some cases that have never before been seen, furer downstream it looks like its hit hamoon but not yet stur or blandford with Christchurch maybe tonight tomoorrow morning.

Just to give people a feel the river stour at hamoon should be Around 50-70cms it currently 324 cm which is only 7cm off the highest level reached since at least the last 50 years and it's still rising.

In parts of gillingham It's breached levels never before recorded and is so high the recording equip can nolonger work.

I once in 40-50 year event isn't going to be good news for wimborne or Christchurch, expect bbc reporters down there on Monday morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Having a look at the environmental ageny flood site it seems that we are either in a record or pretty near event for the stour.

The upstream sites have shown levels in some cases that have never before been seen, furer downstream it looks like its hit hamoon but not yet stur or blandford with Christchurch maybe tonight tomoorrow morning.

Just to give people a feel the river stour at hamoon should be Around 50-70cms it currently 324 cm which is only 7cm off the highest level reached since at least the last 50 years and it's still rising.

In parts of gillingham It's breached levels never before recorded and is so high the recording equip can nolonger work.

I once in 40-50 year event isn't going to be good news for wimborne or Christchurch, expect bbc reporters down there on Monday morning

Wow hadn't heard that about Christchurch ad the stour! Will be keeping a close eye on this story.

Posted

Thanks.

Environment agency has updated (in the last 30 mins ) to say that a flood warning has now been put in place all the way down to christchurch. see map below.

Blandford is starting to get a rapid rise in water level (up 10cm in the last 30 mins).

The flood warning has also been updated to say that it's going to worse than the April flooding, but they don't know yet how much worse.

post-6326-0-08444600-1341737945_thumb.pn

Posted

Another 10-15cm rise in the last 15 mins for blandford as the environment agency is now taking 15min readings....

Current 1.98cm with the highest ever recorded being 2.27cm

Blandford flood defences have kicked in to prevent the flooding that occured in 1979 at 2m. However they are built upto 2.40.2.50cm anything above this and the defences then become a problem as they funnel the water in and prevent it from leaving quite so readily.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Emptied another 40mm out of the rain gauge this morning and it was tipped over so I suspect it was even higher so at least 90mm in 36 hours. Still a lot of disruption locally due to flooded roads.

Posted

Just been down to the Yeo to the SW of Sherborne. HIghest that I've seen it there since October 2000. The bottom of the tyre in the photo was well over a metre above the water level earlier in the week. My spies tell me that it was completely below the surface yesterday. The second photo is a very small tributary which normally only has enough water to cover the bed, now it is only just going under the bridge, so must be about 2 metres deep. Final pic is the footpath! First time this has flooded this badly since 2000.

post-8165-0-98961900-1341740590_thumb.jp

post-8165-0-86257900-1341740615_thumb.jp

post-8165-0-78489900-1341740635_thumb.jp

Posted

Another 10-15cm rise in the last 15 mins for blandford as the environment agency is now taking 15min readings....

Current 1.98cm with the highest ever recorded being 2.27cm

Blandford flood defences have kicked in to prevent the flooding that occured in 1979 at 2m. However they are built upto 2.40.2.50cm anything above this and the defences then become a problem as they funnel the water in and prevent it from leaving quite so readily.

now 2.09cm so another 11cm in 30 mins, easily the highest for a good few years, and will be very close i would have thought to the highest ever recorded their as well.

Reports of trains cancelled in gillingham as the stour has burst it's banks and flood defences their further upstream.

Posted

now 2.09cm so another 11cm in 30 mins, easily the highest for a good few years, and will be very close i would have thought to the highest ever recorded their as well.

Reports of trains cancelled in gillingham as the stour has burst it's banks and flood defences their further upstream.

now 2.18cm but still rising. So we can say it's the worst for 7 years already.

Just went for a quick trip with the dog and can confirm that 2 roads are closed within 1 mile of the house. One by a mudslide which has brought down some very large trees over the road, the second by flood. The smaller roads resemble dried river beds, with debris and stones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Some good photos on the wessex fm website, especially Burton Bradstock.

Posted

Wow! That really is serious flooding. Know several of those sites, frequently go past that garage at BB, also Maiden Newton.

Seems that the A37 is still flooded at Stratton and a couple of other places too. Hope that it's all over now.

Posted

After a lovely sunny day yesterday waiting for the showers to set in again today. And then for the regular feature of a friday low to come!!

Posted

I live in Statton and most of the flooding on the roads have gone. However expect long traffic delays as there are traffic lights keeping people on one side of the A37. As you would expect considerable delays.

Posted

It's just occured to me that the Olympic Torch relay is due in Dorset later this week. They are going to need to do some serious cleaning up before that, especially along the A35 and the coast road from Bridport to Weymouth.

I see that 'our' railway line (Yeovil Pen Mill to Weymouth) is open again now, not so on the SW Trains from Yeovil Junction to Exeter....landslip at Axminster.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It's just occured to me that the Olympic Torch relay is due in Dorset later this week. They are going to need to do some serious cleaning up before that, especially along the A35 and the coast road from Bridport to Weymouth.

I see that 'our' railway line (Yeovil Pen Mill to Weymouth) is open again now, not so on the SW Trains from Yeovil Junction to Exeter....landslip at Axminster.

More torrential rain to come over the next few hours too, perhaps a thunderstorm risk as well. And finally, more general heavy rain on Thursday and Friday.

Posted

Park home site at iford ring evacuated at the moment due to high risk of flooding this evening on the stour. Hope it is just precaution and doesn't happen.

Posted

Morning all. Overnight the river levels Of the stour at iford bridge hit there highest ever levels of 2.43m. It seems to be rescinding slightly now. Waiting to see if any flood damage to homes in the area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I believe serious flooding at Yetminster closed the railway line.