Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 12z 30/11/2012

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A brand new thread in time for the 12z outputs and on the eve of the Meteorological Winter too.

Usual requests-please keep to the subject matter and show respect for differing opinions.

If you disagree with another post then please refer to the model output to support your view.

Any moaning or ranting posts in this thread are liable to disappear.

Just a reminder there are other threads for general chat or opinions- including the moaning thread for the glass half empty approach and, at the other end of the spectrum, a ramping thread.

http://forum.netweat...ng-winter-chat/

http://forum.netweat...moaning-thread/

http://forum.netweat...ramping-thread/

Away we go then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Just to underline the continuing generally cold outlook here are the Dutch and London Ens Graphs from the 00z outputs showing the expected 2mtr.temperatures.

post-2026-0-56459900-1354284636_thumb.pnpost-2026-0-33151600-1354284657_thumb.gi

a brief milder spell around Monday and then cold again.I dare say some UK locations will see some lower readings than London,especially further north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Dammit! I hate it when you finish your post only to see one that's crept in before it to say the thread will be soon locked! so here goes again...

Looking through the latest GFS run, there are some amazing looking charts, of the type I suspect are rarely seen.

While there's a lot to be encouraged about, I really don't see the signs of prolonged cold spells, but rather intermittent bursts.....still a vast improvement on some years ago.

I can't help thinking that the models now are bearing out what some were saying a month ago. Both those who were saying that everything looks set for a classic winter, and those who were exercising caution because the UK might just be in the wrong position to benefit from all the positive stuff going on in the background.

Just a shift of a few hundred yards east or west makes a hell of a lot of difference to us. To me its no wonder the models fluctuate so much, especially when I imagine the kind of set up we have now is one for which precious little experience would have been factored into the programming

I'm fascinated to see what difference at T120 there will be between the 06z and the upcoming 12z and if the fluctuation continues.....i suspect it will be fairly considerable....

airpressure.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The latest GEFS 06z mean and ECM 00z ens mean show a trend to more settled weather from T+240 hours onwards, the ecm is more progressive towards this outcome whereas the gefs hangs on to the cold troughing over the uk for a few days longer, both agree on a cold snap during the second half of next week with sleet and snow showers pushing south on a strong NEly arctic flow with frosts returning after a less cold/milder interlude early next week. So, next week becomes cold/v.cold again but from the end of next week onwards, it looks like pressure will be rising from the southwest and the east, the two anticyclones will probably then join forces and the uk would then become settled, cold and frosty with freezing fog. The pressure rise on the ens mean output is very much the forward thinking of the latest metoffice 16-30 day update with cold and frosty weather and with any ppn more likely to be of snow in that period, so that could mean a northerly with mid atlantic high or snow showers to the east with a blast from russia, just how I see things.

post-4783-0-40026000-1354288024_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-46428200-1354288041_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-55866000-1354288059_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-51378000-1354288075_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-04446200-1354288092_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-87052400-1354288107_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-46740800-1354288125_thumb.gi

Edited by Frosty039

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

on the models some of them have that warmer segment with the front on sunday night monday morning in different places some have it slightly more north than others if that warm segment misses scotland with that front is there a chance that front will fall as snow in scotland and not turn back to rain or are the conditions just not there for that

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Methuselah, November 30, 2012 - Wrong thread...
Hidden by Methuselah, November 30, 2012 - Wrong thread...

Met Office:

UK Outlook for Saturday 15 Dec 2012 to Saturday 29 Dec 2012:

Temperatures by both day and night are most likely to be below average during this period, with a greater incidence of overnight frost and, at times, fog or freezing fog. The signal for rain and snowfall amounts during this period shows a high degree of uncertainty, however, on balance, slightly drier conditions compared to average are favoured for most of the UK. Even though there is a drier-than-average signal for much of the UK, where precipitation does occur, there is a greater chance that it will fall as snow compared to normal.

Updated: 1218 on Fri 30 Nov 2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

One last look at the 06z before the 12z fun begins....

