Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest And Central Southern England - Regional Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Wow that seems a lot for yesterday, I measured only 18mm in Poole.

Apart from a brief interlude around 2pm, it starting raining and kept raining until about 9pm. It was even torrential for some time around 4pm.

The netweather rainfall radar's accumulative map actually showed the total to be 10mm higher than it was, so it was definitely a lot.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

The Asda end of Frome flooded again, lots of pics including a chap jet ski-ing. No doubt they'll be lots of grumpy folk around again; perhaps Asda and the planners should have listened to the locals when they said it's daft to build on a flood plain....

http://www.fromepeople.co.uk/home

Posted

Big contrast today, sunny, though cloudier this afternoon, with a high of 18C good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

nice one DB, think im a little too far north to get a slice of the action this evening!

Good to get lighting at night as well!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Looking good in Dorset :) send some this way lol.

Although i dont know what the monthly total for Paignton is, Brixham has recorded just over 200mm of rain this month! Only the second time i've seen a monthly total that high, its the total amount of rainfall we'd expect here for the entire spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

The cells over North west France look as though they are going to drift towards Devon/Cornwall. Could be interesting when that lot hits land.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

need some of that to come to southampton!!!! :D!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

from frome yesterday

near asda

post-8439-0-79699400-1335819411_thumb.jp

post-8439-0-47935200-1335819434_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Not looking good for relief for the flooded areas of our region!

Latest NAE has further large rainfall totals around the M4 Corridor, into the Bristol and West Country areas!

post-12721-0-00638800-1335822168_thumb.gpost-12721-0-96027400-1335822173_thumb.g

post-12721-0-19871000-1335822182_thumb.g

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Yes, Dorsetbred, that brightly coloured area has just passed over us on the Dorset/Somerset border. No thunder though.

My rainfall total to 10.00BST today was 162.5mm, so I need more than 38mm before 10.00 tomorrow morning to break the April record total of 200.5 in 2000. I'll get back to you tomorrow!

I guess that I shall be stuck in the village all day, I only hope that Her Majesty has her colour coordinated umbrella and wellies ready for her visit to Sherborne tomorrow, I suspect she might need them!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Blimey, it's torrential out there! Really humid earlier as well. Yesterday was mad in Wells, our estate was hit quite badly, it almost looked like a mini tornado had hit as there was a definite line of destruction, brick walls down, garden fences down, andcteo massive trees came down, one blocked a cul de sac and the other landed on a car! It was all in a line as well. My husband thinks I'm mad for saying tornado, but that's what crossed my mind when I saw it.

Anyway, back to tonight and it's looking rather bleak for those hit badly by flooding yesterday. Let's see what tomorrow brings. Liking the look of the radar!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

It's odd to think that April's rainfall total far surpasses January, February and March combined!!

Posted

Same here, SS. Jan-Mar total: 110mm, final total for April: 180.5. That makes it the second wettest April sine I started my records here after 2000 when the total for April was 200.5.

Posted

11mm yesterday, with 5.8mm falling after midnight, turned out to be nothing special here to be fair.

April total finished at 164mm here.

Posted

Yes didn't get much here last night/early today either (9 mm) & no thunder.

Today after a cloudy start it has been clear blue sky & sunshine since late morning & 17C, lovely!

Posted

Miserable morning here with moderately heavy persistent rain and feeling rather cool! Did brighten up this afternoon with some much missed pleasent sunshine! Next few days dont look too bad here, nothing hot or amazing, but drier and warmer than of recently, with the only main rain being Wednesday night into Thursday.

Bank holiday weekend looking cold and wet though, especially Sunday and Monday! I wont be going down to the coast for this one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

A funnel cloud just popped up outside my house. A heavy burst of hail knocked my window and wind picked up in a flash. It only lasted about 15 seconds before moving away. It's the first time i've witnessed something like that and glad it was on a smaller scale.

Posted

Wow, sounds amazing Delta Sun. I await my lucky day when I can experience something like that!

Just had heavy slow moving showers here today. This week is going to be nervy for our river levels again, a lot of rain in the coming few days forecast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

A few reports about this 'twister' in Kidlington too.

WDW Kate †@Wetdarkandwild@IwasntInvited @Conojito North of Oxford in Kidlington.A couple of streets had damage with trees down etc. Minor but scary & very unusual

Andrew Foulsham †@andyfoulshamCan't believe we drove through a near twister on A34 nr Kidlingtonaround 4.50pm. Comments, @weatheroxford ?

TORRO TORNADO WATCH 2012/002

A TORRO TORNADO WATCH has been issued at 1445GMT on Monday 7th May 2012

Valid from/until: 14:45- 21:00GMT on Monday 7th May 2012 for the following regions

Parts of (see map)

SW England

SE Wales

Midlands

E England

THREATS

Tornadoes; wind gusts to 60mph; hail 10-15mm diamter; CG lightning; torrential rain

DISCUSSION

Cold front moving in from the west is being held up by a developing frontal wave as an upper trough moves in. Sunshine ahead of this has allowed scattered thunderstorms to develop in a region of favourable vertical wind shear for organised thunderstorms, with low-level veering profiles suggestive of low-level rotation and possible tornadoes.

Further convection is approaching SW England and may contain strong wind gusts although a more veered surface flow here suggests a somewhat lower tornado threat. Convection may continue overnight as the cold front drifts eastwards with strong shear suggesting a mainly straight-line wind threat. A further forecast may be required later.

Forecaster: RPK.

myimg.gif

Edited by Delta Sun

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Absolutely torrential rain falling in Wellington.No thunder at the moment .

Posted

The models over did the precip side of things for the south, with out a doubt. I actually had more yesterday from drizzle and light rain than i did over night. 20 to 30mm? How about 8mm?

Posted

I think it was a total for the whole period from the LOW pressure, well that was what I gathered from the BBC Points West forecast

yesterday evening - and he did stress that the highest totals would be on higher ground.

The totals mentioned were 16mm-40mm, we had 12.5mm overnight and a further 10mm has fallen in the last 2 hours so within that

predicted range.

Maybe you had less nearer the South coast?