Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 18th December 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

....I know..But as far as I'm concerned BFT ,especially this year from start to finish, it's been hard to separate the two!!

But that's why we love Scotland? (or maybe better explained as some strange form of masochism/seasonal effective disorder variant).

A wee reminder...

winter-and-summer-in-scotland-1988-phyllis-kaltenbach.jpg

Wee bit sodden, squelchy, dreich hill n glen wi horizontal rain an aw that.

EDIT. Now 4.1 C - dropping about 1 C / hr or more.

EDIT, normally pish, but just ever so often....

post-9421-0-70733700-1356798872_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Temp has dropped from 11.2c here this morning to 3.9c, starting to feel a bit more on the chilly side out there. Following the lead from SS, the beer is back in the seasonal cooler :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long snowy winters, fresh spring, balmy summers, and cool crispy autumns

Hi guys, just all new to this, glad to see theres somewhere i can express my obsession/ frustration with our weather lol! Do u reckon any chance of snow in fife tonite? Lookn at charts it seems wer to far east, n wer only 60 asl so prob lookn unlikely. Brother in law up for hogmany fae birmingham, wud be gud to show him it takes more than a cm of snow before we grind to a halt hahaha :-)

Posted

Just in fir a trip to Ikea to get door and fridge locks as wee man no very mobile and inquisitive! Temp really has dropped, and a real chill in the air. Cold be an interesting night as this wee calm clear spell really lowering temps.

Posted

Hi guys, just all new to this, glad to see theres somewhere i can express my obsession/ frustration with our weather lol! Do u reckon any chance of snow in fife tonite? Lookn at charts it seems wer to far east, n wer only 60 asl so prob lookn unlikely. Brother in law up for hogmany fae birmingham, wud be gud to show him it takes more than a cm of snow before we grind to a halt hahaha :-)

Welcome to the Kilted Thread karimac! Forecasting snow is a really volitile thing with so many factors that contribute to snowfalls. So you can never be sure where and when it will snow until the actual event arrives. It seems like high ground in western areas should do well and some settlements in the western highlands may also get some accumilations. But for the majority this event is quite marginal so for some this could be an non-event and for others it could be a really nice surprise. The uppers probably will be marginal for snow in Fife so if there is precipitation overnight in Fife then it could go either way. The important factor to bear in mind is how far inland the showers will go - the westerly wind should feed some showers to eastern areas tonight in quite a strong flow. So if precipitation is present, the uppers are marginal then you would hope for the showers to be quite heavy and then there could be snow falling to low levels. I'd say that lying snow in Fife is unlikely at low levels but not impossible. This thread is the perfect place to be in following snow events and Cheggers should provide you with a page with important links for Scottish snowfall. It's always handy to be able to see a lampost and to view rainfall radar and there should be updates from other members who live in the Kingdom of Fife. I hope this helps :)

Posted

It's always handy to be able to see a lampost and to view rainfall radar and there should be updates from other members who live in the Kingdom of Fife. I hope this helps smile.png

Welcome to the Kilted Thread karimac. As mentioned by AWT the tools are in my signature, although the traffic cam page is broken again, as TrafficScotland are a little draconian on linking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long snowy winters, fresh spring, balmy summers, and cool crispy autumns

Thanks awt and cheggers. Lookn foward to tryn to understand our weather a bit better, find it all fascinating, some of threads on here way over my head, so thanks for being so friendly hahaha. Il keep u posted on the white stuff here, or lack of it more like! So far 7 degrees in glenrothes and clear, but i get quite a gud view west so lets just keep evrythn crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Dewpoints falling to around 1-2C so far, some very bright echoes showing up on the radar into the NW highlands with what appears to be a squall line massing just west of Ireland up to around St Kilda: time to man the radar and prepare for lamping!

Posted

Dewpoints falling to around 1-2C so far, some very bright echoes showing up on the radar into the NW highlands with what appears to be a squall line massing just west of Ireland up to around St Kilda: time to man the radar and prepare for lamping!

Radar showing the mass growing quite rapidly.

post-2849-0-16009400-1356803283_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Ah, St Kilda! Fortunate enough to visit the place twice and can categorically state that squall lines originate from there biggrin.png

Meanwhile, I quite like this image from the RSS James Clark Ross Research Ship currently steaming towards South Orkney isles, Antarctica.

It shows what we'll get this eveningrofl.gif

post-18389-0-38828400-1356803421_thumb.j

Posted

Ah, St Kilda! Fortunate enough to visit the place twice and can categorically state that squall lines originate from there biggrin.png

Meanwhile, I quite like this image from the RSS James Clark Ross Research Ship currently steaming towards South Orkney isles, Antarctica.

It shows what we'll get this eveningrofl.gif

Is that not a tugboat on the forth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Rapid drop in dewpoints in the last hour, down from 2.7C to 1C at Leuchars, with similar falls widely. Still up at 2.5C here but down from 3.4C an hour ago and this is a bit of an anomalous warm spot at times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Wow! Check oot all the snaw (masses of it) oot west. Every blob filled with snaw! Classic! Keep those temps tumbling and we could be in for something special later tonight.

post-18389-0-66577100-1356805140_thumb.j

Posted

TrafficScotland have weather station updates now.

http://trafficscotla...itemtypeids=16#

Have they not been about for a year or so or was it just for one or 2 stations? Or was it just the road surface temps? Interesting to look at anyway and glad we are getting access to more data and cams! - looking locally at the A77 nr Kilmarnock there has been a 1c temperature drop in 15 mins. Lets hope it contintues to fall at that rate! (Down here for Crimbo)

Edit: Ignore me, not a 1c drop just 2 diff weather stations !!

Edited by Ross B

Posted

Have they not been about for a year or so or was it just for one or 2 stations? Or was it just the road surface temps? Interesting to look at anyway and glad we are getting access to more data and cams! - looking locally at the A77 nr Kilmarnock there has been a 1c temperature drop in 15 mins. Lets hope it contintues to fall at that rate! (Down here for Crimbo)

Not sure, but never seen this much detail, and it's linking from the Cams.

Quite a few of the road signs from Stirling North and East stating Snaw Forecast. (All road signs in Perth EDO good.gif )

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Very impressive the way the showers are merging off the west coast. Hope the temps / dew points are ok. Some are sure to see snow. Please post pictures where possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Is that band of showers not more something organised as per the fax? Certainly looks like it on the sat pic BFT posted (slight swirl feature just N of Eire).

PPVA89.png

T = 2.4 C / DP = 1.1 C.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Is that band of showers not more something organised as per the fax? Certainly looks like it on the sat pic BFT posted (slight swirl feature just N or Eire).

PPVA89.png

T = 2.4 C / DP = 1.1 C.

It looks that way to me, not convinced it's an occlusion but certainly a trough/squall line.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Temp has dropped from high of 8.6 to 2.8 & dew point is now -0.3, not getting my hopes up but it would be nice to get a couple of cms of snow :)

Edited by Allyw12

Posted

Is that band of showers not more something organised as per the fax? Certainly looks like it on the sat pic BFT posted (slight swirl feature just N of Eire).

PPVA89.png

T = 2.4 C / DP = 1.1 C.

On the radar now, it's not far away from becoming a band of precipitation rather than showers. Wouldn't be surprised if its a joined feature once it starts to cross land