Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

OTR perhaps we should set up some kinda 1hr on 1hr off lamppost watch rota.... Lorenzo I like the all night rave analogy reminds me of Carl cox mix in 1992 (I'm hitting to the beat once more jump around if u like a lot of deep snow.....deep cold it came from the artic .....we like that we don't like a Bartlett!!!!

Good stuff LS but almost impossible to predict I would say and always exciting to just lamppost watch although IMBY we normally miss out but perhaps this time we just benefitting being further east

Of course I will be lamposting - though I draw the line at impromptu weather rapping or the wearing of neon clothing.

Edited by over_the_rainbow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Ok, here's my initial map (subject to change in the next 2-3 hours and again after the 18Z).

Likin that rouge warnin there LS, what with me at 175 m alt tae.

T -2.0 / DP -3.4 C.

Can confirm sentries posted here at Fort SS.

Beer fridge stocked too (day off the morn) drinks.gif

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

GFS 12z is more keen on this run for snow tonight - http://www.netweathe...action=nwdc;nhc good.gif

Yes, suspect that the NMM might upgrade a little too since it seems to look more similar to the GFS than the NAE/UKMO output.

Very interesting period of weatherwatching ahead, that's for sure.

Now -0.2C here, dewpoint at -2.4C, cold air certainly appears to be very well embedded at surface level across the spine of the country. The front is just heading towards Na-h-Eileanan an Iar now, where dewpoints are already above 0C, and hence precipitation there looks likely to be rain, but an early test will be how Skye fares: dewpoints there are between 0C and -2C inland so it will be interesting to see how much they rise and whether they get above 0C.

What is the chances of snow in glasgow area tonight/ tomorow morning?

Decent chance it starts as snow, not a great chance it finishes off as snow by tomorrow morning. Certainly wouldn't rule out accumulations there but how long they hang around for is another matter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Welcome to net weather Glasgow snow. You've just found the best Scottish weather thread on the internet. Enjoy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Thanks for the update LS! I know on the map Alloa is in the orange, but does being at 18m ASL make a big difference here?

It could do, I mean it doesn't help matters but I think the biggest factor will be this:

post-9298-0-97840600-1354465562_thumb.gi

I call it the corridor of non-mountainous uncertainty.

Posted

Another cold looking sky at Dusk but I can already see the line of cloud associated with the system moving in from the west. Maximum temperature for far 2C. Hopefully some snow tonight to start the winter off with a bang in what has been a fantastic spell of seasonal, winter weather - and this week also looks like staying on the cold side.

There could be more snow this week aswell:

Tuesday night

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

Possibly early on Thursday

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

Maybe even later on Thursday

uksnowrisk.png

Possibly later on Friday

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

And next week could start be interesting to start with

h850t850eu.png

smiliz39.gif

Posted

Regardless of outcome a very measured take on things, LS - thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

T dropping quite fast here now the sun's gone down.

T -2.3 C / DP -4.5

Oh, and is that some sort o greenie high developing at T168 on the 12Z GFS?

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Any idea when the snow is expected to hit glasgow area?

Hmm, probably some time between 10pm and midnight looking at where the band is now on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Temp now down to 0.1. I don't expect any white stuff here, so those of you who get a decent dump....enjoy!

Posted

Latest NMM looks a bit better than the last one, similar to the NAE with leading edge snow for most but with a very definite north-south boundary setting up from midnight onwards right along the central belt. South of this only those with elevation like Moffatross and SS get snow, with Fife and Dundee very much in the sleet zone for a few hours (that could go either way still) before the risk starts to shift further north and east as morning approaches. Signs by the end of the run of the front moving south Tuesday afternoon/evening and that could certainly bring a further snow risk.

Posted

I'm 180m above sea level at the eastern edge of north lanarkshire, very close to the border with west lothian. We usually manage to scrape by on the right side of marginal so hoping for a couple of inches before it does or doesn't turn back to rain/sleet.

Only thing is, I'm heading up to Kincardine at 9pm tonight and I won't be back until friday afternoon, Hopefully have a nice wee drive home through a sea of white next week.

Posted

Having not been on here for some time, I've been on the MT a fair bit over the last few days. I'd forgotten how much drivel is on there. It's sooooooo confusing. One thread cold, next not, next comment cold, next not. Much more value reading the posts on here. Thanks for tonight's summary LS. Very hit and miss for myself, but there are sure to be some good pictures from others this time tomorrow.

Enjoy. SP33

Posted

Met Office forecasting light snow, sleet, and then heavy rain here. sorry.gif

Meanwhile, around 4 miles away from me is forecast heavy snow for 6 hours and then sleet. Just shows how marginal this is at the moment.

Edited by sn0wman

Posted

Oooohhhhh, lamppost checked, weather radar checked, might need a new advent calendar by the end of the night though!!!good.gif

29571_393406997406955_695440079_n.jpg

got vino and beers in too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

It'll probably be marginal anyway, but I have no idea why the metoffice persist with these absurd local forecasts. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen them forecast rain for Edinburgh but not Leith ... or rain forecast a few hours apart in each location. As usual the best place for local knowledge and forecasts continues to be this place !

Met Office forecasting light snow, sleet, and then heavy rain here. sorry.gif

Meanwhile, around 4 miles away from me is forecast heavy snow for 6 hours and then sleet. Just shows how marginal this is at the moment.

Posted

T still dropping here. -3.0 / DP -4.3 C.

-1.1/-3C here, pretty much stable at that now, but that's pretty low for my location, given we didn't even get an air frost last night.

Just a few more hours left to hold it sub zero...