Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The North Of England Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted

There's some very heavy showers on radar just north of York right now.

Seem to be heading more or less NW.

Has been 11.6mm here and still showery on and off

Posted

11.4mm of rain today, but most of the showers in the last few hours are just missing my area to the west.

Posted

18mm of rain here, a cold wet day!

Posted

Although it's staying dry along the coastal strip, I can see what looks like a funnel cloud out towards Gateshead- anyone able to confirm?

I was at the International Stadium on Sunday afternoon, and didn't see anything. There was some low dark stuff over towards Newburn and Gosforth, and a few squalls over towards Washington, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, so to speak.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Unsurprisingly sunshine totals for April have fallen somewhat below average for N (especially NE) England, with rainfall above normal:

http://www.climate-uk.com/page2.html

A combination of some active frontal systems, and a lack of sunshine in the showery interludes in between, are consistent with this result. Sunshine amounts for Britain as a whole were near or slightly above average around the 15th-20th April but have now fallen below.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Not surprising, this weather is starting to take a toll on my mood. Never thought I'd develop symptoms similar to SAD going into May, but it seems to be happening. My body is actually acting like it is winter; eating more, sleeping more etc. The days are generally very dull; more on a part with say January, then April.

Posted

I've been okay so far with this unsettled April, but I'm officially fed up now. The sunshine and showers setup has given way to constant and persistent heavy frontal rain with sunshine very much at a premium. The grass previously had a chance to dry off in-between showers; now everything's turned to mud.

I had a dry February and March, but I definitely don't need any more rain right now. I wish it would all just stay south and east where they actually need it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Well looking at the forecast; tomorrow, Saturday, Sunday (maybe Monday) Mid week and late next week could all feature consecutive days of heavy rain. It's unusual to have widespread surface flooding in Merseyside due to its varied relative topography, but I'm starting to think it could happen

Posted

Well looking at the forecast; tomorrow, Saturday, Sunday (maybe Monday) Mid week and late next week could all feature consecutive days of heavy rain. It's unusual to have widespread surface flooding in Merseyside due to its varied relative topography, but I'm starting to think it could happen

19-20th July 2010 saw some significant flash flooding in different parts of Liverpool thanks to constant torrential downpours. Before then the worst I can remember was 4-5th September 1995.

There was flash flooding in West Derby following the thunderstorm of 11th May 2008 (my birthday) but I'm not sure how widespread it was. Childwall definitely got flooded that day too.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

The heavy rain just keeps on going here, and another half an inch today.A lot of flooding around this area and it's now upto 114mm for the month, with more rain likely through the rest of the evening and night.

Edited by sunny scunny

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Still stuck here as all that rain to south and west stalls a bit.. I hope we break 100mm, it'll be frustrating if we don't after coming so close

Posted

Still stuck here as all that rain to south and west stalls a bit.. I hope we break 100mm, it'll be frustrating if we don't after coming so close

Whats your postcode?

It's finally stopped raining, for now at least.

Edited by sunny scunny

Posted

Another wet miserable day in the Greater Manchester area, and probably quite a lot of the north west too. Radar's been pretty unforgiving with frequent heavier spells of rain. Suppos it's payback for that nice spell in March, but I hope next week's Bank Holiday weekend offers a glimmer of hope?

Posted

Not surprising, this weather is starting to take a toll on my mood. Never thought I'd develop symptoms similar to SAD going into May, but it seems to be happening. My body is actually acting like it is winter; eating more, sleeping more etc. The days are generally very dull; more on a part with say January, then April.

It's truly depressing isn't it.

Even more worrying if like me you have great mob of cattle almost finished their winter feed and fields in an impossibly wet state to let them out.

It's just a matter of somehow getting through one more day at a time -and hope against hope the ridiculous cold and wet ends as suddenly as it started on 3rd April.

Posted

Whats your postcode?

It's finally stopped raining, for now at least.

LS15 0Ab, it's begun raining moderately now though and we're on 98.2mm

Only in recent days has it started to feel truly bleak here though, during the showery regime earlier (when we missed them all), it was actually quite pleasant, with sunny spells occasionally. As the stats show only recently has sunshine gone below average and only slightly. Want a truly bleak month? February 2011 for ya.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Tomorrow on the NAE model suggests that we could see a maximum of 7C tomorrow here - yes 7C! No matter how you dress it up, that's nowhere near normal in April help.gif

Posted

Unsurprisingly sunshine totals for April have fallen somewhat below average for N (especially NE) England, with rainfall above normal:

http://www.climate-uk.com/page2.html

A combination of some active frontal systems, and a lack of sunshine in the showery interludes in between, are consistent with this result. Sunshine amounts for Britain as a whole were near or slightly above average around the 15th-20th April but have now fallen below.

An interesting link there.

NE england 1.4c below average and 212% rainfall for this month so far,and that's without today's offering of rain.

Eastern Scotland much the same.

Tomorrow on the NAE model suggests that we could see a maximum of 7C tomorrow here - yes 7C! No matter how you dress it up, that's nowhere near normal in April help.gif

It's normal for this April!

Posted

Good point! rofl.gif

Posted

LS15 0Ab, it's begun raining moderately now though and we're on 98.2mm

Only in recent days has it started to feel truly bleak here though, during the showery regime earlier (when we missed them all), it was actually quite pleasant, with sunny spells occasionally. As the stats show only recently has sunshine gone below average and only slightly. Want a truly bleak month? February 2011 for ya.

I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with a higher rainfall total than me for the month looking at the radar.It should last for much of the night in your location but more hit and miss for me by the looks of things.

Posted

We broke 100mm here, plenty of rain to come according to radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

It's been dry here for about an hour now bar a little drizzle in the air.

I have to say I'm not one to be affected by the weather mood-wise, I know I'll experience snow in winter again, a scorching summer again and everything else in between.

I know we (as a country) need rain and lots of it so for the time being I'm happy to see wet and unsettled weather rearing its head time and again.

Cool, cold, wet and windy, give it to me!

Posted

Cool, cold, wet and windy, give it to me!

I agree. good.gif

Though I would appreciate a dry, sunny day to get my lawn cut. help.gif

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Certainly has been a preety dull miserable April here and consistently chilly with not one sunny warm dry day. Indeed I haven't left the house all month without taking my winter wet coat. In March there was a run of days when I left the house with no jacket and a number when the windows were left open during the day - not once so far this month. I think because of the exceptional March, this month has felt much worse than had it come on the back of a cold wet March.

Unusually this week so far has seen little heavy rain in the Lake District - we seem to have been the far NW of any rain bands and also sheltered from any developing showers to the east - the west Pennines has been a shield. Today we were meant to see constant rain, but we only managed a few shortlived bursts of showery stuff. Tomorrow should be a dry cool day hopefully with some sunshine. Saturday isn't looking too bad but could be dissapointingly cloudy and therefore another chilly one. Sunday is questionable at this range, the front may never make this far, but we could easily end up with a very wet windy day as the front stalls in situ and therefore a preety cold one for the time of year.

Have we had a dry day this month? - mm don't think so. It has certainly felt more akin to March in terms of temps and akin to October in terms of wet dull days often with a November feel.

Posted

My area is stuck on 115.1mm, with the rain to my west constantly weakening now.Could manage 120mm by the morning but time will tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

The sun has been trying to come out every so often here, if only the cloud would just move a little further south we would have a nice day! lol. at least it isn't raining though.