Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Damp squib! Little drizzle all morning. Now overcast with nothing falling. *YAWN* !!

its always the case here around the falkirk area in marginal snow events as we just dont have the elevation hopefully things will look up for us over the next few days with the winds to come in from the east

Posted

1.0c/0.6c/SSW Like elsewhere, on/off all morning. Currently on. Very encouraging Countryfile forecast for us in the east it has to be said. Looks as if they are looking to next weekend too. I wonder if that large deep low which was on the 06z this morning will still be there? Might cause havoc here in the east if positioned correctly and we keep the cold uppers? Wednesday temps overnight look as if they will shiver some timbers!

Hopefully shiver my shovel for clearing the drive Thursday morning......

Posted

Heaviest snow of the day now here. Still looks pretty wet stuff though, not lying where I am.

Similar conditions here Richard and to be honest, it is more than I was expecting this afternoon, which may be a good sign for the next few days. Either thar or it is because the weather is currently not coming in off the sea. Whichever way you look at it looks like being a very interesting few days here (but hopefully not for the wrong reasons)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long snowy winters, fresh spring, balmy summers, and cool crispy autumns

Bak to snow here again but still canny lie cos its too wet.

Am away oot with my extension cable n hair dryer to dry the ground

Posted

we have about an inch lying here on most surfaces however it is getting a bit patchy on the road now aswell as bits of the pavement. No marginality called into question here so far, evrything that's fell from the sky has been snow and it continues to snow lightly at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long snowy winters, fresh spring, balmy summers, and cool crispy autumns

Aw wait. Hopless. Bak to sleet

Posted

Still some flakes floating about so what ppn there is around is staying as snow so far. This mornings thin covering is fading fast. Not sure what to expect over the next few days. Models and forecasts changing all the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

some light snow in cumbernauld, sky is very grey- but ground is sodden wet, what a waste of snow!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Well the neurotic precipitation continues by now reverting back to snowflakes. Still not settling though, has been trying but just too wet on the ground.

Same here UP here :D such a waste of Snow it's just pointless if it's not lying on the ground :(

Temp now 0.8/-1.4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Moderate snow, medium to big flakes. Not settling on wet ground. Earlier cover is patchy now. Still pure white on local hills above 175m.

Posted

East coasters i.e. Aberdeenshire, Angus and Borders mostly, on the plus side the latest (12z) NAE data has the precipitation a little less marginal (for the former two regions and it never really showed rain in the Borders) for this evening. On the downside it looks a little lighter:

Until 6pm http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/13/basis12/ukuk/prty/13011318_2_1312.gif

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/13/basis12/ukuk/prty/13011400_2_1312.gif Until midnight

Across the Central Belt it is more of a mixed/messy picture.

It is incredibly marginal here currently, alternating between cold rain, sleet and snow in Aberdeen City - I hope I am not taking the NAE too literall when it shows snow later. The only reason I do so is because it currently has the borderline between wet and white over the city and that is exactly what we have. Time will tell - as will looking out of the window!

Posted

Moderate snow on again here. Wet

Today must have been very close to being a reasonable snow event. The snow thats falling is fairly dry again

Posted

It's still snowing here, but it's very wet and getting patchy now. I guess what's there will freeze overnight now so a good base for whatever comes this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well its still managing to snow here - even at my elevation! Uppers must be more favourable here. Light falling snow again - nothing sticking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

why dont we have an ensemble suite that can show how just all the main operational outputs and to compare them with each other as i think that would be pretty good to see

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

A non event snow gone now.felt more like late March snow today rather than mid Jan.BBC have rain for central scotland tomorrow.what happened to biting cold.

Posted

Any traces of snow that we're on the grass/roofs/cars have totally disappeared

Posted

Edinburgh City Council must have a surplus of grit they have to get rid of given the depth of the stuff they've just dumped on the pavements here! Unreal!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Still light snaw here. T starting to slip down. At 0.8 C from a max of 1.0 C.

Posted

Looks like the Met Office is not going with its own data for tomorrow?

Here's ther forecast for this region:

"Headline:

Rain and sleet on Monday with snow on higher ground....Monday: Cloudy with further rain and sleet and snow on higher ground. Drier weather will follow to Moray and west Aberdeenshire during the day. Cold with light winds. Maximum temperature 4 °C."

And for much of the same time the NAE data says: http://expert-images...011412_1312.gif

Confusing. I wonder why they have overruled their own mesoscale output??

Edited by doctormog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Yes all forecasts pointing to rain for tomorrow?!

What's happening?

Posted

A non event snow gone now.felt more like late March snow today rather than mid Jan.BBC have rain for central scotland tomorrow.what happened to biting cold.

I'm gearing up for a good moan too - had more or less lost interest in low level snow during the 2000s due to its scarcity (bar the odd one day wonder like March 2006) and was content to get a snow fix on the Munros but 2009/2010 raised the hopes again. It's all been a bit underwhelming ever since really. Also, my central heating has packed in today!

Hopefully we'll see something moving through the central belt during the week but the east and particularly eastern England looks more favoured. Hopefully at the very least the hills will get a reasonable dumping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Been snowing all day here but very very light and fine, now starting to get bigger flakes and it's lying. Hills all white.