Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Fed Up With Overcast, Rain And Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

Dont get conned, this country is not getting any warmer.

The rubbish run of cool, cloudy and wet summers goes on and on..

Only one flipside, I can pick up the phone and get the airconditioning maintenance guys to turn up at home within a week and its high summer!! Ten years ago you could forget it until September.

Posted

It isn't really cold, I still walk my dog in T-shirt and lightweight trousers.

A bit wetter than normal but we need the rain, and it's just balancing out the exceptionally dry weather of the previous 18 months or so.

Relatively speaking it is cold/cool, if this was spring or autumn it would be classed as mild but for high summer its cold , not sure what you mean by a 'bit' wetter, I would say a lot wettermellow.png

Posted

Dont get conned, this country is not getting any warmer.

The rubbish run of cool, cloudy and wet summers goes on and on..

I know I'm in the minority and I really do feel for you guys who love proper summer fare, but speaking entirely selfishly this summer is just wonderful to me. I can barely believe I've gotten away with it for so long,and it looks like continuing for the near future. If this is the effect 'global warming' has on our neck of the woods, bring it on I say! Clouding over nicely right now and I can smell the rain....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

After 22 years' spent up in the Sneck, I think that my expectations of the UK summer have changed somewhat?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Try living up here, we don't appear to have any other available choice of weather. So if your not a fan of cloudy,grey & wet weather then it's tough! If it wasn't for the longer days then you'd never guess it was nearly mid summer. blum.gif

I look forward to Autumn/Winter 2012/13.... We might be graced with a few days where it doesn't actually rain for over 24 hours at the least.... whistling.gif

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I know I'm in the minority and I really do feel for you guys who love proper summer fare, but speaking entirely selfishly this summer is just wonderful to me. I can barely believe I've gotten away with it for so long,and it looks like continuing for the near future. If this is the effect 'global warming' has on our neck of the woods, bring it on I say! Clouding over nicely right now and I can smell the rain....

Seconded, that man! This is without doubt the best start to any summer I can remember from my particular point of view. I too can barely believe it's lasting so long, I'm almost becoming hopeful it will turn into another 1954 or 1956- the summer equivalent of winter 1963 or 1979.

Posted

Try living up here, we don't appear to have any other available choice of weather. So if your not a fan of cloudy,grey & wet weather then it's tough! If it wasn't for the longer days then you'd never guess it was nearly mid summer. blum.gif

I look forward to Autumn/Winter 2012/13.... We might be graced with a few days where it doesn't actually rain for over 24 hours at the least.... whistling.gif

just think people coming for the Olympics will expect hot sunny weather !! me thinks they better buy some wet gear at the moment this Olympics could go down to be one of the wet,s one on record and we still got over 28 days before it start !!!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

On the other hand this exceptionally wet spell has to end so why not by the end of July, let's hope so!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Until yesterday, I was seriously wondering if Bill Giles (ex-MetO) was privately regretting his "Mediterranean summers" comments from back in the 90s. "Dundee would be as balmy as Berkshire...France would be a desert" etc etc.

Turns out, apparently not. Can't remember if it was the Sunday People or Mirror from yesterday, but according to ol' Bill, we're still heading for that Mediterranean utopia.

After five rotten summers, and this one beginning to look like going the same way, can I ask you Mr Giles a couple of open questions.

1) Looked out the window lately? All this rain, gloom and cool rubbish is just like Marbella eh? nea.gif

2) Can I have a drag on whatever you've been smoking?

Edited by No thunder here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Seconded, that man! This is without doubt the best start to any summer I can remember from my particular point of view. I too can barely believe it's lasting so long, I'm almost becoming hopeful it will turn into another 1954 or 1956- the summer equivalent of winter 1963 or 1979.

Nature will of course balance out this run of dire summers with a return to good (from my perspective) ones again. That or we'll end up with mild winters coupled with cool summers a lot more which I'm sure would not suit many except those who can only operate over a very narrow range of temperatures.

I feel for the farmers I really do. As a gardener myself I've seen how dry it was in early spring and since then we've had low temperatures and very little sunlight. Things just don't grow without energy. Expect food (and beer!) prices to shoot up this year. I'm just hoping we get a drier/sunnier August so at least what harvest we do get will not just rot in the fields.

I know some of you don't like warmth & sun but if this were a more longing trend it would be a disaster for our farming & tourist industry it really would.

Posted

Relatively speaking it is cold/cool, if this was spring or autumn it would be classed as mild but for high summer its cold , not sure what you mean by a 'bit' wetter, I would say a lot wettermellow.png

I'm certainly not walking my dogs in a T Shirt — I need a jumper and sometimes a jacket for the copious rain we have been having.

Put the central heating back on this morning — how dismal is that?

Posted

I have not know anything like this prolonged coolness in spring and summer, Is this coolest period April to July on record,? it seems it

Posted

That or we'll end up with mild winters .Things just don't grow without energy. Expect food (and beer!) prices to shoot up this year.

