Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I'm dismayed by rapid rise in temps, 2.0c here now (a 1c rise since I last posted), dp is -1.8c but I expect that to rise close to freezing once precip arrives, gonna be very marginal for snow to settle.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Well pretty certain the mild sector is arriving here even ahead of precipitation, currently a cloudy 2c/ dew point -1.5c

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

0.5c here and sunny. Temperature did rise to 0.9c but has fallen back a bit in the last half an hour. Weather station warning me of snow in the next 12 hours. Temperature went down to -3.2c last night, hasn't been that low in a few weeks. Ground is frozen which is good.

Posted

Ok I'm lost doesn't take much admittedly I thought we were off for snow today the charts show rain but met office have my postcode as an amber alert for snow. cc_confused.gif

Posted

Not even gonna look at next week,were supposed to have snow this week,they are saying snow next week,then by next week it will be rain,finding it really difficult to understand what went wrong. It is freezing outside,I suppose that's better than the mild mush of late

Were we? I certainly did not expect any, nor did the models I looked at, only the potential by this weekend which is what we now have.

Ok I'm lost doesn't take much admittedly I thought we were off for snow today the charts show rain but met office have my postcode as an amber alert for snow. cc_confused.gif

You are high enough to see a little this afternoon possibly, and again should wintry showers form tomorrow evening.

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Countryfile weather in a bit.....(around 10 minutes)

I suggest everyone watches :)

Should give an idea of uncertainly..

Posted

It's not a case of the models "Don't have a clue" but in these sorts of weather conditions they "Jump around" as they are unsure of what might happen because of the marginality of the set up

I just thought it amazing how close were the two outputs a week apart, that seems lost on you though, never mind!

People in here are often heard to utter 'the models are clueless' and the like are they not?blum.gif

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Countryfile weather in a bit.....(around 10 minutes)

I suggest everyone watches smile.png

Should give an idea of uncertainly..

You missed it Sam!

From what I recall: snow risk really only Midlands eastwards tonight and tomorrow (bar initial snow for inland Wales), even turning to sleet and rain there in places. Cardigan Bay snow showers highlighted tomorrow evening. Wales generally dry, cold and frosty Wed to Fri, then uncertainty with fronts approaching the west come Friday and the weekend. Battleground possibilities arising as a result (agreeable with my outlook except I went a touch colder!). .

Edited by TonyH

Posted

You missed it Sam!

No...it's on now....haha

Posted

I just thought it amazing how close were the two outputs a week apart, that seems lost on you though, never mind!

People in here are often heard to utter 'the models are clueless' and the like are they not?blum.gif

The trouble is the GFS throws out 4 charts a day, 7 days a week, and so it's got a decent chance of chucking out one that verifies at 7 day range. In the middle of last week the GFS ditched the correct solution and showed several runs with the low pressure going over the top of a sinking block, which hasn't happened (fortunately). I think the point is that it does show in successive runs a range of solutions that can verify (i.e. it isn't 'clueless' as its solutions are plausible), and the one that you show did.

Posted

Thanks TonyH , I would be so pleased to see some snow as I thought it was all off for my neck of the woods clap.gif . I have just checked and i joined this forum 3 years ago yesterday thank you to everyone who has kept me entertained by the will it/ won't it postings drinks.gif

Posted

It coming down quite heavy now here in north Wales! Exciting!

Great to hear! Would it be possible to put your location in your profile so that we know where abouts you are?

Posted

The trouble is the GFS throws out 4 charts a day, 7 days a week, and so it's got a decent chance of chucking out one that verifies at 7 day range. In the middle of last week the GFS ditched the correct solution and showed several runs with the low pressure going over the top of a sinking block, which hasn't happened (fortunately). I think the point is that it does show in successive runs a range of solutions that can verify (i.e. it isn't 'clueless' as its solutions are plausible), and the one that you show did.

Well for one that was 'chucked out' it was eerily exact! Points taken on board however.smile.png

With regard to GFS, it picked out the initial SSW very well indeed, far more consistent than ECM, and indeed the forecast of the effects it led the way, the forecast shown by Tony for 7 days out was excellent

GFS also has the habit of picking a trend first, getting it right and then ditching it, only to come back around later.

However, it like all models have fluctuated a lot over the past week, understandably given the unusual synoptics, it is very tricky to pick out a winner

if the block turns out to win they I would say UKMO/GEM have got this better modelled (they have been the ones most bullish about keeping the block)

While if the Atlantic comes back in, then I would say ECM/GFS have been closer to the mark.

But we can't really call it until this weeks weather has actually occurred.

Edited by Jackone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Yeah I'm Deiniolen, therefore a bit high! Still snowing here with a slight dusting. Flakes a bigger now than earlier!

Posted

A little dusting remaining above 250m on Mynydd Machen at 9am this morning. Fingers crossed for the snowline to drop another 150m over the next 48hrs. I skied from the top, literally to my front door in Dec 2010. Don't think we'll get those depths again but would settle for a few cm down into the valley out of this.

Posted

BBC just showed snow over Cardiff from 7pm till around 12am, could see a few inches maybe! Nice little upgrade and a nice birthday present

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAY FROM ALL AT THE WELSH NET WEATHER FORUM AND THE STAFF AND ME AT WALES-WEATHER.WEBS.COM - HAVE A GOOD UNsmiliz39.gifhelp.gifgood.giftease.gif

A little dusting remaining above 250m on Mynydd Machen at 9am this morning. Fingers crossed for the snowline to drop another 150m over the next 48hrs. I skied from the top, literally to my front door in Dec 2010. Don't think we'll get those depths again but would settle for a few cm down into the valley out of this.

Y

YES WE WILL IT'LL BE HERE BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK MATE! lol

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Temps up to 4c now, too warm for snow !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Temp rising fast now 2.1c. Starting to cloud over.

Netweather Extra radar has precip near.

Posted

BBC just showed snow over Cardiff from 7pm till around 12am, could see a few inches maybe! Nice little upgrade and a nice birthday present

Happy birthday Jay, have a cracking one drinks.gif