Cold?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything really

Are you counting wet sleet deposits in with your 'snowless winters' because trust me at 35 years an Oldhamer there have been a few almost barren winters during the 90's that felt mild overall and maybe just had the one or two 'fringe' events with a rain/sleet/wet snow mix. Mind you Oldham itself can have it's own microclimate, with low-lying area's getting rain and a few minutes into the hills receiving the white fluffy stuff.

Then again, perhaps there is a difference between Oldham and Saddleworth :p

Posted

Or, I don't suppose your local golf club was closed from December 2009-April 2010 due to constant snow cover?

Ours was.

I doubt accumulations last very long in Durham.

Of course, we could always use actual figures and stats rather than anecdote and subjective memory to decide where gets most snow and for what places it tends to last.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I think the main band is going to be more to the east of me, so I'm calling it a day. Hopefully this is the start of one those 'good' winters we all look back on. Anything approaching 2010 will do me smile.png

You'll still get something, its just likely to be a little lighter and more patchy.

Posted

Of course, we could always use actual figures and stats rather than anecdote and subjective memory to decide where gets most snow and for what places it tends to last.

I shouldn't go on though since I live 2 miles away from 500m asl ... therefore there is no point in me going on ...

As you were though, there is no question my nearest city (Manchester) receives much less snowfall than Durham ... thankfully I do benefit from altitude. :)

Posted

Nowhere near the longest or most but for BD11..

18th Dec 09 - 30 days cover - 29cm max depth (6th Jan 10)

26th Nov 10 - 25 days cover (just held on for the northerly) - 23cm max depth (2nd Dec 10)

Posted

Calling it a night - everything is coated in ice, lethal conditions anyone travelling overnight and with temps staying below freezing well into the morning it will take a long time for the ice to clear.. on many country roads under shade expect the ice to stick all day tomorrow..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

You'll still get something, its just likely to be a little lighter and more patchy.

Im not sure PPN is going to be a problem, PPN type is going to be the stumbling block, its nearly here now according to the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In Cleadon in Tyne and Wear I didn't record a single snowless season from 1993-2012 inclusive in terms of snow lying, but 1999/2000 had only one occurrence of >50% snow cover, on the 16th/17th February. There have been a fair number of seasons with just a few days of thin snow cover- 1997/98, 2004/05, 2006/07, 2007/08 and 2011/12.

I've looked at stats for nearby sites further back and it appears that there has been no winter devoid of snow cover in the Tyne and Wear area, even along coastal fringes, since at least the 1970s. The generally snowless winter of 1991/92 had brief accumulations of snow on the 20th December and also in mid-February, including coastal areas. 1988/89 had 3 or 4 days of lying snow in November in most parts of the region, and 1989/90 had a few short-lived snow events.

Meanwhile the precipitation is closing in on Sandhutton but the heavy stuff looks like it's at least an hour away- just light stuff showing on the radar for the next hour.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

2009-10 for Saddleworth Moor/Holme Moss/Wessendhead Moor had the greatest amount of snow lying days, 2010-11 was way way behind mainly due to the mild end to January and February.

Posted

First snow of the winter here... 27 minutes into the winter.

It is quite a fitting day for it.

Posted

2009-10 for Saddleworth Moor/Holme Moss/Wessendhead Moor had the greatest amount of snow lying days, 2010-11 was way way behind mainly due to the mild end to January and February.

Wished i would have been living here for 09/10

Posted

Wished i would have been living here for 09/10

2008-09 was also comparable to both ...

February 2009 was similar to December 2009 in many ways in terms of the overall length of the cold spell and peak snow depth (of course, December 2009 was quickly followed by something twice as intense)!!

January 2010 saw the A635 (Greenfield - Holmefirth) closed for a total of 3 weeks and 2 days, and the A672 (Denshaw to Junction 22) closed for about 1 week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Not long until the precipitation reaches here going by the 5 minute radar.. will only be light, but will be interesting to see what falls.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Looks like I might have an interesting train journey in the morning, leaving Nottingham at 05:20 heading to Newcastle via Chesterfield.

Just a shame my mam probably won't be able to get to Newcastle from Stanley to pick me up!

If I get any decent pics while I'm on the train I'll try to share them on here if that's possible on my mobile.

It's been a while since I posted on here, but it's nice to be back, hope everyone is ok and hope you all get what you want :)

Posted

2008-09 was also comparable to both ...

February 2009 was similar to December 2009 in many ways in terms of the overall length of the cold spell and peak snow depth (of course, December 2009 was quickly followed by something twice as intense)!!

January 2010 saw the A635 (Greenfield - Holmefirth) closed for a total of 3 weeks and 2 days, and the A672 (Denshaw to Junction 22) closed for about 1 week.

I bet the A62 Scouthead and the A669 Lydgate were non to shoddy in terms of some nice drifts either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

2008/09 had a much greater emphasis on marginal snow events, so while some inland and upland areas had a comparably snowy winter to 2009/10 and 2010/11, most coastal areas were restricted to only short-lived thin coverings.

Meanwhile, looks like I might not actually see much precipitation tonight- the heavier stuff is thinning out from the west.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

I bet the A62 Scouthead and the A669 Lydgate were non to shoddy in terms of some nice drifts either.

The April snowfall of 2012 brought incredible drifting to Scouthead as you may remember, this happens usually.

Lydgate on the other hand looks more like Val D'isere in the Winter after a heavy snowfall with a bit of wind with it!

I forget how lucky it actually is to live here ...

2008/09 had a much greater emphasis on marginal snow events, so while some inland and upland areas had a comparably snowy winter to 2009/10 and 2010/11, most coastal areas were restricted to only short-lived thin coverings.

Meanwhile, looks like I might not actually see much precipitation tonight- the heavier stuff is thinning out from the west.

I forget how marginal 2008-09 really was, it is amazing how different some members have views on that particular winter. Some say it was an almost non event.

Of course, if I lived just 7 miles away in Manchester, it would immediately wipe out December 08 and the many brief incursions we had in January 09.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

looking at the radar, the precipitation should be knocking on my door any minute now.

what will it be is anyones guess but it's currently at -1c so wet or white its going to be slippy.

Posted

The April snowfall of 2012 brought incredible drifting to Scouthead as you may remember, this happens usually.

Lydgate on the other hand looks more like Val D'isere in the Winter after a heavy snowfall with a bit of wind with it!

I forget how lucky it actually is to live here ...

Oh no,i would have walked up if i had known, we got a bit of a pasting but it had started to melt, i heard the roads were closed but i thought that was because of trees falling as well!

Posted

looking at the radar, the precipitation should be knocking on my door any minute now.

what will it be is anyones guess but it's currently at -1c so wet or white its going to be slippy.

Snow for you IMO at 300m.