Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion: 12Z (20/11/12) And On...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fresh n Funky

Perhaps you'd prefer this kind of setup?

http://www.wetterzen...00120111128.gif

The projected synoptics are rare, especially at this time of year, my advise would be to enjoy them while you can and hope they verify in one form or another if they do the forecasts will be full of wintry conditions

LOL! There really are some pessimistic, miserable buggers out there. It could be -20 outside with 2 feet of snow on the ground and they'd be moaning and whining about poor synoptics and talking about a breakdown progged at 1000hrs.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Extremely impressive run synoptically from the ECWMF with the cold uppers breaking through at day 9 (a day behind GFS and JMA).

My personal expectation past day 10 from the ECWMF would be for the Atlantic High to amplify west of the UK and conglomerate with the Arctic High between Svalbard and Greenland so certainly no danger in my opinion of the pattern sinking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

I never said anything was nailed.

My point is we rarely see such good charts, yes it may not be Siberian air. But it's cold enough to produce snow during the later part of next week.

As always we will always have members picking out a negative outcome before its even begun

Fair point. However, just because someone points out the possible risks of where a breakdown could occur doesn't mean they are being negative. Much in the same way a cold evolution can be plucked from a seemingly mild outlook (straw clutching so to speak). I'm sure most would agree.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Good evening. Here is the latest report of the 12z output from GFS, UKMO and ECM for today Wednesday November 21st 2012

All models continue to show very disturbed conditions over the UK for the coming 5 or 6 days. Low pressure areas innitially to the NW with further centres moving up from the SW over the weekend will maintain flood alerts over the UK as well as strong winds at times. By Monday the Low pressures will move down towards the South of the UK with continuing rainfall coupled by lower temperatures by then.

GFS then shows Low pressure anchoring to the SE of the UK with an increasingly cold and bleak NE wind driving down over the UK with rain, sleet and snow in many places through the middle days of the week. Things improve only slowly through the end of the week and weekend as Low pressure to the East weakens and the Northerly flow weakens in response to a weak ridge moving down from the North. After several days of a further mix of wintry precipitation drier conditions develop from the North though still cold with a frost risk developing by night. Towards the end of FI things moderate dramatically after a spell of less cold but strong NW then West winds things turn much milder as very mild air seeps North over the UK with rain for the North and West in a light Southerly flow at the end of the run.

The GFS Ensembles show a cold spell on the way with uppers falling below the long term mean by several degrees throughout the run after the weekend. the weather looks like staying unsettled with rain or possibly sleet or snow in places at times. The operational was as expected a wild mild outlier at the end of the run.

The Jet Stream shows the flow currently running NE over the UK ridging high over the North Atlantic before turning South over Ireland before turning East over Southern Europe in a week's time.

UKMO for midday on Tuesday shows Low pressure over Southern France with a cold and windy NE flow over the UK. Southern areas in particular will still be at risk of rain or possibly sleet on the hills while the best of any drier weather will occur over the far North close to a High pressure belt centred in a belt from Iceland to Northern Scandinavia.

ECM shows a similar synoptic pattern with Low pressure just to the South of Britain and an increasingly cold, strong, raw and dull airflow over the UK with rain or sleet persistent at times through the middle and end of the week. The run ends with a distinctly wintry prospect as bitter uppers approach from the NE with snow, sleet and strong winds turning things potentially very nasty late next week should it verify.

In Summary the weather will be turning colder after the next 3-4 very wet and potentially newsworthy days have passed. In essence the weather looks very disturbed next week too though with Low pressure to the South and High pressure to the North the implications on temperatures and the feel of things at the surface couldn't be more different. A strong NE flow looks likely with rain and sleet for many with the chance of snow increasing with time as uppers continue to fall slowly. ECM hints at a major wintry blast to end next week and just goes to show what can quickly develop when the pressure patterns set theirselves up in the correct place.

Posted

http://modeles.meteo...nh-0-234.png?12

no chance of a sinker from this right ?

shame its only the BOM how much credit does it have ?

Not much, but a nice chart all the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

To echo the voices of Crewe Cold et al about caution.

Level headedness is crucial but as always the output will change , I suspect upgrades on arrival and depth of cold and also longevity as we get nearer.

Please dont jump on more experienced members' backs who are urging caution, after all they are the ones that keep the synergy of knowledge and realism ticking in this thread whilst also supporting some excitement!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

NCEP Chart Update.

Hows this for cross polar ridging

post-7073-0-85707900-1353528917_thumb.gi

not much sign of a breakdown there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Don't want to derail anything here should I warn people about next week yet or not I like to give people a heads up view.

(not for snow just saying it could get cold with POSSIBLE snow)

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I think that it is possible to both enjoy the synoptic output and still be cautious.