This is my great dread - coupled with an Indian Summer, yuk! Is there any indication yet of food crops being affected? I'm not bothered in the least about beer prices as I make all I sup,so no worries unless the price of Maris Otter malt goes thru' the roof,and I've got me own little hop plantation! Something is awry cos I've only had to cut the grass twice this year,which is way down on this time last year. I'd have thought the constant moisture would've balanced out the lack of full sun. Apparently not...

Posted

this summer is just wonderful to me. I can barely believe I've gotten away with it for so long,..

Thats what mildies where thinking in winter , mild all the way then , a brutal cold spell in feb to finish off

I suspect the same thing for summers, cool wet all the way then a short but intense heat in late August or September, (or maybe not)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Cannot believe people are putting their heating on.

Ok its not wall to wall sunshine, but it is hardly the depths of winter either.

If it was my house, you would be putting a jumper on and told to stop moaning! blum.gif

I have not know anything like this prolonged coolness in spring and summer, Is this coolest period April to July on record,? it seems it

No.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well my colleague who has an allotment says all his plants are way behind. Peas would normally be 3 foot tall by now are still only a few inches in height. The soil temperature only reached high enough to grow many crops 2 or so weeks ago - well behind. Even if the weather changed now it would be too late for many crops to grow in time. An appalling spring and summer for growing anything. I'm lucky in that my garden is very sheltered so I am getting growth albeit weeks behind what it would be normally.

As for heating - radiators were on this morning in the office as the system clicks on at a certain temperature. My Cameroonian colleague is currently wrapped up in his coat trying to kill us all with the fan heater. All windows are shut and the headaches I get when the room is stuffy are on the way.

All in all - it's like being trapped in the grim months, the only exception being I can cycle home in the relative safety of daylight.

This time last week I was sat outside having lunch in Slovenia in the warm sunshine and stuffy airless rooms causing headaches were a distant nightmare!

Posted

Took a stroll along the beach yesterday morning and although there were some sunny patches that brought the temperature up a little temporarily, the wind was blowing like late October and from inside, you could have been at any extremes of the begining or end of a year. I can do cold, but lets get some sun please!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

I've just got back from manchester airport after doing some aviation photography, and I can honestly say I can't take much more of this weather now. Not getting above 12c atm, driving cold rain and a biting wind. This would be a poor day in october, never mind July...Seriously fed up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

If it was my house, you would be putting a jumper on and told to stop moaning! blum.gif

No.

I don't like wearing unnecessary clothing inside.. the heating is there to be used.

This is my great dread - coupled with an Indian Summer, yuk! Is there any indication yet of food crops being affected? I'm not bothered in the least about beer prices as I make all I sup,so no worries unless the price of Maris Otter malt goes thru' the roof,and I've got me own little hop plantation! Something is awry cos I've only had to cut the grass twice this year,which is way down on this time last year. I'd have thought the constant moisture would've balanced out the lack of full sun. Apparently not...

US crop prices are soaring because of the heat and lack of rainfall.. not sure about here

Posted

I'm certainly not walking my dogs in a T Shirt — I need a jumper and sometimes a jacket for the copious rain we have been having.

Put the central heating back on this morning — how dismal is that?

Not too dismal to me - no sure about the rest of the country but low temperatures of 3C are not uncommon in June here, and single digit temperatures in July occur all the time, and that definitely requires the heating to be turned on, in the morning at least.

Posted

No.

I have a jumper on. Bear in mind that you live in Surrey — a relatively warm part of the UK. Even here we are having nights as cold as 6-7C, and that is sapping the heat from the house.

Edited by picog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I have no preference in terms of a lot of weather types, I like severe weather along with summery weather and cold weather, but what I do like is variation.

What I dont like is day after day of drizzle and cloud, that is one weather type that I call................................

BORING BORING BORING BORING BORING BORING BORING BORING BORING

Edited by Active Weather Dude

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I don't like wearing unnecessary clothing inside.. the heating is there to be used.

US crop prices are soaring because of the heat and lack of rainfall.. not sure about here

Personally I would rather save the money.

Then again, I have not had to have the heating on since late March.

Not too dismal to me - no sure about the rest of the country but low temperatures of 3C are not uncommon in June here, and single digit temperatures in July occur all the time, and that definitely requires the heating to be turned on, in the morning at least.

Do you have insulation?

Posted

I last used heating on that bank holiday weekend in June as it was horribly cold & wet.

I haven't since and it's been *just* about warm enough so long as its warmed a little bit by us cooking etc. It's been abut 19-20.5c most of the time - too warm to put heating on but always that niggling chill on the air if you sit around for long enough. Soon as we drop below 18c then we need some heat into the place.

Oh for the late May weather when I came home to 22c and could open the windows to let the warm in!

Posted

Do you have insulation?

Yes, of course.. maybe I am just ultra sensitive to cool temperatures indoors..