Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 4th January 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Lol yeah features disabled to help avoid any outages from increased load or corruptions im guessing. Used to happen during all busy spells back in the early days.

Now back on. God knows what it'll be like if the south east gets something like a January 1987 or whole of the British Isles plunges into a deep freeze!

Posted

T96 Fax looking rather tasty too, 528 thickness line moved well over 95% of Scotland, and we know what that means don't we? Especially with a wee cold front heading in.

fax96s.gif?08-12

Posted

Is the 18z out, kinda of lost track due to technically issues

Yeah, the buzz of the whole event was reduced due to the stop-start affair. It's like playing a football match during a harsh winter. lol http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20921260

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Don't get too over excited, a wee cold snap then we're hanging on to cold outliers.

diablo.gif

GEFS not coming onboard fully is a very slight concern but still a concern, fortunately the ECM, ECM ensembles, UKMO, MOGREPS, BOM, GEM and even the Chinese model are all onboard and would all be cold outliers by the standards of the GEFS. I really hope it moves towards the rest of the output tomorrow though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Hey guys i am in work and cant view the models. Can someone tell me if its looking good for the Glasgow area? I know the east will do best but would like to know if my area will see anything? Thanks ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just a mad, mad pub run from the GFS that 240 chart and what follows is cryogenic.

Ensembles show some huge divergence, guess this may be an example of what Ian F was referring to as record shannon entropy.. these for Iceland and the locale of the block. Control run and operational drinking in different pubs !

post-7292-0-33037600-1357687769_thumb.gi

Let's hope the operational pub is the venue of choice in 10 days time.

post-7292-0-40799300-1357687987_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hey guys i am in work and cant view the models. Can someone tell me if its looking good for the Glasgow area? I know the east will do best but would like to know if my area will see anything? Thanks tease.gif

Sunday night into Monday has real potential for you, after that who knows, most runs give quite widespread snowmaggedon, with snowmaggedon being most intense in central southern England but fairly severe even into eastern Scotland, more intermittent snowmaggedon for the north and west of Scotland but still above average snowmaggedon totals.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

when LS says snowmageddon my 2 days of manflu subside and see me perk up..... must get better for next weeks sledging...keep up great work guys....i knew things were good when the server was down smile.png

Edited by edodfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Did someone say there MIGHT be some snow soon?

post-18260-0-54414200-1357688942_thumb.j

post-18260-0-60621200-1357688955_thumb.j

post-18260-0-68901300-1357688970_thumb.j

post-18260-0-06800200-1357688981_thumb.j

post-18260-0-51661900-1357688988_thumb.j

Posted

when LS says snowmageddon my 2 days of manflu subside and see me perk up..... must get better for next weeks sledging...keep up great work guys....i knew things were good when the server was down smile.png

I will however highlight the line 'most runs'. We can't rule out a massive collapse of this just yet, so I'd give it time to see if that does happen. I doubt it frankly, but let's not leave ourselves open a huge let down here. The weekend is close enough to being nailded on, after that isn't yet, so caution advised. If we get the blocking ball rolling though, and we'll know that by Thursday for sure I'd imagine, snowmaggedon may well lie ahead.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Lol it's ok captain Lomond don't panic as in this thread we know nothing is ever nailed on and will be no gnashing of teeth and I told u so's etc if it does not happen......tasty charts though and all good fun and amazing how all the SSW doubters are so quiet now after caning so many good people who have spent countless hours researching to try and understand our weather better.....

U can only comment on what u see

We see Not mibbees naw but great chance of SNAW

Posted

Lol it's ok captain Lomond don't panic as in this thread we know nothing is ever nailed on and will be no gnashing of teeth and I told u so's etc if it does not happen......tasty charts though and all good fun and amazing how all the SSW doubters are so quiet now after caning so many good people who have spent countless hours researching to try and understand our weather better.....

U can only comment on what u see

We see Not mibbees naw but great chance of SNAW

I know, it's always great to see how level headed this thread is pretty much all of the time, hopefully this saintly patience will be rewardedgood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Although it's prudent to say we have to remain cautious, I think we are all well past the point of no return looking at today's charts!laugh.png What will be will be I suppose, but maybe, just for once, what we are seeing now will materialise and, possibly develop into something that not very many on here have experienced before. (Who am I kidding! I think I'm the oldest on here and even I haven't experienced anything like a 1947!)laugh.png I don't think I will be able to sleep thru' the 00zs, so will probably be up at stupid o clock watching every frame!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Good on you Blitzen! As tempting as it is (and it is!) I can't stay awake any longer. lazy.gif

Fingers crossed it's a morning corker!good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Just in from work.

Thanks LS, I really enjoy reading your posts, you give lots of great information.

Looking forward to the 00z.

Posted

Just in from work.

Thanks LS, I really enjoy reading your posts, you give lots of great information.

Looking forward to the 00z.

Cheers, I really hope it sticks to the 12Z script.

Posted

Yikes - I wouldn't want to be in Scandinavia.

Rtavn3002.png

Edited by GraemeB

The FAX charts look quite interesting, the fronts do seem to be decaying but could still produce some precip:

post-2844-0-10640100-1357712868_thumb.gi

post-2844-0-95518700-1357712876_thumb.gi

Regardless of how this pans out long term we'd all have sold our souls to the SnowDevil for charts like these a couple of weeks ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long snowy winters, fresh spring, balmy summers, and cool crispy autumns

Woohoo! Morning all! NEED TO SCRAPE THE CAR THE DAY! At long last we r returning to normal! Canny help but excited for the wknd and beyond... Im tryn to be cautious but NAH! Jist no ma style... Meh he he he he... Snaw cackle

Posted

Woohoo! Morning all! NEED TO SCRAPE THE CAR THE DAY! At long last we r returning to normal! Canny help but excited for the wknd and beyond... Im tryn to be cautious but NAH! Jist no ma style... Meh he he he he... Snaw cackle

I'm the eternal pessimist. I really don't think we'll get anything this weekend....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long snowy winters, fresh spring, balmy summers, and cool crispy autumns

Aw mon graeme, is this your way of no temptn fate lol? Jist do a wee quiet snaw cackle, or a wee snaw hum hahaha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I'll take the ECM 00Z. Sub -5 T850's from +72 right to the end with E turning to a Nor'Easter of sorts by day 10!

Some nice choice charts

Sun 00:00

ecmt850.096.png

ecmt850.168.png

Week on Sat

ecmt850.240.png

GFS good too; gives us -10 uppers to kick off as wondered about before. Then tries to push the cauld away E and become more mobile, but this is in FI at ~168 and well away from the mean so not worth worrying about at this stage, particularly with the GFS famous for over egging lows.

Sunday looks fun

h850t850eu.png

Ensembles

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20130109/00/t850Aberdeenshire.png

I'd say it's safe to continue ramping in modest fashion!

Edited by scottish skier