Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Afternoon All! At last a bit of winter weather action!

Looks like quite a few snow ops over the next few days- always more marginal in the west...

Perhaps a bit of snow Weds morning for us south westerners, with the latest GFS-

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20130113/12/66/prectypeuktopo.png

Good luck, wherever you are!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Funny enough for a while now the 18th has be mentioned as blizzard day for Wales her we go http://www.meteociel...20-21.GIF?13-17

unbelievable chart, would be blizzard conditions for sure, SE winds, uppers dont have to be as high because of the lower DP's

Posted

Cold out, just starting to snow, lightly. Will it pick up as we go on through the night?

Oh yes, that UKMO tonight - What a chart, we would be wading through deep snow IF it comes off.

Started to come down much quicker now, but still light. Looks like if it gets heavier it will stick!

Edited by Daniel Miller

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

What's this about Friday 18th being down as a blizzard day for Wales then? I love all this Meteorological mythology. rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Funny enough for a while now the 18th has be mentioned as blizzard day for Wales her we go UN120-21.GIF?13-17

Nice but won't happen

Posted

What's this about Friday 18th being down as a blizzard day for Wales then? I love all this Meteorological mythology. rofl.gif

A few of the unliked Forecasters had 18th to the 20th as the most severe spell of weather in the UK forcasted 4 weeks ago.drinks.gif Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Its all down to the wonderful UKMO 12z run ;) we all know its 90% that it wont verify but its nice to look at, plus the countryfile forecast for friday may also look nice ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Hi, obviously no snow in my part of the world this evening, sleet at best maybe! Just wondering what may be in store towards the end of the week? Overheard a customer at work say we may be in for some snow 'later on in the week'? Always a worry as I have work at 6am and these countryside roads are always left untreated!

Posted

The Welsh Blizzard Friday 18th that's what! (or perhaps not)

Posted

Cold out, just starting to snow, lightly. Will it pick up as we go on through the night?

Oh yes, that UKMO tonight - What a chart, we would be wading through deep snow IF it comes off.

Started to come down much quicker now, but still light. Looks like if it gets heavier it will stick!

looking at the radar It doesn't look like its going to be much at all if im honest sorry to tell you this.

Posted

looking at the radar It doesn't look like its going to be much at all if im honest sorry to tell you this.

Nope, doesn't look it, already finished!

But, that's my third day of snowfall this winter! (Albeit totaling around 0.2 mm) :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Met Office article regarding upcoming cold & snow for the UK. Also includes some snow accumulation maps for Monday & Tuesday:

http://www.metoffice...d-snow-continue

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Guys and Gals, Thurday/Friday could be very interesting especially for us in Wales, the UKMO and GFS both give us a very snowy outlook, however they give it to us via different routes, if the ECM comes onboard then it might get a bit more interesting, I will keep my eye very closely on the developments, and ill keep you updated if you dont follow the model thread.

Btw good luck to everyone and hopefully you will see snow tonight!

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

I have this strange white flaky stuff coming out of a cloud,,,I hear some all it snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Guys and Gals, Thurday/Friday could be very interesting especially for us in Wales, the UKMO and GFS both give us a very snowy outlook, however they give it to us via different routes, if the ECM comes onboard then it might get a bit more interesting, I will keep my eye very closely on the developments, and ill keep you updated if you dont follow the model thread.

Btw good luck to everyone and hopefully you will see snow tonight!

Every event gets downgraded near the event , 8 out of 10 times this happens , the end of the week will be the same.

Posted

Light snow again here after an hour or so of dry. Temp is -0.1c now which is encouraging, doesn't look too much more preip to come from the first front here after the next hour or so, may be some showers behind the front but the high pressure will tend to snuffle these out a bit. Then will be interesting to what extent temps rise as the warm sector approaches. The first front has reached us much quicker than forecast even on the 12z NMM so second front may be early as well, if it comes before daylight tomorrow then upland and eastern parts of Wales may be able to keep mostly snow rather than rain.

NWerly flow still forecast for tomorrow night but uppers look marginal (again). More snow potential later in the week, all marginal again, but I suppose if you have enough marginal situations then one of them is going to go just right and give us a dumping eventually.

Posted

Is it not so much that they are 'downgraded' rather they are over hyped up in the first place? (re SSIB)

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Well a few small flakes in the air. Ground completely dry. Really nothing to talk about.

Posted

Every event gets downgraded near the event , 8 out of 10 times this happens , the end of the week will be the same.

I think more that every event gets more over-egged the further out it is forecast. We all tend to post the chart that shows the best snow potential and I'm as guilty of that as anyone, whereas few of us like to play the killjoy when a bad chart comes out (and to be fair anyone who does try to downplay cold & snow in the model thread is really setting themselves up to be shot down).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Appariently NWextra radar the precip above me is fairly moderate!

Posted

Snow is getting heavier here now. Starting to stick on the road (side road I hasten to add lol). Tredegar 330m or thereabouts!

Posted

Appariently NWextra radar the precip above me is fairly moderate!

Yes but it is evaporating!