Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Once again to the South West of London... that area seems to have juice!!

2ahedty.png

Slightly fresher here now, with a small CB passing overhead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Sun's back out now after that shower, hoping for more as insolation gets going.

Anyone know which way the showers are heading BTW?

There it goes! Bang! Showers popping up all over the place!! I think todays showers are going to last longer into the night like the MET have predicted..

Sun's back out now after that shower, hoping for more as insolation gets going.

Anyone know which way the showers are heading BTW?

Looks like all directions lol!! Bit messy :S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Once again to the South West of London... that area seems to have juice!!

2ahedty.png

Slightly fresher here now, with a small CB passing overhead.

Ahhh that's what it is!! Just had a HUUUUUUGGGEEEE peel of thunder in C London....completely unexpected and made me jump (windows open again :yahoo:)

FOUR DAYS ON THE SPIN NOW!!!! WHOOOOOOP!!!

Posted

cracking (pardon the pun) bit of lightning and roll of thunder here in London (Southbank) good.gif

Posted

Big flash and thunder over central London. Where did that come from?

From the CB that was over London..... ahah!! That's 4 days of Thunderstorms for me, now left trouser leging itself towards the SOUTH!!

AND AGAIN! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

I don't believe it, That's 5 Thunderstorm cells in 4 days!!! LOOOL

Posted

There it goes again. Not close enough to window to really appreciate it so no idea what sky is looking like. Lovely sound though. Rounding off the final hour of the working week nicely

Posted

Hmm.. since earlier on when there were some electrified cells, they have kind of died down and spread out a bit across the SW and became less intense, despite the GFS showing the highest of the limited CAPE being later this afternoon/early this evening.

I was thinking doing a local 'chase' because I liked the idea of nearly stationary thunderstorms, but I don't think it's worth it now.

There's even cells with sefrics in the east now, that always seems to happen when we are meant to have more CAPE here, and cells on the radar often seem to be more easily electrified over that side of the country too.. The one in London shows up far weaker than anything that ever gets electrified down here!

4 days in a row, bah! I want a thunderstorm cray.gif Don't think I can remember ever having 2 thunder days in a row..

(Sorry, little rant in that post there)

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

AND AGAIN!!! OMG!!!!!

Ahhh that's what it is!! Just had a HUUUUUUGGGEEEE peel of thunder in C London....completely unexpected and made me jump (windows open again yahoo.gif)

FOUR DAYS ON THE SPIN NOW!!!! WHOOOOOOP!!!

Harry are you hearing this one that's south of me?? It's very very active!! Just very dry = no rainfall!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Thunder and moderate rain here.

Edited by Higrade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

AND AGAIN!!! OMG!!!!!

Harry are you hearing this one that's south of me?? It's very very active!! Just very dry = no rainfall!

I know it's awesome! I actually those last few flashes...thunder is great too, great deep growling sound with the thump that pierces you whole body....awesome!!!!!

See, do not listen to the doubters who rubbish our chances :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Hmm.. since earlier on when there were some electrified cells, they have kind of died down and spread out a bit across the SW and became less intense, despite the GFS showing the highest of the limited CAPE being later this afternoon/early this evening.

I was thinking doing a local 'chase' because I liked the idea of nearly stationary thunderstorms, but I don't think it's worth it now.

There's even cells with sefrics in the east now, that always seems to happen when we are meant to have more CAPE here, and cells on the radar often seem to be more easily electrified over that side of the country too.. The one in London shows up far weaker than anything that ever gets electrified down here!

4 days in a row, bah! I want a thunderstorm cray.gif Don't think I can remember ever having 2 thunder days in a row..

(Sorry, little rant in that post there)

I feel your pain. There has been no weather to talk about here for the past 5 days, but at least it has been pleasant with interesting cloudscapes. I wish I still had a camera that wasn't on a phone!

Being next to the mountains must inhibit convection potential here, or something, need a southerly plume, please.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Theres 2 cells here in SE London 1 right over me dropping huge raindrops with a bolt of lightning now and then, and 1 just south of me active with thunder as well.. and looks like there linking up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Yep, can confirm the lightning over London, that was a nice suprise! Thought the action was south of here!

Posted

Theres 2 cells here in SE London 1 right over me dropping huge raindrops with a bolt of lightning now and then, and 1 just south of me active with thunder as well.. and looks like there linking up

I know it's awesome! I actually those last few flashes...thunder is great too, great deep growling sound with the thump that pierces you whole body....awesome!!!!!

See, do not listen to the doubters who rubbish our chances yahoo.gif

Haha, Another example of why I've counted that as two different thunderstorms..... Which brings my total for the last 4 days to 5 Thunderstorms, 1 more and it's beaten 2009 hands down, and it's only 1617 local... more to come I hope lol!!!

Harry being honest, I didn't expect that though.... but lool!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

You lot in London really have been lucky. Well done. But next time here will see storm after storm... :lol:

Posted

I feel your pain. There has been no weather to talk about here for the past 5 days, but at least it has been pleasant with interesting cloudscapes. I wish I still had a camera that wasn't on a phone!

Being next to the mountains must inhibit convection potential here, or something, need a southerly plume, please.

True that is the one benefit about the spell that we've had here too. We did have a brief heavy hail shower on the 1st day of the spell, which I thought was a good start, but since then nothing (some very heavy showers nearby yesterday, I happend to drive through a heavyish one with a bit of hail)

We don't even get storms on a southerly plume here unless they survive the channel (i.e high based). Though I can remember some crackers from that set up pre-2007. Edit: actually the only decent one here last year was in a sort of plume set up on may the 6th.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

I need to seriously move house to London or Southampton it would seem!

the only reason why there generating here is due to london heating.. its just explodes the showers.. and will say that time and time again.. anyway these are growing and def linking up.. also getting very dark spiteful.gif

Posted

We've had one hail shower on Wednesday afternoon here, and a few long showers, but other than that, nothing.

Theres been lighting strikes 10 miles up the road, but again, nothing here. :(

Posted

the only reason why there generating here is due to london heating.. its just explodes the showers.. and will say that time and time again.. anyway these are growing and def linking up.. also getting very dark spiteful.gif

You also have to remember London is at the bottom of a valley and so you have orographic lifting and is situated quite a bit by hills. But today was quite unexpected until I saw the flash!!!