Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Stormy weather - Thursday 10th May

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Thanks AJ. I'm currently sat just outside Barton and can't see anything of note to the north (Hessle). Dark cloud to the south but nothing overly spectacular.

Maybe i'd be better served to head south towards Grimsby in the hope i might catch the Lincoln cell. I'll do a radar check.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Just had a moderate shower here - some showers developing around GM/North Cheshire, hoping they move NE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Thanks AJ. I'm currently sat just outside Barton and can't see anything of note to the north (Hessle). Dark cloud to the south but nothing overly spectacular.

Maybe i'd be better served to head south towards Grimsby in the hope i might catch the Lincoln cell. I'll do a radar check.

quite bright radar echoes from that shower between Barton & Immingham, but these showers are going up and dying very quickly...I'm wondering if there's too much surface wind, i.e the updrafts are getting quickly ripped to pieces near the surface and the cells collapse?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Unless I'm proven wrong later which I probably will be, I really can't see you guys getting much today, just one of those horrible times when everything comes together but completely diminishes before your very eyes. Hope you guys do though.

Posted

quite bright radar echoes from that shower between Barton & Immingham, but these showers are going up and dying very quickly...I'm wondering if there's too much surface wind, i.e the updrafts are getting quickly ripped to pieces near the surface and the cells collapse?

I can hear some sferics on the AM radio but nothing showing on lightning detectors. Not sure what anyione else around this area is seeing but I am nearly ready to give it up as a bust.

Another couple of hours and all the favourable conditions will be gone.

Posted

Had a convective shower pass by in the past 5 mins, gave some moderate-heavy rain with nice big raindrops.

Posted

I am afraid that all those in the north east have forgotten one extremely important ingredient

location!!!

It seems as if storms only want to form in the SE this year so far (I am not complaining)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Got a good view over the estuary where I am now. I'm on a single track road called horkstow road. Not a lot happening though, just a light shower at the moment. Think I'll stop here for a while and see what happens. Might have to give up about 6ish and head back to Nottingham.

Posted

Near-torrential shower in progress here

EDIT Torrential shower now

I am afraid that all those in the north east have forgotten one extremely important ingredient

location!!!

It seems as if storms only want to form in the SE this year so far (I am not complaining)

Not really relevant, is it?

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Pinning my hopes now on the heavy ppn passing north of Nottingham and heading in the direction of the humber estuary. Anyone think that will develop into a storm as it moves towards this area? How are the other chasers feeling about our chances?

Posted

Well that went tits up, egg on the face for a lot of forecasters, and I once again got sucked in to the lovely looking models/ingredients.

Once again goes to show just how unpredictable, and hard the weather, severe weather/storms in particular is to forecast.

Energy will start degrading as I type this now, with no energy come 6-7pm.

Oh well maybe next time, we need a good old plume, and soon!

Lewis

Hi AJ,

I agree, I was not on about the forecasters on here at all, i was talking about estofex and others and forums/groups on my facebook making out Armageddon is going to kick off lol.

It's been another disappointing day sadly, as you say a window of opportunity , all be it small now, o'well time for the next chance smile.png

I've had good solar output most of the day up until now where it's patchy, but it just goes to show how conditions further South can hamper development for us up North.

Lewis

Edited by UK Storm Chasers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Well that went tits up, egg on the face for a lot of forecasters, and I once again got sucked in to the lovely looking models/ingredients.

Once again goes to show just how unpredictable, and hard the weather, severe weather/storms in particular is to forecast.

Energy will start degrading as I type this now, with no energy come 6-7pm.

Oh well maybe next time, we need a good old plume, and soon!

Lewis

I totally disagree with the highlighted comment....all the forecasters and pundits (especially on here) said that there was the potential for storms/severe storms, but that cloud cover may well be the deciding issue, and as forecasted, it's the cloudiness that has hampered convection today...There is still a window of opportunity, but it's a narrow window now

Posted

Just got home, I gave up just before 5. Think the surface winds were killing whatever built, which is a bit of a shame.

Posted

Large storm here in Brentwood, loud thunder but no lightning seen!

Am I the only one to report a storm today? Albeit in Essex!!!

Posted

Seems not everywhere has escaped, serious flooding expected around Skipton (including the town center) from a further 0.5m rise in river heights. Already flooding being reported. http://liveoopnorth.co.uk/2012/05/10/skipton-floods-may-2012/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There was always great potential, but there's always a big difference between that and it actually coming to fruition. Such a shame for those who went out chasing. sad.png

Get home and grab a beer. drinks.gif

Posted

Amazed there are not reports of thunder/lightning from the cells east of York.

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

That's the one that we got and it was just very heavy rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Had a cracking storm come by Scarborough about 45 minutes ago. Unfortunately I was walking home in it. As torrential as I've seen in a long time. It soaked through my coat, though my shirt and trousers and even my underwear was wringing wet by the time I got home :o I could pour water out of my shoes I was so wet... Not fun given the smell of sewage mixing with the floodwater as the drains were bursting :(

I guess this was the culprit

post-1731-0-89148200-1336672150_thumb.pn

Posted

Got back to Nottingham at about 20:15, after a 157 mile round trip.

Obviously it was disappointing, but it's the first time I've been around that area, so I have some usable knowledge for the future.

Things got slightly more interesting about 6ish to the north of the estuary, with some little lowerings associated with the intense line of ppn which formed, as you can see in my pics...

post-3392-0-01493000-1336680259_thumb.jp

post-3392-0-73704400-1336680265_thumb.jp

post-3392-0-84247500-1336680270_thumb.jp

post-3392-0-69661300-1336680275_thumb.jp

Looking forward to next time.

Posted

Nice pics MCT, same view that I had. We must have been not more than 5 miles apart. Disappointing day though, I am still yet to see a storm this year.