Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Sleety mix coming into parts of Oldham now but very small area. Think it's sleet/snow on m62 summit traffic cam.

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything really

True, see what it shows in the next. 72hrs! Hopefully 2010 repeat in the terms of snow

IMO, for us in Oldham, December 2009 and January 2010 were a thousand times better than December 2010.

Posted

Been in London today and got back to Doncaster station around 8.30. Uneventful drive until reaching the Wolds at Market Weighton where the road had just been heavily salted. Snow shower on top of the Wolds and another running into Driffield, then back onto the hills heading North on the Scarborough road into slush on the road all the way down into the village and we have a very wet slushy cover here, the third this month, though only one official cover. Shower just approaching us now, so I'll just have a quick lamp post check. Light snow, but this shower hasn't got much oomph.

Lot's of dripping outside so unless we get some more can't see this hanging on til morning, but not a breath of wind so any showers might linger. Currently 0.5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Caught up now, judging by the Meto PPN forecast, i doubt we will see anything once that little band has cleared, gonna get up for cricket anyway so i will be up if there is.

Posted

Caught up now, judging by the Meto PPN forecast, i doubt we will see anything once that little band has cleared, gonna get up for cricket anyway so i will be up if there is.

It all depends on what that little band can do though.

Posted

IMO, for us in Oldham, December 2009 and January 2010 were a thousand times better than December 2010.

Yes, i was in Salford 09/10 and here 10/11, wish i could have swapped because although 09/10 was still my best since 95/96, it was so much more in Saddleworth, whereas Dec 10 was not really different in Manchester to Saddleworth apart from being much colder in Saddleworth.

It all depends on what that little band can do though.

true, although its really thin, not sure much intensification will occur but you never know i suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

1.9c / 0.9c night all alarm set for half 5 i must be mad

Posted

Yes, i was in Salford 09/10 and here 10/11, wish i could have swapped because although 09/10 was still my best since 95/96, it was so much more in Saddleworth, whereas Dec 10 was not really different in Manchester to Saddleworth apart from being much colder in Saddleworth.

true, although its really thin, not sure much intensification will occur but you never know i suppose.

You're very right about that, I must remember December 2010 was very dry and I remember December 2009 being very very wet (of course, the wet was all pretty much snow).

In fact, to put it in perspective, Thursday 17th (2009), 18th, 19th, 20th, 22nd, 24th, and 25th all had snow recorded with the 17th (Thursday evening), 19th (Saturday evening, night), 21st (Sunday, daytime) and 22nd (Tuesday, morning) all recording some notable extremes of snowfall lasting hours.

On the other hand, January 2010 (too my very little knowledge ... I have all but forgotten about this cold snap now) saw something like overnight snow on 30th November (2010) and morning/early afternoon snow on something like 2nd December ... other than the light snow around mid month there was nothing.

Posted

You're very right about that, I must remember December 2010 was very dry and I remember December 2009 being very very wet (of course, the wet was all pretty much snow).

In fact, to put it in perspective, Thursday 17th (2009), 18th, 19th, 20th, 22nd, 24th, and 25th all had snow recorded with the 17th (Thursday evening), 19th (Saturday evening, night), 21st (Sunday, daytime) and 22nd (Tuesday, morning) all recording some notable extremes of snowfall lasting hours.

On the other hand, January 2010 (too my very little knowledge ... I have all but forgotten about this cold snap now) saw something like overnight snow on 30th November (2010) and morning/early afternoon snow on something like 2nd December ... other than the light snow around mid month there was nothing.

I remember that distinctly because the talksport night show with Adrian Goldberg turned from an immigration / EDL / religious debate into a 'im stuck on the Mx and not moved a mile in 5 hours' weather report phone in, i got some sleet on the saturday in Salford but didnt get any snow until the sunday '1 inch but the next month i saw quite a bit culminating in a 6 inch fall on Jan the 5th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Been in London today and got back to Doncaster station around 8.30. Uneventful drive until reaching the Wolds at Market Weighton where the road had just been heavily salted. Snow shower on top of the Wolds and another running into Driffield, then back onto the hills heading North on the Scarborough road into slush on the road all the way down into the village and we have a very wet slushy cover here, the third this month, though only one official cover. Shower just approaching us now, so I'll just have a quick lamp post check. Light snow, but this shower hasn't got much oomph.

Lot's of dripping outside so unless we get some more can't see this hanging on til morning, but not a breath of wind so any showers might linger. Currently 0.5c.

Light snow currently here also on other side of hill. Gonna be setting my alarm for around 2/3am to keep an eye on these badboys which could surprise me.

post-6447-0-85575400-1354664232_thumb.jp

I'm hoping that small kink in the isobar's will help to drive these shower's further SW over the next few hours.

Posted

Good luck all, im off to bed to dream about next weeks easterly coming off, lets hope this time next week that the North West thread and the Yorks / Pennines thread are up and running because that would mean a lot of posting which usually is a giveaway sign that a stonker is about to occur!! night.

Posted

I think really for my area and other eastern areas, the best risk for snow showers will be between 3AM - 9AM in that sort of timerange before winds back too NNW'ly.

Looking forward to Wednesday night though, could be some nice white scenes about with frost!

Posted

Could you add your location please to your status via the my settings page?

Maybe you could too Gavin, North East England is a big place lol Edited by snowmackem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

A few flurries here at the momentgood.gif

off topic but i am heading for the peak district in the morning,thermals at the ready,IT WILL BE COLD!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Thanks for posting that weathermaster, I've been watching that area as it is moving directly towards me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Occlusion moving in on York soon. If it falls as snow there (being low lying) it bodes well for other areas I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

How long would you estimate before the front arrives in merseyside CC?

Posted

How long would you estimate before the front arrives in merseyside CC?

About 4 am, don't know how much precipitation there will be though!

I'll be making a decision whether or not to stay up at about 3.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Doubt there will be much precipitation here let alone in Merseyside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

OK thanks will try and get a bit of sleep before 4 then.

Posted

Doubt there will be much precipitation here let alone in Merseyside.

Depends whether the precipitation bulks up. There has been a shower which has developed just to the west of Manchester recently, albeit light, so there is the potential for intensification I would say.

Posted

Something approaching Backtrack territory,though can't tell what it's falling as as don't have precipitype access.

Posted

Rain with a mixture of sleet it says.

Typical lol. I'm undecided as to whether to stay up for that front slipping down across parts of Lancs & Yorks atm