Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 - Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Haven't looked at the CFS long range for a while i know many people see it as very unreliable but just wondering what it is showing for Jan/Feb at moment?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Haven't looked at the CFS long range for a while i know many people see it as very unreliable but just wondering what it is showing for Jan/Feb at moment?

On this latest run nothing of any promise until this in mid feb. zonal garbage throughout jan.

cfsnh-0-2028.png

Even this not a great chart in its own right but promising and a lot better than jan.

http://www.meteociel...=1&mode=0&run=4

cfsnh-0-2340.png?18

Then a rampant PV with faux cold at best through the rest of winter and early spring.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

So will I need to purchase any snow socks for this winter ? I'm all new too this are the charts suggesting a prolonged winter or just 2 weeks worth starting next week cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Just had a chat with my relative who works in the Railway, they use some very expensive and pretty accurate service for their weather and he has not had a warning for snow or cold come in. They only issue warnings for up to 7 days ahead and have to be confident before they do for obvious reasons.

Looks like we might have another week or so yet.

Posted

Eh? We had feet and feet of snow in Glasgow.

I am also somewhat puzzled by the post from Perfect Storm. We are practically neighbours and we had lots of snow that lay for most of the month during December. There was a mild(er) spell that gave rise to thaw mid-month and it also thawed just after Xmas, but I really am puzzling over how he can say that we had tiny snow amounts.

If only I had my weather records at work I could be more precise, but we definitely had more than 10 cm for quite some time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All Extremes

Looks like it is going to happen now, but for how long? and how cold? - We ill just have to wait and see...Hopefully very long, and very cold

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

I think people forget the mild spell in Dec 10, from 10th-16th, was a legendary month though, same may happen this year

remember it feeling very mild on the 14th

Are you sure it was mild that week, i picked the wrong week to have damproofing done in my house so had no heating and doors open whilst the 3 day job got done and that started on the Monday 13th December 2010, it was far from mild believe me :-)

Posted

Looks like it is going to happen now, but for how long? and how cold? - We ill just have to wait and see...Hopefully very long, and very cold

According to the GFS, Long and very!

Posted

Just had a chat with my relative who works in the Railway, they use some very expensive and pretty accurate service for their weather and he has not had a warning for snow or cold come in. They only issue warnings for up to 7 days ahead and have to be confident before they do for obvious reasons.

Looks like we might have another week or so yet.

I work and have done so for the last 10 years on the railway and have never heard of the expensive and accurate service. The only updates we do get comes from the meto itself and faxes containing the information are sent to each station where there is a risk of below freezing temperatures and or snow. From there we are directed to grit each station and especially over bridges ect.

Just further to add that we do not receive warnings for 7 days ahead we only receive faxes the day before or on the day itself.

Edited by london-snow

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Are you sure it was mild that week, i picked the wrong week to have damproofing done in my house so had no heating and doors open whilst the 3 day job got done and that started on the Monday 13th December 2010, it was far from mild believe me :-)

There was one pretty mild day where a lot of snow melted however the following days were sufficiently cold that i made it through to the second cold spell with a partial snow cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Hey mate, don't want to go to into it as a public forum but he just forwarded me the email, its something from a private company, not sure why his department get it but they do, generally its almost always right, last 3 years he has always told me about the snow and been spot on.

Posted

Hey mate, don't want to go to into it as a public forum but he just forwarded me the email, its something from a private company, not sure why his department get it but they do, generally its almost always right, last 3 years he has always told me about the snow and been spot on.

Hi,

I'm not questioning you am however just saying that is how its worked in my company for the last 10 years and possibly further before that. smile.png

Posted

According to the GFS, Long and very!

Let's hope that is correct then.

Posted

Should check out http://www.gavsweathervids.com/ he does frequent videos on the coming days and is also getting pretty excited about this cold spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

I didnt know where the suitable topic to post this but i have agreed here as there's alot following this topic and my question(s):

What in term of snow depth was better December/January 2009/10 or Nov/Dec 2010?

And also does anyone know what the Central Belt (Glasgow Area) received in both years, i have feeling 2010 was better but not 2 sure.

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Hi guys, I notice that the real cold on the gfs doesn't see ever reach the south. What uppers would be good for snow down south? I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Posted

I didnt know where the suitable topic to post this but i have agreed here as there's alot following this topic and my question(s):

What in term of snow depth was better December/January 2009/10 or Nov/Dec 2010?

And also does anyone know what the Central Belt (Glasgow Area) received in both years, i have feeling 2010 was better but not 2 sure.

Thanks.

Think December 2010 was worse overall for the UK for snow, I know in Glasgow the snow depth varied but there was over a foot widely with some places getting a lot more. Don't know any figures but December 2010 was legendary.

Posted

In my neck of the woods Jan 2010 was far better for snow than Dec 2010, it also produced lower minima. As I work outdoors my memory of Jan 2010 was charging through about a foot of snow, my memory of Dec 2010 was constantly landing on my backside from ice under a thin level of snow...and that was with chains on my boots!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

December 10 was the best for Orpington , south east london , we were blasted by the thames streamers and had around 20 inches between nov 30 and dec 3 , in 2009/10 we had a similar setup but with more of a southeasterly flow, but we only managed 13 inches then .

Posted

guys how cold will it be in London and the home counties (Surrey etc) as i live down here and love the cold, but don't know what to expect with this upcoming cold spell and will we get any snow or is it too early to say?

Posted

charts may be exciting to view right now, but you go out next week on the street and walk in that raw cold wind, you will soon hate it

the 850's are not cold enough for snow, so next week will be a nuisance. give me mild zonal any day over crap dry, cloudy, raw easterlies

its easy to sit in your nice warm house and look at the charts for next week and say at least we don't have zonal crap, but you go out in that raw weather next week, its horrid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Hi guys, I notice that the real cold on the gfs doesn't see ever reach the south. What uppers would be good for snow down south? I don't really know what I'm looking for.

-5 usually, but it'll also snow if you have ppn bumping into cold surface air coming from the near continent.

guys how cold will it be in London and the home counties (Surrey etc) as i live down here and love the cold, but don't know what to expect with this upcoming cold spell and will we get any snow or is it too early to say?

The pattern is still evolving but it is gradually turning colder... how cold?... Nobody knows yet.

Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.

This video was taken on 1st December 2010, not sure by who but the start of it is just round the corner from here and was just the start of what was to come. So if we get as much next week as in the video then I would settle for that