Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Correlation Between Sunshine & Waking Up Early?

Posted

Glad of it though - would much rather have my bedroom facing east

I wish I had a north-facing bedroom! Was up at some ungodly hour this morning after a fitful kip,being awoken rudely by the damn sun blasting thru' my east-facing window,making light work of my black curtains. Been trying to catch a few winks since,prior to my looming,gruelling 2pm - 10pm stint in an outrageously hot engineering shop. No chance,the horrendous heat and light putting paid to any chance of that. Already feel practically dead. Ain't summer wonderful? LG,ticking away the days before this horror starts to subside. Methinks I'm in for a long,long wait.

Just to cheer myself up and pass a little time,I've been looking longingly at a chart showing the sunrise and sunset times for December...

Edited by laserguy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I wish I had a north-facing bedroom! Was up at some ungodly hour this morning after a fitful kip,being awoken rudely by the damn sun blasting thru' my east-facing window,making light work of my black curtains. Been trying to catch a few winks since,prior to my looming,gruelling 2pm - 10pm stint in an outrageously hot engineering shop. No chance,the horrendous heat and light putting paid to any chance of that. Already feel practically dead. Ain't summer wonderful? LG,ticking away the days before this horror starts to subside. Methinks I'm in for a long,long wait.

Just to cheer myself up and pass a little time,I've been looking longingly at a chart showing the sunrise and sunset times for December...

Why not invest in a new chest-freezer, Barrie? You know it makes sense!good.gifrofl.gif

Posted

I wouldn't mind a north facing window in summer when I'm waking every half hour or so to look for nocties ....... :D But overall I prefer an east facing one to get the first of the sun (and because it's warmer in the morning and cooler in the evening).

btw I haven't drawn my curtains across since I moved here 12 and a half years ago. Though it's fair to say I can sleep as well in daylight as I can in the dark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Why do people always look down on people for getting up late.....In my line of work I start at 12.15pm and work 10 hours through until 10.15pm. Just stating that not everyone works 9-5. I tend to go to sleep at 3ish and get up at 11 too but I don't see anything wrong with that when I work the hours I do?

I think it more those who dont work who get up at midday that people look down on. Mind you when your young and at college or uni etc its understandable i did much the same thing rarely was i up before 11am unless i had to be!..my best mate was rarely up before 4pm in the afternoon if it wasn't a college day..these days after being at work for 20 odd years im used to getting up early...week days im up before 6am and im my office between 6.30-6.45 weekends i get up at 7.30 both sat and sunday...also having children gets you into a routine of being up early every day because they are.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

There is indeed a strong correlation because when dark your body releases hormones to make you sleep and thus in summer people tend to wake up with the sun more often, especially because your body is actually designed for two sleep sessions per day (a siesta effectively) with a shorter main sleep.

Being a student i prefer to wake after 10am however in summer this does become earlier unless i can help it and i now tend to wake anytime after 8am despite going to bed after midnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Personally, I find 8 hours of sleep per night ideal but I can cope with a steady 6-7 hours per night, albeit with increased daytime tiredness. Less than that, and I start feeling ill due to sleep deprivation. During my first year at university I thus had no alternative to sleeping in until 11am or later because the students in my hall of residence partied between midnight and 3-4am most nights, and as late as 5-6am on Friday and Saturday nights, and their stance was that if you wanted to sleep during those hours it was your fault for being different and disregarding the 'rules' of what it means to be a student.

The "why are those who get up at 10-11 in the morning frowned upon?" is a good question, and I think there are many reasons, some good, some bad:

1. Envy- most people who work 9-5 have to get up earlier than they would like, especially if they have long commutes and/or feel like getting up earlier than necessary in order to beat the rush hour, and it annoys them that others can get away with getting up late.

2. Images of partially hungover slobs rolling into work as late as they can get away with, and doing as little work as possible.

