Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Oh dear Jordan, only -0.5C my heart bleeds, try living here in +2.1C land blum.gif

We were at 0.8C at 5pm though!

Would of been a -5'er if it wasn't for that cloud. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The Met are forecasting heavy snowfall for some places (such as Bradford).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Slightly confusing the Met forecast's for tomorrow, they are going for heavy snow here yet 200m higher they are going for heavy sleet. Looks like its going to be a radar/security light checking night. Fingers crossed!

Just checked high res NMM, temps look good, dewpoints marginal, thicknesses are good but the 0c isotherm worries me, but it worried me in that late October cold spell yet it still fell as snow..... just need some heavy precip and I think and could see a covering.

Posted

Yeah they forecast heavy snow for Bradford but nowhere else close by such as Huddersfield and Halifax (both of which are high up and smaller than Bradford). So, a game of wait and see, if the temperature is below freezing like forecast, I see no reason why snow should not fall (except the upper air temperature, in which case it may just be freezing rain!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Conflicting precipitation forecast's also Aaron, NMM showing the band breaking up but staying heavy on its western flank so giving your area the best chance of snowfall. MetO precipitation forecast showing it broken up and the heaviest area's over North and East Yorkshire. NAE just show's a steady band moving south but losing intensification around the Yorkshire area as it head's south. Radar watching it is I guess!

Posted

Yeah they forecast heavy snow for Bradford but nowhere else close by such as Huddersfield and Halifax (both of which are high up and smaller than Bradford). So, a game of wait and see, if the temperature is below freezing like forecast, I see no reason why snow should not fall (except the upper air temperature, in which case it may just be freezing rain!).

We'll see Aaron...

I'm at 185m asl on the far side of Pudsey and near the Bradford border so I'll be radar and lamp post watching tonite with a beer in hand...biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I think this evening and tomorrow morning are going to a case of wait and see for anyone within the snow forecast regions.

Highland Scotland will probably get a decent fall from it but further south and on lower ground I think it will be marginal at best and in that I include my decent altitude.

As was previously mentioned, lamp post watchers may be out in force tonight although I expect it will be more like early morning rather than during the night when it reaches the more southerly parts of the region.

lets hope it upgrades to a better than expected fall and more widespread as a snowy opening to December would be nice to see again.

Posted

Thanks for posting that video WH interesting stuff !

Can't believe the variations in the temperature last night. We got down to -1.5 and there was more frost visible than Wed night. Didn't think it was going to be frosty looking at the cloud over the Irish Sea last night, but I got that one wrong fool.gif

Looks like rain for low lying and coastal fringes tonight. I reckon ice will be a problem tomorrow. Further inland and higher up there's a chance of a surprise snowfall.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS seems to make very little of tommorow morning showing no precipitation.

Met Office have upgraded the risk for sunday night with a snow to sleet event here.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Is our precipitation tonight yet to form?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

After a sunny morning it has clouded over a lot now and even though the temperature is showing 3.4c it feels pretty damn cold.

Areas out of what direct sunlight we have had are still white with frost.

Posted

Met Office have upgraded the risk for sunday night with a snow to sleet event here.

yes the only chance it gets colder enough for snow and we have no rain lol

Its that big blob of precipitation to the North & West of Scotland, its going to move South across the Country overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms

Currently 1.6C here on the Merseyside/West Lancs border. Still frost laying where the sun's not reached - kinda hazy with the sun straining through it. Makes for a very seasonal feeling day.

Any snow prospects for us overnight do you think?

Posted

Its that big blob of precipitation to the North & West of Scotland, its going to move South across the Country overnight.

In that case the GFS is a major bust.

Posted

GFS shows a little bit of precipitation moving south, but nothing worth noting really.

Posted

Scratch that, updated to 6z run and it has rain at 1C, 2.8mm.

Currently 1.6C here on the Merseyside/West Lancs border. Still frost laying where the sun's not reached - kinda hazy with the sun straining through it. Makes for a very seasonal feeling day.

Any snow prospects for us overnight do you think?

I live on the side of Billinge Hill and I reckon there is a good chance that the precipitation for late tonight/early tomorrow morning could well be of a wintry nature. Ground temps below 0, dew points into the minus's & uppers at around -5, some people might be surprised when they wake up in the morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Hopefully it's not a repeat of Leed's getting snow and 7 miles south IMBY there is nothing, like in October. I reckon there will be a dusting tomorrow morning when I wake up good.gif

BBC weather also forecasting snow 9pm on Sunday for me too :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms

I live on the side of Billinge Hill and I reckon there is a good chance that the precipitation for late tonight/early tomorrow morning could well be of a wintry nature. Ground temps below 0, dew points into the minus's & uppers at around -5, some people might be surprised when they wake up in the morning!

I hope so Dave - would be rather nice to kick off December with a bit of the white stuff :)

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything really
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl

On the west side of the Pennines we do get precipitation forecast in the early hours tomorrow morning, forecast as snow here but rain lower down

Posted

After a sunny morning it has clouded over a lot now and even though the temperature is showing 3.4c it feels pretty damn cold.

Areas out of what direct sunlight we have had are still white with frost.

Lucky you. It was frosty and brightish first thing in south Manc, but has steadily fogged up since then. Temp wobbled up from -1 to 2ish, now back down to 1C. Visibility below 250m in Trafford Park. Looks like a similar story at the airport.