Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I beg to differ re the snow in Boro is is snowing now as I type but lightly..

Posted

Another one here lazy.gif

Then again, clear cold and frosty is a vast improvement on last winter - its a start. We need a cold NW feed as in 2009 and 2010. The good thing about those winters was the snow was at least shared round a bit. It looks like this time unless there is a change in wind direction the NW will be bone dry - as we are seeing today with all the posts of snow in the NE - we'd better get used to it.

Thing is though it isn't unusual when the wind comes from the lands across the pennines smile.png

Our chance will come when heights transfer over to Greenland, hopefully. Like you say though compared to last year it's a godsend, just don't go reading the other regional threads though.smiliz19.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I must be one of the few people who doesn't find the prospects of an Easterly all that exciting, without any undercutting most places in the West won't be seeing much in the way of any snow.

Such a moaner....if we get the pattern in we'll have shots at snowfall i.e more organised troughs in the flow moving west, attempted sw'ly incursions etc etc and what's more, if the flow becomes deep and sustained any snow that does fall is likely to stick around as we'll be around the shortest day!

Things would also start to freeze up pretty quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

All major operational models are now firming up on height rises to our west transferring to Scandi. Winter will soon make itself seen, and it'll enter in style.

Roaring Easterlies on the cards for the forseeable future, rubbish for us in the west, but all the fun & games take place in the east, so enjoy.

The worst of it is (if you can call it that), with fairly strong easterly winds, we would even struggle to see frost here, or much of it because of the wind.

No snow, no frost.. Northwest England especially the coastal areas, is a hole.

Posted

Such a moaner....if we get the pattern in we'll have shots at snowfall i.e more organised troughs in the flow moving west, attempted sw'ly incursions etc etc and what's more, if the flow becomes deep and sustained any snow that does fall is likely to stick around as we'll be around the shortest day!

Things would also start to freeze up pretty quickly.

It must be due to being a older and dare I say wiser CC, none of the Easterlies during the 80s produced anything for us, now for your locale that's not the case. By the way if I recall you was the biggest moaner on here during December 2010.

Now if we go back to 78/79 when we had repeated incursions from the SW, then that's a different matter.

Edited by Seven of Nine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

It must be due to being a older and dare I say wiser CC, none of the Easterlies during the 80s produced anything for us, now for your locale that's not the case. By the way if I recall you was the biggest moaner on here during December 2010.

You'd have been moaning in my position! blum.gif

Was getting sick of hearing about 8 inches here, a foot there whilst I looked out over my 3cm lol

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Now if we go back to 78/79 when we had repeated incursions from the SW, then that's a different matter.

Oh I remember the 78-79 winter really well, I was 15 at the time and used my dog (border collie) as a husky! great times, also my relatives who live in Whitehaven said they had a great snowfall back then, so it was grand for all..

Edit.. sorry to cheese all the westerners off but....its snowing heavily again here...

Edited by NL

Posted

A nice light covering here, probably only about a CM but considering when waking up this morning to nothing, I'll settle for it for sure!

Hopefully the snow on the ground can stick around tonight and we can get some clear skies overhead which may produce colder than forecast temperature, at least for the first part of the night.

Posted

At least the last few posts have taken my mind off the snow in the NE - good effort biggrin.png

I think looking at Stephen's posts there maybe a place that is actually more snowless and less frosty than Preston cool.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Classic wishbone today by the looks of it with the radar backing up what east coast members are saying.

What little shower activity there is down the western side of the UK is pretty well hugging the coast or heading in land further south than the North West region.

TBH i can't see that changing in a hurry so for much of Northern England especially those of us west of the Pennines it's looking like a cold dry day followed by a damn cold night tonight..

To those towards the east coast, enjoy and hopefully we'll all be joining in with you shortly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Me mate in Washington has just text to say it's snowing heavily there with large flakes of snow which is sticking to everything.

