Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Queens Jubilee Bank Holiday Weather Prospects.

Posted

Yes my eyes are on Sunday for street party and bbq here. So long as its dry & there's some sun around it'll be ok.

Good luck for Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes think I'll need it.. :(

What a foolish plan I had attempting a bbq on a UK bank holiday!

Anyone ready to give the weekend forecast a stab?

To me it looks coolest on Fri/Sat then the northerly (yuk) flow eases for a time during Sunday before getting going again later on Monday.

GFS cloud forecasts say clear but not sure I can believe that. 13-14c is predicted but if sunny I think we'll easily see 16-18c. Key thing is - will it be sunny?

Posted

Given the height of the sun this time of year, anywhere is going to feel pleasantly warm out of any wind during the afternoon if it's shining. If it's cloudy however the current set up for the weekend does appear cool/very cool and along the N Sea coast single digit maxima do not look completely out of the question. Nottingham is probably close enough to that coast to keep temps around 15 or 16c at best on Sunday, but I think there will be some sunshine and as such it should still feel pretty pleasant until late afternoon.. the evening however will turn chilly very quickly. On a +ive note tho it should be dry, which given its a Bank Holiday is not to be sniffed at...good.gif

Edited by shedhead

Posted

It looks a preety cool bank holiday weekend and into the start of next week, but at least to begin with it should stay dry with some decent sunny breaks. By Monday showery conditions could envelop much of the country with more sustained periods of rain from the west by Tuesday.. but far from certain at this stage whether the atlantic will make sufficient inroads.

BBC are staying tight lipped but hinting the first half of the long weekend will be better than the second half.

Many jubilee celebrations have coincided with rather chilly poor conditions, the coronation was a very chilly affair with a cold northerly, ditto the silver jubilee, the golden jubilee I think brought preety lacklustre conditions and this one certainly doesn't look like being a heatwave.. its one week too late...

Posted

I need it to be dry Saturday and Sunday ideally due to a golf competition and then a street party. Hopefully Herts and East London will be cool but no rain. PLEASE GOD!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Does seem the 'main' day (Sunday) is looking fairly reasonable. Not much rain around nor too much cloud. Certainly cool but not cold under partly sunny skies. Prob maybe 16-18c here which will do fine for the afternoon.

It certainly could be a lot worse - although of course it could be a lot better!

Posted

It's almost a nowcast situation isn't it. Every time i look at a 5 dayer the symbols change! Earlier today, Saturday was looking better than Sunday. Over on TWO someone posted a good comment re temperature possibilities too (thou netweather is the best, of course!).

Posted

Models make for grim viewing this morning. Polar air arriving later meaning potential for rain on Sunday. BBC 5 day showing 13c and rain for Sunday. Their forecasts are of course naff at that range but still is not encouraging to see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Certainly a chance of some frontal rain pushing into the south on Sunday, though it looks like it will probably only just graze the south. Elsewhere, probably sunny intervals and isolated showers on Saturday and Sunday, with temperatures near-normal in the west and south but rather chilly in eastern Scotland and NE England- even in sunshine a BBQ may be rather difficult in north-eastern Britain. Monday will have sunshine and showers but with the winds off the North Sea the Tyne and Wear coastal strip will probably stay dry and convection-free with some sunshine but also a chilly onshore breeze.

Not really liking the look of those synoptic charts on GFS/UKMO from Tuesday onwards- looks reminiscent of most recent summers.

Posted

Thanks for that - doesn't sound too bad then although a far cry from this past 10 days. Even today is still lovely out there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Saturday

Fine weather with plenty of sunshine and good visibility. Moderate east to northeasterly winds.

Sunday

Staying fine and settled with high pressure ridge persisting. Moderate north or northeasterly winds with excellent visibility.

Looks fine to me...Lakes District mountain weather forecast...

Posted

In the words of Ray Wilkins - my word. Just saw the BBC forecast for Sunday and it looks dire for London and the met office website doesn't look pretty either. Someone tell me this is not nailed on?

Posted

Yeah going to need to take some decisions today about Sunday's plans...

I know the south looks quite poor but how about this far north?

11c and rain is not what I had in mind when I planned a bbq and with all this fantastic weather lately (all bar two days of which have been work days!) who'd have thought our cruel climate would turn to total cack right at the long weekend. Should have known really...

Posted

Cruel is spot on Bottesford. So so depressing and you can only say "what do you expect, it's England" for so long before it becomes tedious. One blooming day you want it to be dry and it goes t*ts up. Just tweeted the metoffice to see what they think the % chance the system will be held out in the Atlantic but i hold out little hope for a reprieve.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Hi all,

how is Saturday shaping up for my neck of the woods? We have a street party and the NW forecast says Very light rain...is this likely on the current model runs?

Posted

That thing wasn't even there on earlier runs then in the last couple that tell tale little circular isobar of doom appeared...

The placement of things like this is hard to predict I know so suspect we'll have to just wait and see - 200 miles further south and I'll be under sunny albeit chilly skies. 200 further north and it'll be cold rain all day.

Posted

Typical isn't it!

Have you noticed how we are just about to get one of the last remaining and biggest patches of 528DAM heading in our direction just in time to wreck the jubilee weekend?

even the north pole will have warmer 850's!!

Sod it! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well its now looking likely that parts of the north west, all of the south west, midlands and the south including London will be wet on Sunday, whilst North East England and Scotland will be dry all day

smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Typical isn't it!

Have you noticed how we are just about to get one of the last remaining and biggest patches of 528DAM heading in our direction just in time to wreck the jubilee weekend?

even the north pole will have warmer 850's!!

Sod it! biggrin.png

Couldn't agree more, the British weather can be so frustrating. The one year where the late May BH is shifted in the calendar the weather goes belly up, it's almost as if it knows when the Bank Holidays are, the two previous holiday weekends this year have been shockers too! aggressive.gif

I suggest the Queen sort something out, she surely has influence over the weather gods acute.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Rain in the forecast for Jubilee Sunday

Wet weather is expected to push into some parts of the UK on Sunday as Jubilee festivities take place.

As BBC Weather's Darren Bett explains, there are still some question marks about which areas will be most affected by the rain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../feeds/18274413

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Well its now looking likely that parts of the north west, all of the south west, midlands and the south including London will be wet on Sunday, whilst North East England and Scotland will be dry all day

smile.png

I'm familiar with the view that "the weather is fine as long as it's dry", but I don't see those of us in NE England being able to do many summer outdoor activities with temperatures of 12-14C and a chilly breeze, even if we see a significant amount of sunshine (sunshine probably dependent mainly on the proximity of the fronts to the south). A thick stratocumulus sheet looks unlikely but I know how nippy those NE'lys are, especially near the coast.

Posted

Still to early to call but what I see from the latest models is for an increasing chance for it to be changeable and cool weather conditions. Long way to go before we really know though!sorry.gifrofl.gifmega_shok.gifhelp.giflazy.gif

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=108&mode=2

its not looking hot cool with possible rain so take a hat and mac just to be safe!!!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=108&mode=2

Posted

Rain in the forecast for Jubilee Sunday

Wet weather is expected to push into some parts of the UK on Sunday as Jubilee festivities take place.

As BBC Weather's Darren Bett explains, there are still some question marks about which areas will be most affected by the rain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../feeds/18274413

I think if you are able to get one issued this morning that forecast is perhaps looking a bit over pessimistic in terms of how much and how far north the rain may get.

I personally think it is going to be Friday after the 12z run before we can be rather more certain of where the front and its rain may be for Sunday?