Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

its the heat of london (always warmer no matter what time of day) clouds just get energy from the city, especially if they are slow moving which is what happened today, also got moisture from the thames itself, so another added bonus.. can confirm saw lightning light up the top of cb,, but is a very isolated small shower tho, so dont know if this will develope further.

Nocturnal cloud top cooling? Although perhaps a bit too early in the year for that, but never say never. ATD has lightning, albeit west of the actual cell but it's reasonably correct.

It's very interesting to note that it's absolutely bucketing it down, with not much on radar or the airport metars... does seem to have formed/albeit very slow moving over London. I guess all of what you have said is the likely cause, but there was a flash over my area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Know how you feel, seeing all those cells around you and being trapped at work. Just horrible.

Concerning the foreseeable, must say, I'm not liking the overall synoptic outlook in the medium-range. Upper troughing and ridging all in the wrong places for the ideal storm setup. The setup over the past few days was the type that dominated summer in 2010, and that was a crap year for storms (for here anyway).

Summer 2010 was crap for storms here too, infact its one of the worst years I can remember. 2006 still goes down as my best year, followed by 2005. The type of set up on those years was better in every way because not only were the storms stronger, but they were predominantly in the evening hours so work didn't get in the way. I still await the first plume of 2012 with anticipation :)

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Nothing on the go in Cardiff today unfortunately. Had some clouds build up around lunchtime which looked like they may have done something, but seemingly didn't. Very dark, and some rain around 6.30pm, but no thunder. Fair bit of scud underneath some of the clouds though, which was rather lovely.

Posted

ESTOFEX have the SW in their map today:

post-6667-0-62301600-1334393106.png

But the concentration of their forecast is for Southern Europe.

21st OWS have a similar patch but it mostly looks to be in France and beyond today:

21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_12041418.GIF

21OWS_AFWA-GEPS-PRODUCTS_MODEL-DATA_ENSEMBLE_PROB-OF-LTG-STRIKE_ENSEMBLE_24_12Z.png

18_20.gif

18_48.gif

hir_icape_eur18.png

Some convergence in the SW according to the HiRLAM chart:

hir_layer_eur18.png

hir_lfc_eur18.png

hir_spout_eur18.png

hir_lapse2_eur18.png

post-6667-0-62301600-1334393106_thumb.pn

Posted

Interesting forecast from the Met Office for the SW today :

Some places starting fine but many cloudy, with showers developing in the morning. These will become heavy and widespread by afternoon, with hail and thunder likely, easing later but lasting into the evening. Maximum Temperature 11 °C

Personally I would happily take this set up we've been having and may have again next week if it means days of scattered heavy showers and thunderstorms with hail (as long as I get some thunder this time!) I don't think it's too bad with slack low pressure across us.

Then when it warms up a bit towards and into the summer months, let the Spanish plume and warm thundery set-up's take over to give us some strong storms and night time light shows. That could make quite a good year thunder-wise across the UK. (now if only that would happen)

It's a lot more hazy down here than recent days though and there is also some high cloud, and low cloud in places and what may be a few cumulus clouds. Doesn't look all that convective out the window today and limited sunlight is getting through.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

WATER SPOUT !! Bray Co. WIcklow ! ( Just 20 mins from Dublin city )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dU7rW2kv7U

Cannot believe i missed this !! , i only live 20 mins drive from there!!!!

Please folks , help me comment and explain it was a WATER SPOUT and not a tornado!

Edited by DubWeatherAddict

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Started a new thread folks .Good luck South Westerners for today I may even get something.laugh.png