3. Early arrival and long hours spent in the office are seen as a sign of commitment to one's work.

4. There's a sense that if you get up at 11am you've wasted half the morning.

I'm not a fan of arguments 1 and 3, but those described in point 2 deserve the vitriol they get, while point 4 is my main reason for trying to avoid long lie-ins. When I'm not in work I generally prefer to get up around 9 to 9:30am, but nearer 8am when in work. And yes, it is a lot easier for me to get up earlier and harder to lie in when there is a lot of sunshine. Snowy spells have a similar effect on me, whereas in contrast during grey drizzly weather it is hard to get up and embrace the outdoors.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I can definitely understand people getting annoyed at people who sleep in and as a result are late for work etc

One thing I think is unfair though is the notion that people who get up late are 'lazy.' I definitely am not a lazy person, I do a lot of sport, go to the gym, do lots of work and study (I'm a student) but also do my fair share of partying and late night clubbing etc.

I think that I simply find that there's more things happening later at night then at say 7 or 8am, so I prefer staying up later and in return waking up later to compensate for that. For example I usually find that there are some good films on late at night.

Posted

I can definitely understand people getting annoyed at people who sleep in and as a result are late for work etc

One thing I think is unfair though is the notion that people who get up late are 'lazy.' I definitely am not a lazy person, I do a lot of sport, go to the gym, do lots of work and study (I'm a student) but also do my fair share of partying and late night clubbing etc.

I think that I simply find that there's more things happening later at night then at say 7 or 8am, so I prefer staying up later and in return waking up later to compensate for that. For example I usually find that there are some good films on late at night.

yeah there are good films late at night, but what kind of films are you talking about eh ? i don't think this is the place to discuss that though

the point is there is more tv on at night these days and people end up staying up later

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

yeah there are good films late at night, but what kind of films are you talking about eh ? i don't think this is the place to discuss that though

the point is there is more tv on at night these days and people end up staying up later

Hahaa, not talking about what I think you are suggesting! Film4 and channels like that often have some decent films on, sometimes some classics

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I used to do lots of clubbing but find the late nights hard to work into my schedule. I only get two days a week to cram everything into so don't want to waste them in bed.

I'd do lots more clubbing if they could start special 'workers' clubs opening at 7pm with the main dj on at 9pm then winding down at midnight. At the moment its gone midnight before anyone is in a club which is near impossible on a Friday night after a long week. Well unless you cheat and have a stimulant of some sort (of course I mean coffee.... ha). This is why Friday night crowd is always much younger than the Sat night crowd!

Posted

Why do people always look down on people for getting up late.....In my line of work I start at 12.15pm and work 10 hours through until 10.15pm. Just stating that not everyone works 9-5. I tend to go to sleep at 3ish and get up at 11 too but I don't see anything wrong with that when I work the hours I do?

I get this a lot from people aswell. You should see the look on people's faces when they knock on the door at 1pm and its obvious Ive just woken up.

I dont find this weather affects my sleeping patterns as theres generally no pattern to break anyway. I do 12.5hr day and night shifts so get up at 4.45am for days and 1-2pm on nights. On days off I usually wake up somwhere in the middle, generally anytime from 8-12am.

I generally find I sleep better in the winter half though as Im going to bed in darkness on days (9-10pm) and nights (7am).

Posted

I don't think folk who get up late are lazy - I'm just surprised they can stay in bed so long. Something could never do, even when younger and I wasn't getting home to 3am. Though admittedly in those days I didn't get up quite as early as I do nowadays. And I tend not to stay up late much as I prefer to work in the mornings and relax in the evening - I tend to have a few drinks when I get home from work (can't afford to drink out these days), then a meal, then watch TV or read and then bed by 11pm.

Posted

I have found myself waking up around an hour earlier than normal over recent mornings thanks to the very early sun streaming through the curtains on my east facing bedroom window. However, this morning very tellingly I woke up at the normal time thanks to low cloud, so yes I do believe it makes a significant difference, particularly if accompanied by warm humid conditions.

There is no denying the fact the sunshine makes you feel much more alert, but this can have its side effects, it can make it much more difficult to get a decent sleep and heat makes some people very irritated and often leads to irrational behaviour. You are much more likely to stay level headed in the winter than in the summer, less likely to change your behaviour, there is a saying 'winter hardens the mind'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Went bed at 3am last night, and woke up at 7:30am. :lol: