Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland regional discussion 21/12/12 and beyond

The watcher

Posted

Well, were certainly more favoured Pom being in the North East with some height.

Wouldnt fancy my chances in any ROI counties apart fromMeath, Louth, Monaghan and Donegall.

Posted

Latest gfs output is a step backwards for us I'm afraid. Cold getting pushed east. At the mo most are probably looking at a rain evEnt. Time for change though but as ever when we get closer in downgrades!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow!
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow!

Wouldnt fancy my chances in any ROI counties apart fromMeath, Louth, Monaghan and Donegall.

Can you squeeze Longford into that :-)

Posted

You can put Northern Ireland into the snow category as well I think. I just cannot for love nor money see this happening for us going by latest gfs! We really need the cold to move east for us. Time will tell and I hope I'm so so wrong but all I can see is rain rain rain!

Posted

To add to my above. The latest further outlook mentions periods of rain for he west with maybe hill snow. Just don't think it's going to happen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

cold night with severe frost. overnight low of -2.6c. nice crisp chilly afternoon.

ukmo looks best today for snow, possibly most the country seeing snow by sunday.

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rukm1201.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2401.gif

this is ecm.00z at day 10. greenland high trying to develop, which would be much better for us snow wise.

the nao isn't playing ball this winter, its a pity, for we would be seeing 47 type winter.

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted

I see we have our first weather warning for Snow on Friday - expect upgrades!!

Issued at - 15 Jan 2013, 12:33

Valid from - 18 Jan 2013, 09:00

Valid to - 18 Jan 2013, 23:55

As the weather breaks down, there is the potential for a spell of snow to spread from the southwest. As winds strengthen, blizzard conditions are a possibility, especially over high ground. Accumulations of 2-5 cm are possible quite widely and in some locations, especially higher ground,

Edited by Pomeroysnow

Posted

Stormforce and pomeroysnow that is music to my ears. I'm still very uncertain but that sounds good ref snow for fri and Greenland high! I would love to be wrong! Here's off upgrades

Posted

I think we will see a warning for Saturday as well

going by the ukmo we could get a pasting at the weekend.heres hoping for upgrades pom.

whats interesting too the cold looks like going nowhere, a greenland blocklooks very possible, if that happens i for sure will be very excited.

Posted

Indeed Storm - next week looks rather interesting snow wise me thinks!!

where did weather warning come from?

Posted

Incidentally the Met Office warning has been drawn through to include some ROI counties namely Dublin, Louth,Monaghan.

Whether deliberate or not, who knows.

If it does fall as snow im sure there will be a lot more than 2-5cm.

Posted

Bring on the Snow :) I miss it.

From NIW -

The possibility of Heavy Snow this weekend is looking more and more likely. We may issue an Early Warning regarding this later this afternoon. Please stay tuned to weather forecasts and check our page for updates. If snow occurs there is likely to be some travel disruption during the weekend.

www.facebook.com/northernirelandweather

Posted

where did weather warning come from?

Met Office - I see MS beat me to it!

Incidentally the Met Office warning has been drawn through to include some ROI counties namely Dublin, Louth,Monaghan.

Whether deliberate or not, who knows.

If it does fall as snow im sure there will be a lot more than 2-5cm.

Potential for upto 15cm in hillier parts - and as you know MS my part is rather hillyrofl.gif

Posted

Well the met office have just issued a weather warning for Northern Ireland on Friday so maybe not all rain for ireland

Posted

Been following this thread for a few days ... just logged in today on the laptop - very excited about the prospect of snow at the Weekend - although means I might not get to go up to Ballymoney (I'm in Belfast) to see my cousins if the roads are bad :(

Pretty cold here at the minute

I know very little about reading weather models, forecasting etc... I do know they can change very quickly etc..but how's it looking for next week at the minute?

Posted

Well the met office have just issued a weather warning for Northern Ireland on Friday so maybe not all rain for ireland

Yes, the gfs is suggesting one scenario but other models are suggesting something different - inasmuch as any of them can be considered accurate at the moment - so don't take the gfs output as gospel. It would only take a very small shift for us to be buried under snow. Or, of course, to miss out altogether, but things do still seem to be moving our way at the moment.