Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012 / 2013 Part 2

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

And 'tolerated' it is, in the Scottish Highlands (21 years!). But, in SE England 200cm of snow and -20C wouldn't be quite so welcome??

Probably not, considering it would render the place absolutely paralysed, but my point is, with the right equipment in place, snow does not cause misery or havoc, no matter how long it lay on the ground. Of course, that will never be the case in the UK, since winter barely exists here to begin with. When you lot experience a winter in Atlantic Canada, in its truest form, get back to me on how awful 1947 was. It will open your eyes and give some perspective I'm certain, a bit like spending a summer in Alicante.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

As one who has first hand experience of every winter from 1947 onwards I do hope you all get what you hope for but do not think that a winter of 1947 or 1962-63 severity would be enjoyable by any of you-it would not.

Some would be fed up after 2-3 weeks some might last 2 months but none of you, that is with any sense, would last 3 months, take it from one who has been there.

I can see your point John although there would be a fair few of us around here that would Love to see a cold winter throughout and never tire although those two winters started late (post xmas) didn't they? I wonder if it would be possible to have one of those winters but tag a similar record breaking end of november/december onto it... air_kiss.gifbiggrin.png

I work outside in it too and would still enjoy it although my family do question my mental health when it comes to weather! blink.png

Posted

Am I reading the chart wrong ?? the one on the 3rd Jan looks pretty good to me the entire UK is under the 528 Dam Line and the wind is from the East ?? but all of this coming from Low Pressure off the Atlantic ?? seems like on weird chart, but not so bad ??

Those charts have updated since CC posted them last night and are somewhat better now as they were showing Evil Uncle Bartlett paying us a visit! Hopefully he won't darken our shores this winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Am I reading the chart wrong ?? the one on the 3rd Jan looks pretty good to me the entire UK is under the 528 Dam Line and the wind is from the East ?? but all of this coming from Low Pressure off the Atlantic ?? seems like on weird chart, but not so bad ??

Those charts have updated automatically since the OP posted them

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Probably not, considering it would render the place absolutely paralysed, but my point is, with the right equipment in place, snow does not cause misery or havoc, no matter how long it lay on the ground. Of course, that will never be the case in the UK, since winter barely exists here to begin with. When you lot experience a winter in Atlantic Canada, in its truest form, get back to me on how awful 1947 was. It will open your eyes and give some perspective I'm certain, a bit like spending a summer in Alicante.

Toronto isn't in Atlantic Canada

Of course in Toronto they're used to dealing with it - here - our infrastructure would crumble under these conditions. Still I'd like to experience a really severe UK winter at least once.

Not trueblum.gif

Posted

Accuweather have issued there winter forecast for the US today

Winter Forecast: Not Mild, But Wild for Eastern U.S.

590x437_10021836_ussnow1213_cropped.jpg

You can read it in full detail here - http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/winter-forecast-snow-northeast-nyc/80787

Posted

Not trueblum.gif

bah - you get the point I'm making - apologies for the exaggeration with respect to snowfall amounts in Toronto biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Whatever happens, the media will portraying the snow and ice as EVIL FROZEN RAIN, like they nearly always do. help.gif

I can see it now.

Schools shut, airports and transport in chaos, broken limbs, car accidents all because 2cm of snow had fallen overnight on the capital (or wherever) and temperatures had plummeted to minus 2 celcius. shok.gif

The joy it brings to many us is unsurpassing but again, once the weather effects become long-lasting and affect you personally, you might then begin to take a different viewpoint. good.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Toronto isn't in Atlantic Canada

I'm not an idiot - but Atlantic Canada is incredibly snowy due to the cold climate and position near the moist Atlantic.

And yeah Toronto is pretty pathetic compared to most of Canada but is a breath of fresh air compared to here with regards to winter snowfall removal.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

For any coldies wanting a fix of the white stuff... cold.gifhttp://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-year-britain-froze/4od

Fond memories, please lets have more of the same this winter!!! good.gif

Posted

Accuweather have issued there winter forecast for the US today

Winter Forecast: Not Mild, But Wild for Eastern U.S.

590x437_10021836_ussnow1213_cropped.jpg

You can read it in full detail here - http://www.accuweath...heast-nyc/80787

Would this mean in terms of our winter if it were to come off?, Good or bad?

Posted

I work outside in it too and would still enjoy it although my family do question my mental health when it comes to weather! blink.png

I'm not surprised!

