Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 12z 27/11/2012

phil nw.

Posted

Yes the beginning of characteristics of a SW slipping SE I think?

Yes but look at the next little complication with that residual energy left to the north, we need rid of this aswell. Overall this was far too nerve wracking with that shortwave taking an age to sink south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I can almost taste those -15's so close yet so far!! http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1082.png!! A little more robust blocking to our north and that pesky shortwave further south and bingo, this is close to being quite special!! -15's over a warm north sea we all know what that means

That ship has sailed now. I'm more interested in SE diving shortwaves against an increasingly cold slab of air just to our east.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Ok this is okay so far but take a look at that shortwave to the se of Iceland at 126hrs this needs to get nuked.

What this does is stop the ridge from extending further west and allows the low to edge east for a while, without that the track would be more se.

Posted

I can almost taste those -15's so close yet so far!! http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1082.png!! A little more robust blocking to our north and that pesky shortwave further south and bingo, this is close to being quite special!! -15's over a warm north sea we all know what that means

Thats not going to happen YET!

Remember the bitterly cold E,lys always were unlikely as I suggested a few days ago. Our best chance of pulling in those very cold E,lys is for the the blocking to remain to our N and the LP in the Altantic sliding SE. This opportunity may present itself around the 5th Dec in future model outputs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Just a reminder of John H`s latest analysis of the Upper Air charts also copied into the technical thread.

the review of the 500 mb charts and their predictions over the last 4-5 days for next week

pdf.gif review of 500mb outputs nov 28 2012.pdf 588.17K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Thats not going to happen YET!

Remember the bitterly cold E,lys always were unlikely as I suggested a few days ago. Our best chance of pulling in those very cold E,lys is for the the blocking to remain to our N and the LP in the Altantic sliding SE. This opportunity may present itself around the 5th Dec in future model outputs.

yeah ive got to give up on those initial -15's no point flogging a dead horse i suppose and the time period around the 5th also ties in with GP's winter forecast of a cold period setting in round early to mid december, onwards and upwards I suppose!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Although the reliable timeframe is still uncertain the 06z run and this run have shown low pressure in the Atlantic bringing warm southerly winds at 144hrs. Despite this the overall NH pattern still looks good with the PV split.h500slp.png

post-17320-0-64095500-1354033432_thumb.p

Edited by panayiotis

Posted

Although the reliable timeframe is still uncertain the 06z run and this run have shown low pressure in the Atlantic bringing warm southerly winds at 144hrs.h500slp.png

That chart doesn't show warm southerly winds. It's actually close to an undercut and CAA from the east. The LP is just too well formed and situated too far north for us to benefit from that scenario though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Now that is a heck of a cold pool to our north east if we can tap into that http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1562.png!! On reflection TEITS i would say more like the 8th-10th for some proper cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Not a bad run in the reliable time frame still plenty of snow chances although it looks like elevated area's in the North may be most beneficial. If we can get that colder air further west and the angle of attack from the Atlantic slighter further south then it's game on, and it wouldn't take much tweaking for this to happen.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Although the reliable timeframe is still uncertain the 06z run and this run have shown low pressure in the Atlantic bringing warm southerly winds at 144hrs. Despite this the overall NH pattern still looks good with the PV split.h500slp.png

Maybe in Cardiff - but away from thesouth and west the temperatures don't get above 5C

Posted

That chart doesn't show warm southerly winds. It's actually close to an undercut and CAA from the east. The LP is just too well formed and situated too far north for us to benefit from that scenario though.

I can see your point, but if look at the uppers...

post-17320-0-27854500-1354033558_thumb.p

Posted

Attempt two to initiate here I think....

h500slp.png

The high over North Atlantic should start to build north at this point on this run. The pathway to Greenland looks clear to me.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Now that is a heck of a cold pool to our north east if we can tap into that http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1562.png!! On reflection TEITS i would say more like the 8th-10th for some proper cold

Yes - even if the slider low does introduce some milder air (not certain yet), if we get the ridging in the Atlantic behind it, then the floodgates could well open properly.

Edited by beng

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Surprised no one's noticed the heights building in the mid Atlantic towards Greenland with a more amplified upstream pattern:

gfsnh-0-168.png?12

FI of course, but quite promising all the same...

Posted

Some serious cold building to our Northeast.

If we do get a 2nd bite of the cherry and pick up a Northeasterly wind my God will it be bitter!!

We would likely see record breaking cold

Posted

Do you think so?? for me a newb, those "southerlies" dont originate from somewhere warm but are rotating round a complex low situation and will hardly be warm, but what do i know :)

Posted

Maybe in Cardiff - but away from thesouth and west the temperatures don't get above 5C

Yes sorry I was a biased to my location. Edited by panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Good to see low being pushed back west at 186h, the low resolution will probably have none of it but a good sign. A very similar run than we have for a number of days for down here, so it's good to see something interesting coming into the nearer time frame.