Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012 part 3

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Nice towering Cb's to my NW over D&G drifting ever so slowly in this direction. Currently under clear skies with dazzling sunshine.... So close yet so far with these showers, sure I heard thunder about 5 mins ago.

Posted

Nice big dry area over me today, just like during last weeks action doh.gif

And I'm down-wind of you today. Damn it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Actually when Labour goverments are power we do seem to get nearly as many storms as the south east up here, it really does seem like thatblum.gif

Bloody tories

They tax everything else - why not thunderstorms!!!!!

You dare mention politics in the Convective discussion??......Go and wash your mouths with soap and promise humbly never to do it again! laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

And I'm down-wind of you today. Damn it.

Why, has he broke wind ?.....lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,heavy rain,hot summer days,snowy winters.

Another heavy hailstorm here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, stormy summers and snowy winters please.

You dare mention politics in the Convective discussion??......Go and wash your mouths with soap and promise humbly never to do it again! laugh.png

Just had a nice munch on a bar of coal tar soap!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Okay, those showers died as I thought.. that happens a lot.. they build then just collapse.. not sure why!!

Posted

Knew I shouldn't have been optimistic... What a mess on radar and visually.

Poor, poor, poor setup. Just poor.

Re. above post, there's no shear, Aaron, and instability is relatively low. They go up, they come down twice as fast.

Totally agree, and with your earlier post, whilst all these anvils are nice & pretty and all that, without any shear & decent WAA then there's little in the way of pyrotechnics .....Now come classic spanish plume scenario we're talking business, with energy measuring in the 4 digits j/kg & boyancy the same as my IQ (-6 so the missus tells me..lol) WWA, lovely warm stagnant air in place plus the final ingredient in an advancing cold front, you get enough pyrotechnics to start world war 3, high cloud bases to watch the firework show & enough shear to form multi-cells & MCS...Yep I'd take that over 'april showers' any day of the week...It's just a shame we rarely seem to get them these days! doh.gif

Posted

I don't know about other people, but I'd call a poor, poor, poor, set up one with low cloud/stratocumulus lapping over the UK around the edge of a high pressure. I can count 5 thunderstorms currently in the country and a few other showers with the odd strike. Never was going to be anything drastically more. Even in a Spanish plume set up more probably don't get storms than do get them, though they can of course be pretty decent ones for those that do. They will only ever hit us here if they can survive the channel from that type of set-up anyway, though they would usually do that every year before 2006 that I remember (mid-level based).

I enjoy sunshine and showers with CB's in the sky, and can find heavy downpours even without thunder quite exciting. I actually hoped for an April where 'April showers' actually happened this year, so you won't see me complaining.. I just want to be able to enjoy the weather more often than what has just 1 day a year at the most..

Posted

Brilliant, cells head this way from North Wales intensify only to die down right over us only to intensify once they leave Shropshire border... cracking... or not as is the case! aggressive.gif

Posted

I'm on phone so can't acsess a radar ATM, could one of your fine people grab me the latest radar output for this area it will be much appreciated!

not a lot happening TBH..Cells over the Whitchurch area will die before they get to you...TBH on a day like this, with updrafts firing and decaying rapidly you'd be better suited to look out of the window for a nowcast than watching the radar..

....for those near Bromsgrove, nice cell has gone up near Droitwich, quite active.....for the moment! wink.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

A friend of mine is reporting thunder and lightning in Treorchy on Facebook at the moment. Eyes and ears peeled.

Posted

A friend of mine is reporting thunder and lightning in Treorchy on Facebook at the moment. Eyes and ears peeled.

Treorchy.....will be hanging out of the window soon. fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather.

Cells seem to be losing intesity as they approach this area, skies are dark but just getting light showers.

Posted

Just saw this: http://forum.netweat...onders-of-hail/ which shows we can still get reasonably exciting weather from this type of set up..

Down this way yesterday was a better day for thundery activity in the area, today it's just been showers though I have had more showers today with a brief torrential burst.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

I don't know about other people, but I'd call a poor, poor, poor, set up one with low cloud/stratocumulus lapping over the UK around the edge of a high pressure. I can count 5 thunderstorms currently in the country and a few other showers with the odd strike. Never was going to be anything drastically more. Even in a Spanish plume set up more probably don't get storms than do get them, though they can of course be pretty decent ones for those that do. They will only ever hit us here if they can survive the channel from that type of set-up anyway, though they would usually do that every year before 2006 that I remember (mid-level based).

I enjoy sunshine and showers with CB's in the sky, and can find heavy downpours even without thunder quite exciting. I actually hoped for an April where 'April showers' actually happened this year, so you won't see me complaining.. I just want to be able to enjoy the weather more often than what has just 1 day a year at the most..

I do understand what you're saying, I honestly do, but IMHO april shower scenario storms are like a quick fumble in the back alley after pub closing hours...looks great from a distance, flashes a nice bit of cleavage, but one disappointing bang and the novelty has gone.....where as Spanish plume scenario are like a quality curry.....you look forward to it all day, you can smell it in the air, the anticipation mounts, it arrives and the spices causes fireworks to slam you right between the eyes and then you get the loud rumbles that continue all night long! biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

there are tweets saying thunder in cardiff but i haven't heard anything...

Heard nothing either...and I was stood in my garden for ten minutes having a cheeky listen. Just rain it seems...

Posted

Nothing much happening here. A short, sharp hail and rain shower at about 12:45 but nothing has happened since despite the sky appearing dark and threatening on occasions. Overall a different and rather poor set up in comparison with yesterday.

Edit: Just as a postscript to yesterday. I had to travel to Gainsborough to pick up my other 'arf. Left here at 3:20pm in a cloudburst but no thunder. Another downpour near Barnetby but thereafter skies cleared a little to leave a scene of anvils and cells surrounding me! Return home was largely uneventful with only a relatively light shower.

Edited by nimbus20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

I do understand what you're saying, I honestly do, but IMHO april shower scenario storms are like a quick fumble in the back alley after pub closing hours...looks great from a distance, flashes a nice bit of cleavage, but one disappointing bang and the novelty has gone.....where as Spanish plume scenario are like a quality curry.....you look forward to it all day, you can smell it in the air, the anticipation mounts, it arrives and the spices causes fireworks to slam you right between the eyes and then you get the loud rumbles that continue all night long! biggrin.png

Nice analogy lmao