Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The North Of England Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

for once my little corner of Tyneside may not remain completely convection-free. Next week continues grey and wet, maybe brighter/showery next weekend but that's a long way off.

Especially next Wednesday. The GFS has been toying back and forth with fairly decent CAPE values for our region and today's 06z keeps the idea alive with CAPE around 500-1000 J/Kg and lifted index -2/-4 along the eastern side of the UK.

post-5386-0-97390400-1338720604_thumb.pn

Friday looking good for storm potential too but a long way off just yet for accuracy, one to keep an eye on..

post-5386-0-20216900-1338720423_thumb.pn

Edited by NL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

God what shocking weather today! (shocking for getting out and about in I mean)... 9c and still raining- 18mm so far since 6pm yesterday. Interesting(ish)ly, this is the second time this year we've had a hot spell followed within 5 days by a near 20c drop in max temps! Of course the other one in March/April went from the mid 20's to a morning snowstorm in about 4 days I think it was! Well, its not boring I suppose, just badly timed with our postponed bank holiday... couldn't make it up could you!?

bb

Posted

As expected, an utterly foul day which wouldn't be too out of place in November. Barely scraping double figures here.

When was the last time we had such a cold June day? I guess it was too much to hope for the weather to return to NORMAL conditions following the warm spell. Things just have to swing in the opposite direction, like some sort of punishment for getting nice weather previously. rolleyes.gif

Posted

Heating on have i slept for a few months without knowing like the Above posted said it's like November.

Posted

Heating on have i slept for a few months without knowing like the Above posted said it's like November.

Just 6c around the Leeds area at the moment!

Xc weather temps

Some areas not even that high.

Station : A644 Queensbury

Organisation : Bradford MBC

Time : 03.06.2012 18:00 Europe/London

Air Temperature (1) 5.0 °C

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

Haven't checked the radar, but I suspect we are just to the north of the precipitation band. It has remained dry all day, but it feels cold, with a chilly N wind, maxes of 10 degrees, had the rainband made it this far north temps would be worse probably stuck at 7 or 8 degrees thanks to added evaporative cooling courtesy of the high ground in these parts.

Have to say Bowness on Windermere looked a sorry state with lots of holidaymakers wrapped up in scarves and hats and no-one sitting outside - what a contrast to last weekend when we had temps of 26 and 27 degrees.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Hate it when the weathers like this! especially in June, i dont mind temps of just 15c but this is just horrible.bad.gif

Posted

It still hasn't stopped raining since midnight, but only 18mm of rain since then as a lot of it has been on the light side.

Looking at the radar it should clear in an hour or so though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

29.3 mm here up to 1800 g.m.t and it's continued raining since then. Unusually cold for the time of year too, the current temp' is 4.7c and the max' today was 7.3c. If it doesn't get higher than that by tomorrow morning it will have just edged the coldest June day on record by 0.1c over the 6th in 1985.

Posted

Unexpected heavy shower here at the moment,looks like a "convective showers off the north sea" type

set-up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

max was 9C at 12am, now 6C, hoping for a slight frost tonight? GFS certainly thinks so with temperatures widely down to 3C and below in the North.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Unexpected heavy shower here at the moment,looks like a "convective showers off the north sea" type

set-up.

It is indeed- I can see the showers on the radar. It''s fairly unusual at this time of year, and suggests that the airmass is sufficiently cool, combined with lack of solar heating now that the sun has gone down, to cause instability over the North Sea.

Posted

There was a maximum temperature of 10.4C here today, which is the coldest since 1998. However that was at midnight, during daylight hours the temperature didnt surpass 9.7C.

It a shame its impossible to set weatherlink to do 0900-0900, as theres a good chance of a single digit maxima, something that hasnt ever occured here in June in at least 32 years.

Posted

With sunshine this morning the lowest June maximum temperature remains intact for another day.

The 24 hr max' yesterday was 8.8c, equalling the value of June 26th 1997.The last time there as a lower 24 hr max' in June was the 2nd in 1991 when the max' was 8.6c.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It seems we are averaging out the coldest in Europe at the moment by a hefty margin.. although western Netherlands are pretty cool, along with Belgium. Yesterday 'm struggling to remember a day like it in June.

It seems there is more of this cold, wet type weather to come too?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Stockholm did not exceed 6 degrees on the 1st I believe.. a below average winter day in London.

Posted

I seem to be on the extreme western edge of the shower activity today. Some quite heavy showers 15-20 miles or so to the east and one or two very light ones to the north, heading this way but declining in strength.

I live in hope!

Posted

A balmy 12c here already today,and hopefully can miss most of the rain as well.

The rest of the week looking less dry!

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l

A cracker today ... 11.5'C.

Thankfully the rain held off a touch although showers enrolled themselves in the early afternoon.

The rest of the week looks daunting

Posted

A horrible afternoon of almost unrelenting heavy rain, with only the odd ray of sunshine this evening. And joy of joys, tomorrow is going to be a washout too.

I hope so badly that this awful 2007-style rubbish doesn't go on for much longer. I'm fed up already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

very pleasant afternoon in Co Durham...temps almost topped 20C but felt very warm in the sun (so long as you dodged the showers!)

Posted

Light rain for most of the morning, occasional dry spells, now the radar is showing 'deluge' for the next 3-5hrs (more if it stalls over the southern pennines!). Memories of that 7-8 day dry/hot spell fast diminishing. We're sure getting some payback for it now.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Yes the rain so far hasn't even clicked the gauge 0.2mm, but what's approaching from the south looks quite significant, and being associated with an LP overhead is not necessarily going to move through very quickly.

Posted

6.5mm of rain so far, so could see around 10mm by the time it moves north in the next few hours.