Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

First front gave nowt here in fact the suns out again, 3c.

Posted

First front gave nowt here in fact the suns out again, 3c.

I think there's more precip to come from this front? Precip is fragmented, but there's a big blob out in the Irish sea which is still part of this front I think? Also the precip further North seems to be sinking - I hope anyway, nothing here yet!

Posted

Happy birthday Jay, have a cracking one drinks.gif

Cheers andy, ali - booked tomorrow off work for my bday, may aswell seeing as it only happens once a year! watching the bbc weather forecast it looks like snow stalls over SE wales from 6pm until 12am/1am tonight so if it's heavy enough could well give us a good few inches!

Posted

A few flakes in the air here now, temp dropped slightly to 1.9c, dp -2.2c which is good means it might settle if it gets heavier. It's coming guys and gals, heading south-east as I speak!

Posted

even though the mountains are getting snowed on around my area nothing at all here...weird.. dont think we will do well in the west until tommorow night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had nothing here, just been cloudy despite radar showing precip for here! Don't think we will see much if anything from this!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

NAE is supportive of a dangler tomorrow:- 13011500_1306.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

I don't care really if we don't get any snow in the cold spell as long as when the Atlantic and Warmer air starts to attack the cold block we get a big frontal snow event like we've had in the past. I remember previous winters where we've had no snow just cold for ages while the east got loads but then the Atlantic would dump snow on us. Today will probably give my area snow like we had in December. The tiniest of dusting. I'm not expecting much. Il be happy if we do get a few cm tho. I'm still printing my accountancy assignment off and getting my bag ready. I expect to be in Uni in the morning :(

Posted

I don't care really if we don't get any snow in the cold spell as long as when the Atlantic and Warmer air starts to attack the cold block we get a big frontal snow event like we've had in the past. I remember previous winters where we've had no snow just cold for ages while the east got loads but then the Atlantic would dump snow on us. Today will probably give my area snow like we had in December. The tiniest of dusting. I'm not expecting much. Il be happy if we do get a few cm tho. I'm still printing my accountancy assignment off and getting my bag ready. I expect to be in Uni in the morning sad.png

At least your not doing 3 geography exams...

Posted

Steady, light snow here now. Settling in patches but not generally (yet). Temp down to 1.4c (that's evaporative cooling for you), dp -2.5c.

Posted

At least your not doing 3 geography exams...

Good luck with them Geography A level is hard. I found it difficult anyway. I got an exam on weds. I had 3 3000 words assignments in last week it was horrible. Busiest week I've ever had because I left everything to the last minute...... That'll teach me not to leave things to last minute!

Edited by Wales123098

Posted

Steady, light snow here now. Settling in patches but not generally (yet). Temp down to 1.4c (that's evaporative cooling for you), dp -2.5c.

still waiting...lot long...will it be rain or snow......the tension is what I call killing me!

Posted

just rode from Newport to Cwmcarn along the canal ice not thawing in Cwmcarn and a dusting of snow on Twmbarlum mountain at 400mtrs no ice on the canal though.anyway it was a nice ride and a welcome hot coffee at Cwmcarn mountain bike centre.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: eira mawr yn y gaeaf, braf yn y haf

Dim byd in Caerphilly/Aber Valley yet. Clouded over and strangely still, like waiting for something to happen. Getting colder ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Where is a good site to find my height above sea level? I've used earth tools but not sure how good that is! Cloud Looks thicker now but still nothing falling yet!

Posted

#

you just love your danglers don't ya

I hope your not putting that in a different context then no ahahahaha

can't wait

Posted

Apariently according to NW extra there is prep right over me but its completely dry :s

Posted

Dim byd in Caerphilly/Aber Valley yet. Clouded over and strangely still, like waiting for something to happen. Getting colder ...

Where are you exactly, WeatherGirl? If you're in the Aber Valley you're just over the mountain from me, and there's a dusting of snow on the mountain between here and Senghenydd (383m).

Just like in a lot of places, it's bone dry here despite precipitation supposedly being overhead.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Latest NAE is rolling out now and its not much different in terms of Snowfall distribution tonight.

Lets look at the precipitation chart for this evening:

http://expert-images...1321_2_1312.gif < @ 9hrs

http://expert-images...1321_2_1312.gif < Dew points across Wales - Around freezing or below/Rising higher in the west as the front makes it's way through.

Rolled forward to midnight:

http://expert-images...1400_2_1312.gif < Precipitation

http://expert-images...1400_2_1312.gif < Dew points

Upper air temperatures rising slightly from the west from -5 to around -4C:

http://expert-images...1321_2_1312.gif

http://expert-images...1400_2_1312.gif

Again you can see the area of dew points around freezing Mid/East/South Wales and the upper air temps starting at -5C before rising further ties in with my thinking of initial snow.

Best chance of snow in mid/east Wales of course

But initial snow for those inland away from the immediate coast as always really before reverting to rain:

http://expert-images...1400_2_1312.gif < Rain/Snow Distribution chart

Posted

Where is a good site to find my height above sea level? I've used earth tools but not sure how good that is! Cloud Looks thicker now but still nothing falling yet!

On bing maps you can switch to OS map, this has contour lines whih show the altitude.

Here's a quick pic to show what I mean about settling in patches. Still snowing lightly but was a little heavier a few mins ago - radar suggests I'll have to wait for quite a while before it intensifies again - my 'blob' has headed off south towards Brecon and beyond, watch out valleys - your turn soon!

post-13083-0-94735500-1358091224_thumb.j

Temp now down to 1.0c (not sure why it's still falling now precip less intense, may be just the approach of night time or may be the benefit of having some snow on the ground (and presumably better cover in the surrounding hills). Dew Point -2.6c.