That's what I am doing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

WOW can't believe the upgrade in the last 24 hours, the ecm charts tonight look so similar to some we had in december 2010, imagine another 100 year event just 2 years after the last one, it would be totally EPIC, it's impossible not to ramp things up with charts like this, I would like us to tap into those purples over norwayyahoo.gifcold.gifdrunk.gif

post-4783-0-07050800-1353529228_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fresh n Funky

http://modeles.meteo...nh-0-234.png?12

no chance of a sinker from this right ?

shame its only the BOM how much credit does it have ?

Yum! The BOM is being a real tart with these sexy charts. I'll need to take a cold shower if it goes on like that. good.gifgood.gifgood.gifgood.gifgood.gifgood.gifgood.gifgood.gifgood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,blizzards and storms

First post in this thread so please be gentle! The NCEP chart posted above by Daniel doesn't appear to show a sinker and this goes into early December. Think as has previously been suggested by John et al these are probably better tools to use at this range?

Posted

NCEP Chart Update.

Hows this for cross polar ridging

post-7073-0-85707900-1353528917_thumb.gi

This is a better tool than looking at the operational outputs in FI.

For those who have been following GP's posts thats more inline with the expected pattern than tonights ECM operational output.

Theres still a good chance of some colder uppers into the UK with some snow before retrogression so if things fall right you get the best of both worlds.

For longevity you do need to see that type of pattern, historically all the best cold spells have a fluidity to the blocking with Greenland high, some flattening of the ridge with an easterly on the southern flank then back to Greenland.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I think that it is possible to both enjoy the synoptic output and still be cautious.

That's what I am doing!

I think your garden hose will freeze up if the ecm 12z verifies chiogood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Yet again another good day modell watching ,id say brilliant , but signs of the Prozack bottle syndrome creeping in . the weather going by todays charts and data will be making headlines for quite a while . lets all get in a time machine and go back to some epick winters .nothing realy changes except today we are more advanced with computer modells etc .lets arrive say JAN 24TH 1963 ,BITTER, But looking at todays modell output back in 1963 the modells are saying that an area of high pressure to our north will collapse south in about 4 days ,allowing the Atlantic back in , well it did but then a new high took charge . the rest is history .enjoy todays modells im looking foreward to tonights MET Fax ,and of course tonights GFS spot the difference ,cheers drinks.gif

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

WOW can't believe the upgrade in the last 24 hours, the ecm charts tonight look so similar to some we had in december 2010, imagine another 100 year event just 2 years after the last one, it would be totally EPIC, it's impossible not to ramp things up with charts like this, I would like us to tap into those purples over norwayyahoo.gifcold.gifdrunk.gif

Yes Frosty, who would of thought.. amazing chart's tonight. Let's see what the GFS has to offer clapping.gifyahoo.gif

EDIT - cold.gif

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

http://www.meteociel...?mode=2&ech=204

slowly get a little hopeful for the end of nov to the first week of dec for some cold weather and possible white stuff at the momentcold.gif

Edited by tinybill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

First post in this thread so please be gentle! The NCEP chart posted above by Daniel doesn't appear to show a sinker and this goes into early December. Think as has previously been suggested by John et al these are probably better tools to use at this range?

Definitely agree, these 500mb anomaly charts I really like and are a much better indicator imo of a pattern change than anything else at mid-range. (Although in this case it is now inevitable that a pattern change will occur)

It is now a matter of detail, which we really can only start to grasp like 5 days ahead, or in these sorts of set ups, more like 1-3 days (esp in terms of cold and snow detail)

But yes I am thrilled by the ECM output tonight like everyone else on this thread haha! smiliz19.gif

Posted

Fair point. However, just because someone points out the possible risks of where a breakdown could occur doesn't mean they are being negative. Much in the same way a cold evolution can be plucked from a seemingly mild outlook (straw clutching so to speak). I'm sure most would agree.

Agreed, but even still with amazing charts like this, that we wait and wait and wait and wait to appear, we still have talk of breakdowns in la la land

It's not needed.. Yes it will breakdown we all realise that, but I personally don't concentrate on anything 7 days out because it will 100% change.

All I know is that next week is turning colder and with charts like that I for one think its absurd that anyone would moan about them or find breakdowns way out in FI...

Just look at at 2010 - every run delayed the breakdown - and delayed and delayed.

Once a block like what is being shown has formed it is very hard for the zonal train to return, so my point about talking break downs is just a little premature, considering the cold spell hasn't even started/ we have no clue about the intensity or duration.

I mean you may not even have to worry about a breakdown because there will be nothing there to breakdown ;-)

Edited by Dexter29

Posted

Decent ECM ensemble charts, with heights reaching greenland, unlike the operational:

EDH1-240.GIF?21-0