Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Longest break in the snow showers so far and the temperature remaining stable at 1C, though i would prefer if the dew point dropped back to freezing or below.

Next shower can't be too far away..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A brief shower penetrated to Sandhutton at last- started off as light snow and then turned to moderate graupel. Not heavy enough to cover the ground, but enough to make it a day of snow (and graupel) falling.

I'm not confident about getting much tomorrow as the last few frontal events have given no more than a slight dusting here, but you never know, as I remember Yorkshire (especially West Yorkshire) getting sizeable falls from fronts in the past (25th January 1995 and 31st December 2003 spring to mind).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Snow can't lay on wet ground can it??

Yes but it needs to be heavy and last longer than 2 minutes

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

A few minutes ago, it was far heavier at times.

Looks lovely up there 4wd. Hoping for a bit myself tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Snow can't lay on wet ground can it??

Snow can lie no matter how wet the ground is, as long as it is heavy enough and the temperature and humidity are low enough. However, wet ground makes snow less likely to settle in situations with marginal temperatures/humidity and light snowfall- this is true of non-frozen ground also.

Posted

Snow can lie no matter how wet the ground is, as long as it is heavy enough and the temperature and humidity are low enough. However, wet ground makes snow less likely to settle in situations with marginal temperatures/humidity and light snowfall- this is true of non-frozen ground also.

I remember a day in secondary school a few years ago where it snowed for hours but refused to lie, and the ground kept getting wetter and wetter, it was so frustrating! It must have been a situation where the temperature was well above freezing, and the ground too warm? But snow was still able to fall... annoying!

Don't have that problem today though haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Pouring with snow in Middlesbrough now think i might head up home early today from the office...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Yet another heavy snow shower in Newcastle - there is 4cm on the lawn outside, just enough to prevent the grass poking through.

This is much better than I expected when I left the house at 9am this morning, with no snow at all!

Looking at the radar this could be the last really heavy snow shower of the day, but I'm pretty happy with how today has turned out!

Edited by Alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

No snow lying here but its trying at last! heavy snow here but still not enough very frustrating

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Not layed i give up :( Any chance these showers can continue tonight please say yes?!

Posted

3cm on the car - it was clear 15 minutes ago!!!

Rooftops/roads/trees etc all white again, 7cm on the grass! This is an incredible downpour!

Edit: it's easing now, I think that could be my lot for the day.

Edit 2: It's starting up again!

Edited by Alza

Posted

Not layed i give up sad.png Any chance these showers can continue tonight please say yes?!

They look like dyeing away during the evening but that doesn't mean it won't snow

I wouldn't rule out some snow tomorrow the latest forecast from the beeb is showing rain for the NE but after all the Met Office failed to forecast the snow in the south this morning which is the 2nd time in 2 months they've got caught out

Posted

Such a shame all this will melt tomorrow :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

wind direction here is North-North-Easterly I can tell where the clouds going.

Posted

Such a shame all this will melt tomorrow sad.png

They'll be a good freeze overnight so in the shade it may hang on, -3c or -4c quite possible in the towns and city's in this part of the country country side could get down to -6c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Temperature is falling quite fast now as the sun drops.

Now 0.8c and looking like a frosty night is on the way.

As for Thursdays snow chances - quietly confident of some to add to my 2mm which still covers the shaded parts of the garden from last night.