Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Well im sat here seeing a few clouds edge over from Preston lol not sure if they have snow in them lol, although its clearing again but the bitter wind appears to be getting up.

i saw a quite a few clouds coming from the north but I dont know whether it will bring snow or not. likely it will probably get dies to death anyway. Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Did anyone hear the thunder earlier? I am in Seaham and heard it while I was doing my class.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Huge 50p sized flakes coming down heavily so just on the right side of marginality right on the coast. That 777 still hasn't landed..!! been around at least 8 times, thought it would have been better to be diverted to Edinburgh.. hope it has plenty of fuel left as these showers are to continue for sometime yet..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The temperature is 2.8°C here with a DP of -2.9°C

Plenty of cloud starting to roll in now looks like further snow is coming

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Didn't last long but more to come maybe? hopefully heavier as well so it lays this time

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Yet there is hardly any lying so it was all pointless.

I'd just like to see some snow falling, and if it settles it would be a bonus.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm surprised at how widely snow is accumulating around South Shields despite temperatures above 1C- it must be to do with the intensity of the snowfall.

Nothing here at Sandhutton, some sleety stuff overnight and snow showers now passing just to the east of here. Days like this were to be expected with having moved further inland, although if we get anything similar to the post T+168 outputs from the GFS and ECMWF then we may well see the other side of the "coastal vs inland" coin with snow falling and lying readily here and struggling to lie for long at South Shields. It's still a big "if" at this stage though which is why I'm refusing to get too excited.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Did get our first flakes of definate snow of the winter, roughly between 4 and 6 am, about an hour of light to moderate snow, did not stick, the ground was to wet, we did get a really short spell of sleet on friday night i think it was but this was the first definate snow of the winter.

Posted

I'm surprised at how widely snow is accumulating around South Shields despite temperatures above 1C- it must be to do with the intensity of the snowfall.

Nothing here at Sandhutton, some sleety stuff overnight and snow showers now passing just to the east of here. Days like this were to be expected with having moved further inland, although if we get anything similar to the post T+168 outputs from the GFS and ECMWF then we may well see the other side of the "coastal vs inland" coin with snow falling and lying readily here and struggling to lie for long at South Shields. It's still a big "if" at this stage though which is why I'm refusing to get too excited.

I think the wind chill and cloudy conditions is helping with the laying snow Ian, because when the sun is out it is melting it away pretty sharply. Still, it feels bitter out there with a strong N/NW windchill is around -5..!!

Posted

'Torrential' snow showers here, 2" in about 30 minutes.

With wind swirling large flakes about, it was like being in a snow globe.

Edited by 4wd

Posted

Here in Seaton Sluice we have had snow fall since this morning, however it has mostly been short showers with sunny intervals but it goes extremely dark then lots of snow.... Very odd... Pepping up a little at the moment though clapping.gif

Edited by Emma Jayne Agar

Posted

'Torrential' snow showers here, 2" in about 30 minutes.

With wind swirling large flakes about, it was like being in a snow globe.

Any pics Colin?

You always do well for snow. good.gif

Posted

Just got back from Pickering where it was dry and sunny. Drove through heavy snow from Thornton Dale all the way back to Scarborough. Roads quite slushy.

A really nice covering here in Scarborough, presumably because of the intensity of the PPN because temp is 1.0C with Dew point of 0.8C.

Heres a couple of pics.

post-10637-0-37997900-1354711333_thumb.j

post-10637-0-92797900-1354711394_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

well nice to hear other places getting the white stuff, we got sunshine, lots of sunshine, mad.gif just want to see snow falling, I missed the light shower early hours this morning, but hoping I get to see some soon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

i saw a quite a few clouds coming from the north but I dont know whether it will bring snow or not. likely it will probably get dies to death anyway.

Lol well they looked like snowclouds as they came over the house! But not a flake lol, however it is bitterly cold in that wind chill.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

well nice to hear other places getting the white stuff, we got sunshine, lots of sunshine, mad.gif just want to see snow falling, I missed the light shower early hours this morning, but hoping I get to see some soon

I used to live in Barnsley, been back in lancs 6 months, my partner was still at our house over there 2009/2010 and it was bad!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Very heavy snow at times this morning but only 2cm lying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

And if either of the last 2 GFS runs verified with the low heights squeezing up, we could even get paggered on the West pennines, i always think an easterly is never complete without the low heights starting move North, the curve or even kink in the isobars, little features running westward is the ultimate goal, probably a bias as a result of always living well inland.

gfs-2012120500-0-276.png?0

gfs-2012120506-0-240.png?6

Feb 1991 anyone???

One slight criticism (I am a perfectionist when it comes to my love of the scandinavian high setups), i would like to see the -10 850hpa temps right across to the west and the -12c in the East and the -14 into the SE!!!

That really is nitpicking though!!!!

Posted

metoffice showing snow at my location overnight. could be the first realistic shot at seeing a snow flake this winter :D

nice to see so many others getting snow as well!

currently (2) and sunny

Posted

According to my closest weather station my dewpoint has rose above freezing, but snow is still falling heavily with no real apparent marginality, oh well! haha :)

Posted

Heaviest snow shower of the day hitting us now quite unbelievable (70's style) wind is howling and as 4wd has stated "just like being in a 'snowglobe'..!!