Considering what has gone on - encouraged by this for the 3rd if you are lucky to have the altitude in Scotland the Pennines East Cumbria and N Yorks.

post-6879-0-76070200-1354288933_thumb.pn

Did somone mention an event for next Thursday - as I am struggling to see one.

Ian IAC

Edited by Iceaxecrampon

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

After looking at all the models lately we are certainly in a great position for a proper cold spell and it really does look as if it will come from the north, north east. There are also no signs in the models that I can see of mild air pumping into europe or any azores high's. Checking the snow cover across europe it's very much on an increase over last year so that will take some shifting, I'm glad we didn't have that cold spell in earler nov as it's a far better chance of giving us a real bite in december.

You can also factor in for those that believe in that sort of thing, increased berries on the bushes, nearly the same amount of waxwings as in 2010.

We also didn't have any french imports and throughout this year the jet stream has been alot further south, I can't even remember us having a hot summer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

In six hours the difference with the tropical low by T114:

12z: http://cdn.nwstatic....114/h500slp.png

06z: http://cdn.nwstatic....120/h500slp.png

This has disrupted the jet, 12z: http://cdn.nwstatic..../114/hgt300.png

06z: http://cdn.nwstatic..../120/hgt300.png

Which may have knock on effects for the ridging and trough. Off course it looks like Bullseye UK for that storm, so short term a lot of rain and milder air edging our way? But better in the medium term.

Cold attacked by mild: http://cdn.nwstatic..../h850t850eu.png

Differences by T147, 12z: http://cdn.nwstatic....147/h500slp.png

06z: http://cdn.nwstatic....153/h500slp.png

When is FI with these types of changes?

Edited by i'm dreaming of...

Posted

http://modeles.meteo...nh-0-114.png?12

Better ridge thrown to Eastern Iceland- could be perfect positioning on this run.. CMON ON!

S

look at that low though, it doesn't stall and die, mid-atlantic, like the 06z - could be interesting!

h850t850eu.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

look at that low though, it doesn't stall and die, mid-atlantic, like the 06z - could be interesting!

h850t850eu.png

Is this a good thing?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Is this a good thing?

Yes! it'll keep heights low over Europe....Much better scenario being shown than last night when the ridge was shunted into Europe ahead of the low.

Posted

Is this a good thing?

don't know yet but it just shows how things can change dramatically in a fairly short timeframe... we'll see

(dare i say it) its looking good so far....

Edited by bobbydog

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

That low is a bloomin' good thing as it draws the cold air from the continent on its northern flank!

It stalled in the modelling yesterday rather bizarrely but this is almost the ideal path to take.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

That low is a bloomin' good thing as it draws the cold air from the continent on its northern flank!

It stalled in the modelling yesterday rather bizarrely but this is almost the ideal path to take.

Would I be right in saying, all would benefit if the centre of the low passed through the channel rather than skirting the south coast?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

With -8 850s into the SE, and a long sea-track, things might be interesting?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

We seem destined for High Pressure to find it's way to the UK, no matter what path this Low Pressure over the Mid North Atlantic takes, the end result seems to be the placement of High pressure directly over the UK.

So my punt for this time next week is a continuation of the cold but with little in the way of Precipitation

h500slp.png

ecmt850.192.png

Edited by EML Network

Posted

gfs-0-168.png?12

is that another Tropical development heading up??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Would I be right in saying, all would benefit if the centre of the low passed through the channel rather than skirting the south coast?

It depends where you live. The further south you are, the less you want the northerly extent. The channel low situation will give occluded precip over southern counties and will create a strong cold easterly over east coasts with possible snow showers - Hypothetical of course - but that is what we would like to occur on the south coast. Further north less so.

Posted

The second ex-tropical feature is hot on it's heels, but where will that one go? Or will it just stall and pump up the block?

Just speculation as I don't think these features are being anywhere near consistently modelled yet, lots of swings in output to come.

h500slp.png