Posted

You'd have been moaning in my position! blum.gif

Was getting sick of hearing about 8 inches here, a foot there whilst I looked out over my 3cm lol

Sounds like a line from a carry on film.

Snow in sunderland but heavier in one half, very light on the other side of town.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Snow here in stockton was quite a heavy shower but didnt stick any more to come? is it likely to stick? thoughts please people

Posted

Snowing lightly atm, could be another heavier pulse on the way shortly coming from the North by the looks of things.

Although we got a light covering, it is thawing slightly between the showers though, so temps must be just creeping into plus 1C when its stop snowing but dropping down to 0C in any heavy snow showers and they have certainly been quite heavy with big chunky flakes!

Posted

The Dubai to Newcastle Boeing 777 has been flying around and around waiting for the opportunity to land http://www.flightradar24.com/

Hope it lands safely and here it comes around again..!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Snowing again at Stockton but no chance of it laying sadly. Temp FALL Pleasee and LAAYYYYY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

This talk about the North West region doing bad from an easterly is based purely on an IMBY perspective.

Yes as a whole the region does poorly from one unless it's a raging beast from the east which is rare to say the least and even if it does deliver,the NW will always be talking about a few inches of snow when those on the eastern side of the country talk in feet.

However the same can be said about a straight northerly which delivers next to sod all for anyone more than a couple of miles from the west coast and even a North Westerly which has this habit of dumping large amounts of snow south and west of a line from Blackpool to Derby but little north and east of that.

Not being overly critical here but once a Cheshire Gap streamer sets up, the Noth West suddenly becomes the snow capital of the hemisphere even though the majority of the region will tend to stay dry and lets face it, if yesterday evenings precipitation had been snow rather than rain and at best sleet, the lower ground to the west and south west of here would have ended up with far more than even the higher ground of the Pennines would.

From my point of view; even living in the highest town ASL in Lancashire, we are quite limited in directions from where good snow is possible and, other than tending to get frontal snow as and when it occurs; an easterly does sometimes deliver.

Hopefully this threatened wintry spell will become just that for all of the UK and not just the select few.

Posted

This talk about the North West region doing bad from an easterly is based purely on an IMBY perspective.

Yes as a whole the region does poorly from one unless it's a raging beast from the east which is rare to say the least and even if it does deliver,the NW will always be talking about a few inches of snow when those on the eastern side of the country talk in feet.

However the same can be said about a straight northerly which delivers next to sod all for anyone more than a couple of miles from the west coast and even a North Westerly which has this habit of dumping large amounts of snow south and west of a line from Blackpool to Derby but little north and east of that.

I have to agree some of my best snowfall have came from an easterly, and they were all suprise falls

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

At least the last few posts have taken my mind off the snow in the NE - good effort biggrin.png

I think looking at Stephen's posts there maybe a place that is actually more snowless and less frosty than Preston cool.png

Well im sat here seeing a few clouds edge over from Preston lol not sure if they have snow in them lol, although its clearing again but the bitter wind appears to be getting up.

Posted

Not being overly critical here but once a Cheshire Gap streamer sets up, the Noth West suddenly becomes the snow capital of the hemisphere even though the majority of the region will tend to stay dry and lets face it, if yesterday evenings precipitation had been snow rather than rain and at best sleet, the lower ground to the west and south west of here would have ended up with far more than even the higher ground of the Pennines would.

From my point of view; even living in the highest town ASL in Lancashire, we are quite limited in directions from where good snow is possible and, other than tending to get frontal snow as and when it occurs; an easterly does sometimes deliver.

Hopefully this threatened wintry spell will become just that for all of the UK and not just the select few.

It's jus something people have to get used to. Generally we see more north westerly type scenarios however this is often rain/sleet and snow compared to the east who are almost guaranteed snow should the wind come from that direction albeit less often. Alternatively you can live in the midlands and hope to get the scraps from whichever direction then be gutted when it dies out 10miles away