I love your desription of the term 'late', true enough for 1947 but hardly the case in 1962-63. yes it was 22 December when mean values fell below zero C but as my data for Langar shows it was almost totally unrelenting in its coldness into 28 February

22-31 Dec mean=-3.0C

January mean=-2.4C

February mean=-1.1C

overall mean for 68 days was below zero C. There were 20 days in there spread throughout the period with a mean of +zero C, even ONE day with a mean of 1.5C.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Winter of 09/10 was bad enough here for me, I live out in the sticks and was completely isolated for nearly a week until the local farmer cleared the lane. I had to walk to my parent's house down in the village, which would normally take 25min but took nearly an hour to get milk and bread through 4/5ft drift's and 2 half ft lying snow in -20 temp's. It was fun to start with...

This year im going to be more prepared and stock the freezer up !

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

I'm not sure maybe a more experienced member could answer that question?

Posted

this is still very much an El nino forecast for North America.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A little on the Nabro eruption so2 content from Nasa.gov

http://aura.gsfc.nas...-20120305b.html

Nabro continues to emit SO2 so it's possible that the total SO2 production may be up to 2 Tg. This makes the Nabro eruption among the largest SO2 emissions in the tropics since Pinatubo (~20 Tg). Although other recent tropical eruptions (e.g., Sierra Negra (Galapagos) in 2005, some Nyamuragira (DR Congo) eruptions) have produced comparable SO2 loadings, the Nabro emissions have reached higher altitudes (up to at least 19 km according to CALIPSO space lidar), where resulted sulfate aerosols could stay long enough to produce a measurable climatic perturbation.

Fair enough,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

So here's one for you.

If you could choose ONE month in Winter for it to be cold and snowy , which month would you choose ??

and another thing I have noticed is a very slight increase on the little red line on the ensembles early in Jan (the average 850 Temperature line)..I'll see if I can find a graphic to illustrate this...anyone know why there's a small rise in the 850 average uppers in early Jan ??

Posted

So here's one for you.

If you could choose ONE month in Winter for it to be cold and snowy , which month would you choose ??

and another thing I have noticed is a very slight increase on the little red line on the ensembles early in Jan (the average 850 Temperature line)..I'll see if I can find a graphic to illustrate this...anyone know why there's a small rise in the 850 average uppers in early Jan ??

January for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I'm not surprised!

I love your desription of the term 'late', true enough for 1947 but hardly the case in 1962-63. yes it was 22 December when mean values fell below zero C but as my data for Langar shows it was almost totally unrelenting in its coldness into 28 February

22-31 Dec mean=-3.0C

January mean=-2.4C

February mean=-1.1C

overall mean for 68 days was below zero C. There were 20 days in there spread throughout the period with a mean of +zero C, even ONE day with a mean of 1.5C.

Indeed John i can vouch for the longevity of the cold 62/3 Winter.

Pre Christmas we had several frosts and days of freezing fog and the snow started on Boxing day here.Never saw the grass again as the snowcover persisted with some top ups through until the beginning of March.

Posted

So here's one for you.

Mid December to mid January, because the days are shortest, its the christmas period, so it wil feel festive and i can't wait all the way to February for snow

Posted

Indeed John i can vouch for the longevity of the cold 62/3 Winter.

Pre Christmas we had several frosts and days of freezing fog and the snow started on Boxing day here.Never saw the grass again as the snowcover persisted with some top ups through until the beginning of March.

This is pretty much a standard winter in Alberta just add a month on to each end and drop the temperature by 10-15c and you get the picturecold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

So here's one for you.

I'd like it to snow a little bit (just 4 inches or so but freeze solid afterwards) about a week before Christmas to get the festive spirit going. Then I'd like it to really snow, come down thick and fast starting roughly 11 ish on Christmas eve so that by the time Midnight Mass ends it's about 6 inches deep, then it can carry on snowing as much as it likes overnight. Stay cold, snowy and frosty for the next 2 - 3 weeks. Then it can begger off until it makes my Christmas perfect the following year.

Not too much to ask, is it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

This is pretty much a standard winter in Alberta just add a month on to each end and drop the temperature by 10-15c and you get the picturecold.gif

Your just showing off now.laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

So here's one for you.

December, feels festive, and the key thing is dark at 4pm, shortest days, very low sun, Dec is true winter for me