Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 7th July 2012>

Coast

Posted

Why was my post deleted?

Try looking in the appropriate thread - No Storms Club?!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I see, sorry, just thought it was more discussion related as to why we don't get storms here.

Posted

No probs!!! smile.png

HiRLAM has the South in a CAPE friendly area as well today:

hir_cape_eur15.png

hir_icape_eur15.png

Convergence looking interesting as well:

hir_layer_eur15.png

hir_spout_eur15.png

and still that tornado possibility area along the South coast?

hir_stp_eur15.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Well, I have a thunderstorm symbol on N-W's homepage for this afternoon. Not sure I can see it myself as it would come from the west? ( We suck at storms from the west normally )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Quite a few sunny spells here in Newbury, Berkshire so I do feel the south will be the place today, initiation then BOOM, simples!

Not forgetting Yorkshire and Lincolnshire of course, surely those guys have had enough extreme for a few years now. blum.gif

Excepting local diferences, most of my thundery type showers, that is to say, definitely no storms had arrived prior to May this year. cray.gif

Radar look pretty good and the first thunder for some must only be an hour or so away.

post-7183-0-69065200-1341994672_thumb.gi

I'll leave the technical aspects to others but I feel the encircled area looks prone for some action before lunchtime and maybe beyond.

Observations here: 15.1c AT, 80% humidity, 12.2c DP, steady barometer 1010.5hpa

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

First shower of the day breaking-out here, already! Some very dark cloud-bases, too...

Posted

After an amazing rainbow this morning, I did see some towers building out over The Channel, I'm just not 100% confident that it can build sufficiently and trigger through the day to give us in the SE something. Best time for today in daylight hours seems to be around either 2.00pm or 5.00pm here?

sounding3.curr.1400lst.d2.png

sounding3.curr.1800lst.d2.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Storm in brum.. Shocker..

Good sign considering the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hard to believe that just 20 or so miles away there is a thunderstorm (admittedly a weak pulse type storm) whilst here it's the same as yesterday, damp, drizzly, overcast & cold!

Damn you, sarf-easteners, hogging all the storms that'll come today, just like you did yesterday....damn you! laugh.png

Posted

Damn you, sarf-easteners, hogging all the storms that'll come today, just like you did yesterday....damn you! laugh.png

Ermm where would that have been then? unknw.gif

Posted

Some very stormy skies in Leeds at the minute with heavy downpours on and off!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

i was up and about early today .just after5am i looked out of the window and saw an amazing sky . out towards my south west were 3 massive cum nim ,no anvils but very impressive .had a quick cuppa and went on radar zilch .nothing at all further west , so my v short hoping quickly melted away . it was very much like a winter snow train acoming ,cold air moving over warm sea ,bristol channel and bridge water bay activated . sorry no pics but if i,d have gone to get camera it would have woken my wife .still good for storms though today ,hope you all see something . fridays low possibly looks like taking a slightly more southerly track but still fronts far enough north for a threat of some very hvy rain ,will catch up tonight of to help moth in law ,cheers legritter .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Best time for today in daylight hours seems to be around either 2.00pm or 5.00pm here?

What do you know Coast, ignore the output and believe in gottolovethisweather, it's kicking off, see Surrey's post and others.

I can feel a very good acometh for us storm starved southerners. drinks.gif

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Omg this rain!!!!!! Lightning !!! Hahaha!!?!?!???

Game on and maybe an early start to a severe event or two!

Posted

What do you know Coast, ignore the output and believe in gottolovethisweather, it's kicking off, see Surrey's post and others.

No I actually meant right here, over my head!!!! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Ermm where would that have been then? unknw.gif

I would suggest reading yesterday's thread then Robin tsk tsk whistling.gif

Posted

I would suggest reading yesterday's thread then Robin tsk tsk whistling.gif

If I didn't get it here - it doesn't count!!! blum.gif (North Kent and Essex are only lower East Anglia anyway!!! rofl.gif )

Posted

I must admit though, I'm rather looking forward to seeing the storm reports on here as the day progresses as I think down south it could be a cracker today for storms....Not expecting much up here in the West Midlands, maybe a rogue shower. Most of the showers seem to be developing south and west of Birmingham transiting quickly ESE, so I'm thinking west or SW of London to be the sweet spot today

Posted

It's OK, the Guardian says there will be thunderstorms!!

Further flood misery expected as torrential rain forecast for sodden-UK

Three flood warnings and 26 alerts issued as 15mm of rain predicted to fall in an hour across some parts of country

Britain's rain-sodden summer shows no sign of mending its miserable ways, with another day of thunderstorms and torrential downpours expected on Wednesday.

Forecasters are predicting that up to 15mm of rain could fall in an hour in some places as the period of unseasonably wet weather that has brought flooding up and down the country drags on. The Environment Agency has three flood warnings – one in the South West and two in the Midlands – and 26 flood alerts in place across England, while the Met Office has issued an amber warning of rain for south-eastern areas of Scotland and yellow warnings across large swathes of southern and northern England.

A Met Office spokesman said: "The public should be prepared for the likelihood of localised flooding, particularly in the amber area." Gemma Plumb, a forecaster with MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, warned that bursts of torrential rain could fall on already saturated ground, increasing the chances of flooding. "Scotland and northern England will see spells of heavy, persistent rain today and there are indications that there could be some torrential, thundery outbreaks," she said. "Elsewhere there will be showers, which could be persistent and heavy in some areas especially across southern and easterly parts of England."

Forecasters predicted rainfall totals of around 20-30mm, but said double that amount could fall in local areas. Plumb said a further band of heavy, persistent rain will move in from the south west during Thursday, increasing the flooding threat. More showers are expected in England and Wales on Friday. "The rain is falling on already saturated ground and river catchments are already at very high levels so further problems are to be expected," she added. Sunday, however, could provide some respite from the rain with drier spells forecast.

Showers hit most parts of the UK on Tuesday, causing problems to the transport network and public events, including the England cricket match in Manchester. The A35 in Dorset, which was shut due to flooding, remained closed in both directions between the A37 and A3066 this morning. One of the country's largest agricultural shows was also cancelled after just a day because of the appalling weather. The annual Great Yorkshire Show in Harrogate began on Tuesday and was due to run until Thursday but organisers decided to pull the plug after one day.

A spokeswoman for the £2.2m event said: "It is extremely upsetting because of all the tremendous hard work and disappointment which has gone into the organising, as well as the great disappointment for visitors." The recent rainy weather has also forced the government and Olympic organisers to draw up contingency plans to deal with the inclement British summer, following a series of meetings to predict the extent to which London 2012 could be adversely affected by the dismal conditions

http://www.guardian....k?newsfeed=true

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

That hard work and disappointment thing doesn't really work. They make it sound like every other summmer is hot and sunny! Well it's sunny here today anyway.

Posted

I can feel a very good acometh for us storm starved southerners. drinks.gif

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Game on and maybe an early start to a severe event or two!

There looks to be a decent line developing Swindon out to the Bristol Channel that might just catch us in Newbs... it might also just miss...